C Sam Bennett - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2014, 4th overall, Calgary)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoKnows53

Jul 28, 2013
I'm hoping the Canucks will make a trade or two at the deadline and acquire one of the worse teams' 1st rd picks.

Sam Bennett I think fits the Canucks future plan perfectly. This may be a weak draft, but guys like Bennett are can't miss prospects IMO

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Would Mike Richards, Doug Gilmour be decent comparisons? How dynamic do you OHL followers think he can be? What do you see him turning into in the NHL. He seems like a strong 2 way presence, is a little small but still somewhat dynamic offensively

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Would Mike Richards, Doug Gilmour be decent comparisons? How dynamic do you OHL followers think he can be? What do you see him turning into in the NHL. He seems like a strong 2 way presence, is a little small but still somewhat dynamic offensively

I wouldn't consider Bennett small. What he is, at the moment, is slender. He's around 6'0 to 6'1, but where he needs to add is to his weight, where he's currently around 180 lbs. or so.

Richards was more physical (ie. fight more, hit more often), but skill-wise I'd say Bennett has an edge. He's also a better skater than Richards. I've personally liked using the Gilmour comparison. That's not to say he'll have as good an NHL career as Gilmour, but just their overall playing style and puck skills.

EA Sports GM

Apr 2, 2013
Vancouver
The few games I've seen he's been tenacious away from the puck, but one thing I've noticed is that if he isn't given a lot of space by the other team he is a lot less effective. Something he needs to work on I guess, but overall a very solid player.

Mathmew Purrrr Oh

#meowmeowmeowmeow
Apr 18, 2013
meow
I wouldn't consider Bennett small. What he is, at the moment, is slender. He's around 6'0 to 6'1, but where he needs to add is to his weight, where he's currently around 180 lbs. or so.

Richards was more physical (ie. fight more, hit more often), but skill-wise I'd say Bennett has an edge. He's also a better skater than Richards. I've personally liked using the Gilmour comparison. That's not to say he'll have as good an NHL career as Gilmour, but just their overall playing style and puck skills.

someone on twitter who watches the O a lot used Bryan Little as a comparable

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
someone on twitter who watches the O a lot used Bryan Little as a comparable

There's some reasons I don't like that comparison.

One, I think Bennett's got better puck skills. That's not a knock on Little, but having seen both of them at the junior level, Little didn't show the stickhandling ability that Bennett does.

Bennett's also more physical than Little. The physical side of his game, where he'll throw some big hits, is why some folks bring up the Mike Richards comparisons. I don't recall Little displaying that sort of edge to his game.

Also, I think Bennett's a better skater than Little. He's got a more explosive first couple of steps, and has a more smooth stride when he gets up to speed. One concern I had about Little about him translating his game from the OHL to the NHL is he was a decent, but not great skater. I don't have those concerns with skating holding Bennett back.

On top of that, Bennett's bigger (taller) than Little. Not by much, but by enough that any sort of shortcomings Little's size presents for him at the NHL level, won't be an issue for Bennett.

Jackson12

Feb 28, 2008
Ottawa
this kid stood out to me when I was watching McDavid and Ho Sang highlights when they were all playing on the Marlboros. think this kid is going to be the real deal. just goes out there works hard and produces.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
For a guy i see in the top ten of every major draft website this guy isn't talked about at all? Is there really no hype for him?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Bennett's continuing to climb up the OHL scoring leader charts. He's now up to 6th in league-wide scoring, in spite of the fact his running mate (Ikonen) has been away at the World Junior Championships the past couple of weeks.

I'm surprised there's very little discussion about him. He's performing exactly how you'd expect from a potential Top 5 selection.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
For a guy i see in the top ten of every major draft website this guy isn't talked about at all? Is there really no hype for him?

That only means good things for him. Sam has the best pro package in 2014.

He can rush the puck, he can retrieve the puck, he'll hit hard and in every area of the ice, he has good offensive instincts as far as out thinking D's and goalies, and is fast.

DKQ

Generic User Title
Jun 17, 2012
Press Box
He's also currently on a 21-game point streak during which he has 13 goals and 36 points. Kid's dynamite

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Bennett's continuing to climb up the OHL scoring leader charts. He's now up to 6th in league-wide scoring, in spite of the fact his running mate (Ikonen) has been away at the World Junior Championships the past couple of weeks.

I'm surprised there's very little discussion about him. He's performing exactly how you'd expect from a potential Top 5 selection.

I don't think there's been enough discussion about some of the top players in this draft in general (outside Reinhart and Ekblad).

Really happy to see how well Bennett has been doing.

I know back at the Marlies and YSE when he did play with McDavid sometimes there was an attitude that McDavid was the straw that stirred the drink - and McDavid's talent is undeniable...but I'm glad Sam's shown that he's a dominant force in his own right.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Three more points for Bennett tonight (1 goal, 2 assists), in a 9-4 win over Dal Colle's Oshawa Generals (Dal Colle had a solitary assist). Bennett's now tied for 3rd in league scoring, but has played the fewest amount of games among those he's tied with.

It's mind boggling how his season's going under the radar compared to guys like Dal Colle, Nylander, Draisatl, and Reinhart.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Three more points for Bennett tonight (1 goal, 2 assists), in a 9-4 win over Dal Colle's Oshawa Generals (Dal Colle had a solitary assist). Bennett's now tied for 3rd in league scoring, but has played the fewest amount of games among those he's tied with.

It's mind boggling how his season's going under the radar compared to guys like Dal Colle, Nylander, Draisatl, and Reinhart.

I think Bennett is my favorite player in the draft right now.

I was going to say the exact same thing as the bolded when I saw this thread bumped and saw it was only 2 pages long. He's probably my favorite player in the draft right now and I wasn't particularly high on him early.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
He's really impressed me this year. I love this kids game so much and for me he's definitely a top 5 pick.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Been on my radar all season, currently have him 3rd overall. I think there's a little Jonathan Toews to his game. Excited to see his 2nd half.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Been on my radar all season, currently have him 3rd overall. I think there's a little Jonathan Toews to his game. Excited to see his 2nd half.

A lot of people are ranking him high but what has been mind boggling is the lack of chatter about him (aka this thread being near empty)

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
His coach was on the radio 2 months ago saying his only weakness is not utilizing his line-mates. He's a do-it-all-myslef kinda player... He said he's been working on it this year, though.

that's still high praise! Only weakness... Can't wait to see him at the top prospects game!

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Bennett extended his scoring streak to 24 games tonight with a goal and assist in the 3rd. Closing in on franchise record of 26 games held by Bernie Nichols.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Can look like 2 different players in the same game. A 4th line agitator/banger/forechecker and then a #1C outskill u type of game. Slippery one on one ability. Hates losing any one on one battles in all areas.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan