C Sam Bennett - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2014, 4th overall, Calgary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
That's crazy. I never knew he was having such a good season. This draft is shaping up to have a really nice top 5.

All_blueandwhite

Apr 15, 2007
I love the way this kid plays the game.

Incredible wheels, and this kid is a puck hound. He's relentless moving his feet trying to create a turnover. Good active stick in that sense as well. He's the kind of guy who will play on your 1st line, 1st PP and 1st PK one day.

Offensively, he's outstanding. His shot is lethal. Couple that with his high-end speed, and he's going to be a real offensive threat. Great vision and playmaking ability as well.

Only knock on him is adding weight and improving his ability in the face off dot, but that's all things that usually accompany 18 year old prospects

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Is he pretty feisty? He has quite a few PIMs... I've only seen him play 2x

pckstpr31

Jul 13, 2010
CGY
According to the WHL site and the Top Prospects Site he's been replaced by Brayden Point due to injury

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is he pretty feisty? He has quite a few PIMs... I've only seen him play 2x

He plays with a real edge. He's not afraid to get involved in scrums. In fact, you could argue he should calm down with that stuff since he's more valuable to his team on the ice rather than in the box for 2 to 5 minutes.

He hits, and despite his lack of weight, hits with some authority. He's sort of like Mike Richards in that aspect (good hitter despite being on the small-ish side).

That's the thing about Bennett. He's not just a skilled finesse player. He can play the dirty, gritty, rough, in your face game as well. He doesn't disappear when things get ugly.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
He plays with a real edge. He's not afraid to get involved in scrums. In fact, you could argue he should calm down with that stuff since he's more valuable to his team on the ice rather than in the box for 2 to 5 minutes.

He hits, and despite his lack of weight, hits with some authority. He's sort of like Mike Richards in that aspect (good hitter despite being on the small-ish side).

That's the thing about Bennett. He's not just a skilled finesse player. He can play the dirty, gritty, rough, in your face game as well. He doesn't disappear when things get ugly.

So Buffalo should want this guy then?

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
So Bennett is out with a groin injury then? I was considering going to the Niagara-Kingston game on Thursday but I guess if he's not playing the top prospects game he won't be playing there.

I haven't seen him much, but I do know he is a really, really good skater with great speed. In brief viewings he reminds me of Duchene at this age. Could anyone who has seen him more say if that's accurate at all?

cats31

Jun 19, 2013
Looks like he could fit in very well with the Panthers. He could fit in behind Barkov and Bjugstad on the 3rd line with his defensive ability and toughness. We also need more scoring minded players. How would he look on the wing?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
So Bennett is out with a groin injury then? I was considering going to the Niagara-Kingston game on Thursday but I guess if he's not playing the top prospects game he won't be playing there.

I haven't seen him much, but I do know he is a really, really good skater with great speed. In brief viewings he reminds me of Duchene at this age. Could anyone who has seen him more say if that's accurate at all?

Duchene's a faster skater, IMO, particularly top end speed. Bennett's got great exceleration and speed, mind you. But Duchene can outright fly. Bennett's more physical/feisty. I'd also say Bennett's got a better shot/scoring touch (at the same age).

For those that remember his Kitchener days, I'd say if anything, Bennett's more like a more explosive skating, better shooting/stickhandling Mike Richards. Richards has the edge in fighting ability and consistent hitting game, though.

Defensively, Bennett's already dependable. He's also on the Fronts' PK unit (along with linemate Ikonen).

I used to like the Gilmour comparison, but the more I watch Bennett, the more he looks like a better goal scorer than Gilmour, but not quite the playmaker Gilmour was. Similar "dirty/gritty" style of two-way play, though.

cats31

Jun 19, 2013
Duchene's a faster skater, IMO, particularly top end speed. Bennett's got great exceleration and speed, mind you. But Duchene can outright fly. Bennett's more physical/feisty. I'd also say Bennett's got a better shot/scoring touch (at the same age).

For those that remember his Kitchener days, I'd say if anything, Bennett's more like a more explosive skating, better shooting/stickhandling Mike Richards. Richards has the edge in fighting ability and consistent hitting game, though.

Defensively, Bennett's already dependable. He's also on the Fronts' PK unit (along with linemate Ikonen).

I used to like the Gilmour comparison, but the more I watch Bennett, the more he looks like a better goal scorer than Gilmour, but not quite the playmaker Gilmour was. Similar "dirty/gritty" style of two-way play, though.

How would he look on the wing? Or is he a Center prospect all the way?

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto

Sounds like Kadri.

He has never played wing for Kingston, but he was a winger for McDavid on the Marlies and looked pretty good.

In fairness, he was playing with McDavid, who wouldn't look good?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
How would he look on the wing? Or is he a Center prospect all the way?

He may start out as a winger in the NHL, largely due to allowing him to ease his way in without as many defensive responsibilities, and also until he improves on faceoffs. But his game is better suited to the center position, both offensive and defensively.

Sounds like Kadri.

Bennett's got a better shot/better accuracy on his shot and he's better defensively than Kadri. He's also got more hockey sense (certainly better defensive awareness) and more consistent with his effort, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad