C Nolan Patrick - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2017 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
As a prospect there's only a few prospects clearly better than him at the same age over the last several years- McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, probably MacKinnon but that was mostly due to his insane run at the end of the season. Those players are a lot more dynamic than Patrick and passed all the eye tests. Pujlu would probably be rated higher than Patrick at the same time last year (post-WJC) until his stock took a hit.

I'd place him above Reinhart, Bennett as a prospect.

I would have argued Barkov too but the reality is, he wasn't very hyped up pre-draft at least in the media (maybe internally scouts thought highly of him) primarily due to scouts overlooking Finland as a graveyard for prospects (until their very recent and emphatic resurgence).

We've just been very spoiled the last 2 years with Matthews/Eichel/McDavid/Laine.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What a return for the kid. Had to wait awhile to post as I was watching two games at once while having company. Still at #1 as of now for me. He just does every little thing right. I think he's going to make a solid run with Hischier for 1st overall. 2017 just got really exciting for me!
I don't think it is much of a run right now. Patrick stays playing at a good level he'll cement #1. Hischier has more obvious skill due to his speed, but Patrick has what teams are chasing in a #1C these days. He is high-IQ, has a great shot (great release), and has no real flaws. You might like him to display more speed and more creativity, but to me he feels like the center version of Matt Tkachuk without being a full on rodent. He'll put up numbers, it just won't be overly flashy, and will be caused by tenacity and hard work.

It will be interesting to see what he can do these last couple months. I don't think anyone can accuse him of being carried this year.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't think it is much of a run right now. Patrick stays playing at a good level he'll cement #1. Hischier has more obvious skill due to his speed, but Patrick has what teams are chasing in a #1C these days. He is high-IQ, has a great shot (great release), and has no real flaws. You might like him to display more speed and more creativity, but to me he feels like the center version of Matt Tkachuk without being a full on rodent. He'll put up numbers, it just won't be overly flashy, and will be caused by tenacity and hard work.

It will be interesting to see what he can do these last couple months. I don't think anyone can accuse him of being carried this year.

In some ways I agree in others I don't. Patrick is absolutely one of those casually elite players. He makes it look effortless but he is actually working really hard on every shift he just doesn't do it in that flashy way. He is the epitome of the Canadian Prairie Center. But I do think Hischier is still a commodity GM's are after these days. Speed and skill is being emphasized more and more in this league and Hischier has it in spades. The league is trending in that direction and GM's will love what Hischier brings.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

Beyond that he just translates better in the NHL, size, strength on puck and already plays a good board game- even before his body has filled out. He's going to be a very good #1 pick.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Looks like he came back determined to shut down any talk of someone else taking over 1st overall

JA

The WHL is noticeably slower to upload its highlights to its website than the OHL and QMJHL.

I missed today's game, but he seems to have picked up exactly where he left off. His shot is one of his strengths, and today it notched him two goals. The Wheat Kings play again tomorrow.

kooner91

Apr 13, 2014
Not that it matters too much now, but don't canucks fans see him as the perfect linemate for prime Sedin's?

Big, strong along the boards, high iq with a great shot and is fiesty.

As a Canucks fan, I wouldn't mind getting him or Hishier, and icing a lineup of like this next year.

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter
Beartschi-Horvat-Burrows
Eriksson-Granlund-Patrick
Dorsett-Gaunce-

Edler-Stetcher
Hutton-Tanev
Juolevi-Gudbranson
Tryamkin

Expose/trade Sbisa and Hansen.

Allow Patrick sheltered minutes with 2 smart players, ans give him some PP time too.

Who am I kidding, we still got Benning and Willie in charge.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not that it matters too much now, but don't canucks fans see him as the perfect linemate for prime Sedin's?

Big, strong along the boards, high iq with a great shot and is fiesty.

As a Canucks fan, I wouldn't mind getting him or Hishier, and icing a lineup of like this next year.

Sedin-Sedin-Sutter
Beartschi-Horvat-Burrows
Eriksson-Granlund-Patrick
Dorsett-Gaunce-

Edler-Stetcher
Hutton-Tanev
Juolevi-Gudbranson
Tryamkin

Expose/trade Sbisa and Hansen.

Allow Patrick sheltered minutes with 2 smart players, ans give him some PP time too.

Who am I kidding, we still got Benning and Willie in charge.
Pretty sure that whoever gets him will be giving him prime minutes at center to start. I don't think he's a guy you need to ease in on the wing. Any smart club will look at how the Leafs have eased Matthews a long and should try to replicate that approach. One of the issues for the Canucks is that they tend to give the Sedin's fairly easy minutes when looking at zone-starts. Ideally, you would want to give Patrick sheltered usage in regards to zone-starts as a 19-year-old centerman, and it is not like you want to give Horvat and Sutter tougher minutes, so it has to come out of the Sedin's share.He may not be able to handle the role Matthews and Eichel were given off the bat, but I do think he can handle how Monahan was used.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I'm hoping 1 of the other players gets drafted #1., thereby removing the free pass to the NHL for this kid. He needs to be back in junior next year. And don't give me any of this 'he's got nothing left to learn in junior' nonsense. He's got plenty to learn on top of playing a full season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Looks like he came back determined to shut down any talk of someone else taking over 1st overall

Only those looking to create conversation thought he wouldn't go #1 this year. Patrick pretty much solidified that ranking last year. I think he would have gone #3 OA had be been born a mere few days earlier in the 2016 draft. Still it is good to see him jump back to form so quickly. I think he will play right away in the NHL next year.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
It wasn't a vintage Nolan Patrick performance last night, but kootney are even worse than Brandon so it all worked out! You could tell he was rusty, the puck didn't stay on his stick like normal and a few passes weren't the normal crisp ones, he fell down during the face off type scrums. But on the positive side, he made the PP ten times better, he had one 5 on 5 shift in the third where he went end to end past 4 Ice players, good to see the speed is still there. His 5 on 5 line mates were Mattheos and Lewis, he certainly helped elevate their game. They kept his ice time manageable, played 8 minutes first period but then 5 minutes per period in the 2nd and third, no PK time yet, ease him back in. He's definitely a presence, discussing calls with the ref, chirping opposition, it's good to have him back. Let's hope two games in two nights doesn't cause him any setbacks.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Gotta love that comeback for him. Hopefully can be consistent all the way through. The discussion here about him is encouraging.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Gotta love that comeback for him. Hopefully can be consistent all the way through. The discussion here about him is encouraging.

I forgot to say that he was the WK who went and retrieved the puck after coulter scored his hatrick goal, good teammate move!

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com

kind of sloppy game overall. lots of penalties to go around. didnt kill penalties. not a lot of 5v5 time. lots of pp time
not as dominant as i hoped but hey 2+2 is pretty good too :sarcasm:
time stamps in the description for highlight stuff

JA

No points for Patrick tonight. The Wheat Kings win 4-0 in a rematch against Kootenay.

The Wheat Kings next play on January 20, the first of three games in three consecutive nights.

Last edited by a moderator:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
New piece by Bobby Mac. Portrays Patrick still as the clear favorite for #1 and says that the new rankings will be out on January 31st.

The NHL Central Scouting Bureau will release its mid-season rankings on Wednesday and there's not expected to be any surprise atop the North American skaters list.
Especially now that Brandon Wheat King centre Nolan Patrick is back playing games.

"His skating looked good. He showed confidence with the puck," said an NHL scout. "He picked up pretty much where he left off."

NHL Central Scouting was in constant communication with Patrick throughout his rest and rehab. In spite of missing the time, there have been no red flags with Patrick's status in the eyes of the NHL scouting community. He was the clear and unanimous No. 1 prospect for this year's draft in TSN's pre-season rankings and is fully expected to be No. 1 on the NHL CSB list on Wednesday.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
If there's a hockey God the Canucks will somehow land him at the draft...we need a sedin replacement at centre that can put up point per game.

JA

Shift footage from Patrick's second game back, courtesy of ihaveyuidonttouchme:

JA

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/is-hischier-closing-in-on-patrick-to-be-no-1-pick~1037880

Transcript:
Is Hischier closing in on Patrick to be No. 1 pick?
Jan 18

Nolan Patrick is widely considered to be the No. 1 pick in this year's NHL Draft, but is Swiss sensation Nico Hischier closing the gap? TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button weighs in, and also lists the greatest asset of each player.

Transcript:

James Duthie: "And those two young men lead us to our Director of Scouting, Craig Button. Central Scouting releasing its ranking of the 2017 draft prospects on Wednesday, and Nolan Patrick is expected to be No. 1 overall, but Nico Hischier, the Swiss sensation -- is he right behind him now, Craig?

Craig Button: "Well, Nolan Patrick is No. 1., but it's not clear No. 1. Nico Hischier is definitely nipping at his heels. If you watched Nico in the World Junior Hockey Championships, he just got better and better as the tournament went on -- and against very good competition. He was a dominant player. And now, I go on Sunday and watch him in Halifax, and just when you think it's hard to build on that World Junior performance, he does. He takes over the game, he scores two goals, and you see things that remind you of Henrik Zetterberg: that ability to play a lot of minutes, a lot of critical situations, and to produce at those moments. But, right now, Nolan Patrick remains 1. He hasn't had the opportunity to play because of injury. The Prospects Game coming up on January 30th is gonna give scouts a real opportunity to watch him play, head to head vs Nico Hischier, and it's an opportunity for Nolan Patrick, who's been a little bit behind here because of the injury, to show what he can do. You look back to previous drafts, there was Taylor vs Tyler, there was Jack vs Mac, and I suggest now there is a case for Nolan vs Nico.

Duthie: "All right. Give me the greatest asset of each player. We might as well start with Nolan, who is back, as you mentioned, after three months off."

Button: "Nolan Patrick has a real economy of effort when he plays the game. He is exceptionally smart, understands what's unfolding, and there's not a lot of wasted energy. But when the opportunity arises, he takes full advantage of it and has that quick strike ability. Nico Hischier has a real quiet fire to him. He's got a determination that will not allow himself to be denied. They both have very good skill, they're both very good centers, but those are the two elements that I think stand out for each of the two players."

Duthie: "Patrick would be the first Manitoban who would go first overall if he goes there. Which NHLer's style of play does he most remind you of right now?"

Button: "He reminds me of Eric Staal: that ability to make plays, the ability to shoot the puck, that big centerman that can play down low, that can play defence, be good on faceoffs. He's not gonna wow you with a lot of flash and dash a la a Connor McDavid -- but Connor McDavid is an exceptional player -- but Nolan Patrick, to me, is like Eric Staal, and if you're building your team up the middle of the ice with a player like Nolan Patrick, you're in really good shape."

Last edited by a moderator:

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Honestly, watching those highlights, I don't get the hype behind this kid.

Who is Ty Lewis though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad