C Vladislav Kamenev (2014, 42nd, NSH; traded to COL)

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I sense exponential growth with him. He has the tools, his hands need improvement but that's it.

Reactions: EXTRAS

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
His problems are not that he moved to NA, but couple of very serious injuries. He is doing well know, I think that he will become solid NHLer.
A lot of players get injured. It's easy to blame it on the injuries, but he definitely left the KHL too early.

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
A lot of players get injured. It's easy to blame it on the injuries, but he definitely left the KHL too early.
But he actually had two serious long-term injuries. At other time he wasn’t struggling. Now he adjusts to game, tries to get more confidence.

Regarding KHL I can say that he could stay for one or two years more. But I don’t think that he made a bad choice, he got good minutes in AHL. From my point of view, the worst case is when 16 or 17 years old guys that are not top talents, move to CHL.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He could have had all the ice time in the world in the KHL. It was his choice to go to NA early.
Staph, please. You know full well as do I he wouldn't have gotten "all the ice time in the world" in Magnitka's system. Not even close to it.

He definitely did get more TOI in the AHL and his progress there was rather nice and steady before the injuries struck.

I can only imagine how amazing Canadian players would be if they went to Russia and benefited from its magical system.
As debatable as Atas' point is you are missing it completely. The whole argument is those young guys shouldn't go from Russia to Canada (or vice versa for that matter) because the different environment, flipping the whole world upside down, disturbs the development. He isn't saying they grow some magic beans in Russia.

You can read almost every Canadian who came to the KHL saying the game is different, the culture is different, they needed to adjust, etc. And that's grown-ass men saying that. And yet in NA most seem to think it's easy for U20 kids to do that.

However, unlike Atas, I'm not saying nobody should do that. The players and situations are different. And Kamenev was stuck behind established pros on the championship-winning team so one can see why he thought he has a better opportunity to grow in the AHL.

Last edited:

blindpass

May 7, 2010
As debatable as Atas' point you are missing it completely. The whole argument is those young guys shouldn't go from Russia to Canada (or vice versa for that matter) because the different environment, flipping the whole world upside down, disturbs the development. He isn't saying they grow some magic beans in Russia.

You can read almost every Canadian who came to the KHL saying the game is different, the culture is different, they needed to adjust, etc. And that's grown-ass men saying that. And yet in NA most seem to think it's easy for U20 kids to do that.

However, unlike Atas, I'm not saying nobody should that. The players and situations are different. And Kamenev was stuck behind established pros on the championship-winning team so one can see why he thought he has a better opportunity to grow in the AHL.
This is absolutely fair, and I don't disagree.

Given the things Atas says I think my jab wasn't unfair either. I'm not going to write an essay on the subject, his views are set in stone.

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
One statistic that is pretty relevant to show he can have a role as an NHL player is his faceoffs, he's winning 55.5% which is pretty good. I think he has an interesting futur as a middle 6 forward.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Staph, please. You know full well as do I he wouldn't have gotten "all the ice time in the world" in Magnitka's system. Not even close to it.

He definitely did get more TOI in the AHL and his progress there was rather nice and steady before the injuries struck.

As debatable as Atas' point is you are missing it completely. The whole argument is those young guys shouldn't go from Russia to Canada (or vice versa for that matter) because the different environment, flipping the whole world upside down, disturbs the development. He isn't saying they grow some magic beans in Russia.

However, unlike Atas, I'm not saying nobody should do that. The players and situations are different. And Kamenev was stuck behind established pros on the championship-winning team so one can see why he thought he has a better opportunity to grow in the AHL.
LOLWUT? He was getting enough ice time with Magnitka years ago. And they are desperate for some fresh blood now and way younger guys than Kamenev are getting ice time. Stop making things up.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I can only imagine how amazing Canadian players would be if they went to Russia and benefited from its magical system.
Another ignorant post from someone who deliberately or not ignores the beaten to death proper points of the discussion. What do Canadians have to do with anything here?

Reactions: blindpass

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
But he actually had two serious long-term injuries. At other time he wasn’t struggling. Now he adjusts to game, tries to get more confidence.

Regarding KHL I can say that he could stay for one or two years more. But I don’t think that he made a bad choice, he got good minutes in AHL. From my point of view, the worst case is when 16 or 17 years old guys that are not top talents, move to CHL.
The thing about the AHL for those Russians is that they become career complementary bottom 6 players there. They don't continue to teach them creativity in the AHL, but systems, defensive responsibility and north-south hockey instead.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
LOLWUT? He was getting enough ice time with Magnitka years ago. And they are desperate for some fresh blood now and way younger guys than Kamenev are getting ice time. Stop making things up.
He was getting 9.38 minutes per game. It might just be we understand the meaning of "enough" and "all in the world" differently. Yes, fast forward 5 years and they could really use him. It's like 5 years is a long time in pro hockey. Back in the day, he was very firmly stuck behind Kovar and Filippi so absolute best-case scenario, his TOI would have increased to 12-13 minutes over the next 2 years. While he almost immediately was a top-6, all-situation forward after moving to the AHL.

Reactions: cgf

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
The fact that his minutes are so low even with all the injuries that Colorado has certainly doesn't bode well with how the coaches view his current abilities.

Reactions: kp61c

bagsw

Apr 17, 2016
Saint Petersburg, Russia
The thing about the AHL for those Russians is that they become career complementary bottom 6 players there. They don't continue to teach them creativity in the AHL, but systems, defensive responsibility and north-south hockey instead.
Kamenev never been top-6 talent. He was middle-6 and he still has a chance te become that type of player. If he stayed in Magnitogorsk, he would continue to play in bottom-6, I don't get it how this is better for his creativity than top-6 in AHL.

If you will see at today's KHL there is not much room for creativity, hockey became much worse in attacking way. There is very limited number of real creative players, especially in bottom lines, because coaches prefer "reliable" wooden soldiers.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

It's not that russian coaches are that much better. It's more that Canadians, Americans, Swedes & Finns aren't as mentally weak as real russians; so having to leave home as teenagers doesn't ruin them :sarcasm:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

It's a riff on my favorite joke from the time I spent in NYC for work, that I heard from this banker who married a russian girl, and since that guy knew my father -- who tries to translate many russian jokes into his version of english -- as well, it was just too perfect:

"How does every russian joke end?...with an awkward silence and the words 'it does not translate well'"

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
It's a riff on my favorite joke from the time I spent in NYC for work, that I heard from this banker who married a russian girl, and since that guy knew my father -- who tries to translate many russian jokes into his version of english -- as well, it was just too perfect:

"How does every russian joke end?...with an awkward silence and the words 'it does not translate well'"
I just knew you had lots of russian work friends (I think. Or were they Germans) so I figured you were a little more in tune with the subtleties of humor there hehe

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I just knew you had lots of russian work friends (I think. Or were they Germans) so I figured you were a little more in tune with the subtleties of humor there hehe

I'm 3/4ths russian and just 1/4th german, but I was born in Berlin back when there was still a wall separating us from the west and I spent more of my childhood there than I did in Moscow. Which is why I've always felt more german...despite having grown up around and worked with a lot more russians after we came to the US.

So I did get those russian jokes that my dad or this dude's family-in-law would make, 90% of the time...but that's also why I knew that they could not be translated without first spending a couple of hours explaining to americans various nuances of what growing up in the USSR was like :laugh:

...but that initial post was just my personal brand of smartassery.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Do you know anything else?

lol jk

giphy.gif

Reactions: a mangy Meowth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad