C/W Adam Mascherin (2016, 38th, FLA; unsigned; 2018, 100th, DAL)

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
His size is a non-issue to me. Kid was built like a truck the second he stepped foot in the OHL. Biggest concern with Mascherin is his skating.

DMoran0788

Jan 6, 2016
People compare Mascherin to skinner but his skating reminds me more of Tavares when he played junior - skating with legs apart which causes short strides and that requires a lot of energy to get from one point to another. Guys like Tavares trained to fix that part of their game. It is a fixable trait. The shot, hockey sense etc not sure you can teach.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
People compare Mascherin to skinner but his skating reminds me more of Tavares when he played junior - skating with legs apart which causes short strides and that requires a lot of energy to get from one point to another. Guys like Tavares trained to fix that part of their game. It is a fixable trait. The shot, hockey sense etc not sure you can teach.

That's why I really want him at 31. His offensive skillset is not 25 picks worse than Tkachuk/Nylander.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Still surprised this kid didn't get more hype.

He's going to tear up the OHL this season.

4g 14a in 8gp so far.

I think a lot of people were hoping their team would pick him in the 2nd. I was certainly hoping the Flames would find a way to take him. Everything about his game reminds me of Cammalleri.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
My favorite panthers prospect.. his shot and release are insane and I haven't seen a release like his before... I'm surprised by the assist total so far... thought he woukd be closer to 40-60 goal assist ratio

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
My favorite panthers prospect.. his shot and release are insane and I haven't seen a release like his before... I'm surprised by the assist total so far... thought he woukd be closer to 40-60 goal assist ratio
Bracco is scoring a fair amount, they also beat up what looks to be a very bad Guelph team.

I fully expected Mascherin to explode this year, him and Bracco is probably the best offensive pairing in the OHL. Vilardi and Brown will give them a run (and are significantly better prospects), but they will put up a bunch of points.

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
I had Macsh and Sokolov as my steals of thew draft. Mascherin is my favorite prospects out of this years draft, he's got a shot that could rival Laine's and is a catalyst everytime he steps on the ice.

Panthers got a good one here.

Im Old Gregggg

Jun 22, 2010
Kitchener, On
Had a nice vantage point to see it live, jumped out of my seat.... he straight up broke that dman's ankles lol

Also Mascherin and Bracco are a match made in heaven chemistry wise

Rich247

Sep 28, 2014
Want to know you pick the selections for the Canadian world junior team for 2017 and left off Adam. Based upon this line up it must have been someone with ties to the whl. Only about five players from the ohl and no defense man at all. Please someone tell me how some of these guys selected belong there before Adam. What does the kid have to do to make it. Guess he will just have to lead the ohl in scoring before he gets some credit. Wow. Comment please!!!!

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
Want to know you pick the selections for the Canadian world junior team for 2017 and left off Adam. Based upon this line up it must have been someone with ties to the whl. Only about five players from the ohl and no defense man at all. Please someone tell me how some of these guys selected belong there before Adam. What does the kid have to do to make it. Guess he will just have to lead the ohl in scoring before he gets some credit. Wow. Comment please!!!!

Analytics aren't good enough I guess.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

The people picking the team have ties to the QMJHL. I'm surprised that Mascherin wasn't invited, but I don't think it's some anti-OHL agenda. The OHL has had some weak classes lately.

Mar 12, 2009
The people picking the team have ties to the QMJHL. I'm surprised that Mascherin wasn't invited, but I don't think it's some anti-OHL agenda. The OHL has had some weak classes lately.

I thought he had a 50/50 shot or maybe slightly higher, not terribly surprised. It's a 19 year olds tournament so not surprised any of those guys made it over him and most of the other invites that are his age are of similar or greater pedigree. For me, he would almost have to play top 6 in a scoring role to be effective (not the best two way game/game away from the puck), my guess is they don't feel they need him in that role with the other options they have. He should have a very good chance next year.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
As much as I like Mascherin, I can totally see why Canada had question marks on him. By and large, they like 200-foot players with non-stop motors who can play up and down the lineup. Verstatile, fast, aggressive checkers with finish. Adam really only checks one of those boxes (finish).

Yes, it's important to have those guys, but as you saw in the Super Series, his impact was limited against the up-tempo checking. He likes to pick his spots and find soft spots in coverage and he's deadly when he gets his chance. But Team Canada prefers all active participants in the play who make their own chances rather than elite snipers who need the bulk of the work to come from linemates.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

I thought he had a 50/50 shot or maybe slightly higher, not terribly surprised. It's a 19 year olds tournament so not surprised any of those guys made it over him and most of the other invites that are his age are of similar or greater pedigree. For me, he would almost have to play top 6 in a scoring role to be effective (not the best two way game/game away from the puck), my guess is they don't feel they need him in that role with the other options they have. He should have a very good chance next year.

As much as I like Mascherin, I can totally see why Canada had question marks on him. By and large, they like 200-foot players with non-stop motors who can play up and down the lineup. Verstatile, fast, aggressive checkers with finish. Adam really only checks one of those boxes (finish).

Yes, it's important to have those guys, but as you saw in the Super Series, his impact was limited against the up-tempo checking. He likes to pick his spots and find soft spots in coverage and he's deadly when he gets his chance. But Team Canada prefers all active participants in the play who make their own chances rather than elite snipers who need the bulk of the work to come from linemates.
Agree pretty much with what is being said here. While he is drastically outperforming guys like McLeod and Senyshyn in the OHL this year, but they suit a 4th line energy role with PK duties more than Mascherin does.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I can't see how they can leave his hot at home especially for pp.. he is also a very underrated playmaker.. no player on the team has a shot like him.. he is a sturdy well built kid and is fine on the forecheck.. yes his play away from puck and d zone isn't that good but he is a weapon that could be very useful

Rich247

Sep 28, 2014
Selected nick merkley of the whl. No offense to the kid but he ranks 110 scoring in the whl and Adan Mascherin ranks 4 th in the ohl. Tell me how they pick him over Adam even if he wa picked in the first round. Just don't see it and I'm sure nick himself is not happy with the year he is having. Guess Canada does not want to win this tourament. Help me understand?

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
GMs' offseason priorities: Rangers open to moving a...

BONUS ITEM: According to an NHL source, the Florida Panthers have been told that prospect Adam Mascherin won't be signing with them before the draft. If that remains the case, he would re-enter the draft where he would be an interesting prospect coming off a big season in Kitchener. He has 40 goals this season in 67 games. Mascherin was the Panthers second-round pick (No. 38 overall) in 2016 and GM Dale Tallon is now shopping him to try and get a return before the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad