C Nolan Patrick - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2017 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JA

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/junior/patrick-nears-return-to-whl-action-409851455.html
Patrick nears return to WHL action
By: Mike Sawatzky
Posted: 01/5/2017 9:53 PM | Last Modified: 01/5/2017 10:12 PM

Nolan Patrick’s ill-fated season is about to take a turn for the better.

The 18-year-old captain of the Western Hockey League’s Brandon Wheat Kings has been sidelined since Oct. 11 with an unspecified upper-body injury. On Wednesday, Patrick was back on the ice with his teammates, wearing a red non-contact jersey at practice.

"Being around the boys again and getting out there for a practice felt great," Patrick told the Brandon Sun. "I’m getting close to returning, so it’s exciting."

Patrick, who had sports hernia surgery in the off-season, said he expects to play in January but gave no firm timetable for his return.

The Winnipeg product also refuted online reports his extended absence indicates he is dissatisfied with the Wheat Kings and wants a trade.

"I did not ask for a trade, and I will not be asking for a trade," he said, adding the fabrications are not something he can control.

"I’m kind of used to it now," he said. "A lot of people are going to say what they want to say and make stuff up. But in the end, I know what’s true, and it’s just a matter that my teammates know, and they know that none of that is true, so it doesn’t really bother me that much."

NEP1877108.jpg

Craig Button's comparison for Nolan Patrick in terms of style:
Staal is a can't-miss prospect: [Final Edition]
Nanaimo Daily News [Nanaimo, B.C] 17 June 2003: B3.

(CP) -- Whether he goes first or third in the National Hockey League draft starting Saturday, a team can't go wrong picking centre Eric Staal.

"Staal, the worst he's going to be is a Ron Francis type and the best he's going to be is a Steve Yzerman type," said one scout.

"Staal is a real talent."

The 19-year-old from Thunder Bay, Ont., is ranked first overall among North American skaters by NHL Central Scouting and it's not likely this year that a European will push him out of the top spot on Saturday.

But it's the machinations of teams trying to land goaltender Marc- Andre Fleury that will likely decide whether Staal is drafted first overall on Saturday at Nashville's Gaylord Entertainment Center.

"Whether it's first overall or not it doesn't really matter to me," said Staal.

"I don't think it matters that much. It may for someone else, but I just think getting drafted period and getting a chance to play in the NHL is the best thing in the world."

The word 'safe' has been bandied about with Staal though some disagree with that label.

"What you see is what you're going to get," said Hockey Canada director of scouting Blair Mackasey.

"I don't think he's going to be a flashy player that a (Ilya) Kovalchuk is or a (Marian) Gaborik is, but I think he's going to be a good solid two-way player in the NHL. Kirk Muller comes to mind.

"He's the kind of guy who is going to play for 15 years in the league. He'll never be a superstar, but he's going to be a really good solid reliable player than you can build your team on."

The six-foot-three, 182-pound centre is a late birthday so he has had three years of development in major junior with the Peterborough Petes.

He had 39 goals and 69 assists in 66 regular season games and nine goals and five assists in seven playoff games.

He's a big centre, with a great shot, great touch around the net, exceptional stickhandling abilities and he plays a responsible two- way game.

Staal tops all rating lists: [Final Edition]
Davies, Mike. Peterborough Examiner [Peterborough, Ont] 18 June 2003: C6 / Front.

"A special kid," the "real deal," a "complete player" is how NHL scouts describe Eric Staal.

The Peterborough Petes' centre is ranked by NHL's Central Scouting, The Hockey News, TSN.ca and the International Scouting Service as the top-prospect for Saturday's NHL draft in Nashville.

It doesn't guarantee Staal will be the first chosen, as several scenarios are possible, but he has a good chance of becoming the first Petes' player to be taken first overall.

Frank Bonello, director of NHL Central Scouting for 15 years, said Staal's 39 goals and 98 points were outstanding but more importantly he was the Petes' leader.

"I think he's quite a complete player," said Bonello, who says Staal is ranked first because of "he's a playmaker, seeing the ice as well as he does and seeing his teammates on the ice. He's a two- way player who forechecks well."

"There are two or three other players who could be taken also. That's the way those first three or four guys are stacked up," said Bonello. "(Staal) is our number one guy but it wouldn't blow me out of the water to hear another named called out."

No scouts have seen Staal as often as the NHL's four Peterborough- based scouts. Dallas Stars scout J.J. Johnston would take Staal if he had the first pick.

"He's a special kid," said Johnston, "for his work ethic, he plays every night hard and is always involved. He has good size and protects the puck really well. He's always making things happen. Actions speak louder than words with this kid."

New York Islanders scout Doug Gibson also has Staal rated number one.

"Eric is one of those players you dream about drafting," said Gibson.

Buffalo Sabres scout Don Barrie thinks Staal is a star in the making.

Barrie said Staal has more to offer than most.

"There are no sure things when assessing 19-year-olds but he has more on the table than anybody else," Barrie said.

Staal tops on list of best NHL prospects:: [Final Edition]
Examiner [Barrie, Ont] 13 Mar 2003: B2.

Eric Staal, the six-foot-three centre with the OHL's Peterborough Petes, is considered the No. 1 prospect for the 2003 NHL entry draft in March rankings by the independent International Scouting Service.

Russian right-winger Nikolai Zherdev is No. 2, and Oshawa Generals centre Nathan Horton is No. 3 on the latest I.S.S. list.

The draft will be held in Nashville, Tenn., June 21-22.

Staal, 18, who honed his hockey skills on an outdoor rink on his family's sod farm at Thunder Bay, reminds the scouts of a young Ron Francis.

"Eric is a smart two-way player who has a good shot and a great touch around the net," says scouting director Dennis MacInnis. "He possesses tremendous hockey sense to go along with his exceptional playmaking skills. At this time, he is the safest pick in the draft."

"He's a throwback," says MacInnis. "He plays hockey for the right reasons and goes about his business quietly. He has such an inner drive and confidence in himself that we believe he will not be unseated from the No. 1 position by anyone."

Last edited by a moderator:

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
"He's the kind of guy who is going to play for 15 years in the league. He'll never be a superstar, but he's going to be a really good solid reliable player than you can build your team on."

Haha! whoever said that was bang on.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
IMO Had he been in the 2015 or 2016 drafts, I think he would have gone 3rd overall after Mc-Eichel or Mat-ine. He may not have the star appeal of those 4, but he is still a tremendous talent based on his 17 year old pre-draft year. He's still number 1 this draft for me, and it will take something unforeseen for me to change my mind on this.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Haha! whoever said that was bang on.
That is pretty accurate, but I'd say in his 2nd NHL season he looked like a superstar. He was the best forward on a title team and finished 4th in Hart voting with the only forwards ahead of him being Jagr and Thorton.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Wheat Kings posted that he is expected back on Friday against Kootenay. I'll be there so I'm hoping he plays! My brother randomly invited me out last week so this could be neat.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
That is pretty accurate, but I'd say in his 2nd NHL season he looked like a superstar. He was the best forward on a title team and finished 4th in Hart voting with the only forwards ahead of him being Jagr and Thorton.

Id say he was a superstar for a few years and graced an NHL 2008 cover as well.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
McDavid is on another tier of his own. Matthews and Eichel are within Patrick's reach as soon as he gets healthy and delivers like he's expected. So why is he not as hyped prospect as the previous years top C's?

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
McDavid is on another tier of his own. Matthews and Eichel are within Patrick's reach as soon as he gets healthy and delivers like he's expected. So why is he not as hyped prospect as the previous years top C's?

I think he is in the same tier (predraft) level as D.Strome, Reinhart, Bennett, Barkov.
I really don't see him in the tier of Eichel, Matthews, Laine, Mackinnon..... (All of which garnered attention and extra coverage)

When exclusively looking at Players in pre-draft. I don't see the same level and thus not the same applause. Just my opinion though, doesn't mean he can't or wont reach higher or into the other tier. Just looking strictly on "predraft outlook"

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think he is in the same tier (predraft) level as D.Strome, Reinhart, Bennett, Barkov.
I really don't see him in the tier of Eichel, Matthews, Laine, Mackinnon..... (All of which garnered attention and extra coverage)

When exclusively looking at Players in pre-draft. I don't see the same level and thus not the same applause. Just my opinion though, doesn't mean he can't or wont reach higher or into the other tier. Just looking strictly on "predraft outlook"

I think he's definitely ahead of Strome, Reinhart, Bennet. He's very easily in Mackinnon/Barkov tier. The only thing Mack has on him is speed but I think Patrick is better than Mack at other areas of the game. And I think Patrick is better offensively than Barkov. Not very high on Strome at all anyways. He's got a great IQ but everything else with his game is below average IMO.

Predraft I would put both Patrick and Hischier above Strome. Reinhart, Bennet. In the same tier as Mackinnon, Barkov. And one very small tier below Matthews, Eichel, Laine.

Here's my tiers of just forwards since 2013.

McDavid
----
Matthews
Laine
Eichel
----
Patrick
Hischier
Marner
Barkov
Mackinnon
-----
Draisaitl
Monahan
Wennberg
Aho
----
Reinhart
Bennet
Ehlers
Drouin
Puljujarvi
W. Nylander
Keller
Pastrnak
Larkin
---
Tkachuk
Connor
Barzal
Konecny
A. Nylander
White
Jost
Vilardi
---
Horvat
Dubois
Zacha
Mittelstadt
Rantanen
Fabbri
Lindholm
Domi
Duclair
Yamamoto
Burakovsky
Strome

This could change every day but as of right now this is how I see it. Patrick and Hischier are absolutely high end talent. Vilardi is up there as well. Mittlestadt could gain some traction once he plays with more competitive peers.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I think he's definitely ahead of Strome, Reinhart, Bennet. He's very easily in Mackinnon/Barkov tier. The only thing Mack has on him is speed but I think Patrick is better than Mack at other areas of the game. And I think Patrick is better offensively than Barkov. Not very high on Strome at all anyways. He's got a great IQ but everything else with his game is below average IMO.

Predraft I would put both Patrick and Hischier above Strome. Reinhart, Bennet. In the same tier as Mackinnon, Barkov. And one very small tier below Matthews, Eichel, Laine.

Here's my tiers of just forwards since 2013.

McDavid
----
Matthews
Laine
Eichel
----
Patrick
Hischier
Marner
Barkov
Mackinnon
-----
Draisaitl
Monahan
Wennberg
Aho
----
Reinhart
Bennet
Ehlers
Drouin
Puljujarvi
W. Nylander
Keller
Pastrnak
Larkin
---
Tkachuk
Connor
Barzal
Konecny
A. Nylander
White
Jost
Vilardi
---
Horvat
Dubois
Zacha
Mittelstadt
Rantanen
Fabbri
Lindholm
Domi
Duclair
Yamamoto
Burakovsky
Strome

This could change every day but as of right now this is how I see it. Patrick and Hischier are absolutely high end talent. Vilardi is up there as well. Mittlestadt could gain some traction once he plays with more competitive peers.

I think it is tough to push away the "what have they done for me now" idea. (Strome may go that far down today, but he had some following predraft and that is what I am looking at) Strome, Bennett, Reinhart, had similar outlook predraft IMO. Strome - At one point I had a Tavares feel; skilled, big, with skating questions.

The upper tier have pushed these guys down a bit, but it is safe to say that players in that second tier would show similar applause to Patrick (if alone in their own draft) ---if they came after a Matthews, Eichel, Laine draft.

Overall, it is tough to consider pre-draft attention when these guys are easily clouded by current situations.

Pre-Draft attention sans 1st overall
----
Laine (2016 1st - Lock and Hyped)
Eichel (2015 1st - Lock and hyped)
----
Barkov (2013 1st - Similar to 2017 Dman would pressure(Jones) and Halifax prospect would scare(Drouin)]
Strome (2015 2nd - With Eichel he wouldn't have a chance, but in 2013/14/15 draft he would be in the mix)
Bennett (2014 toss up)
Reinhart (2014 toss up)
Draisaitl (2014 toss up)
----

Laine and Eichel could easily carry 1st overall hype throughout the year - the 2nd tier down would have similar applause that Patrick is seeing now. No sense digging deeper, these would be the 1st overalls without McDavid, Ekblad, Matthews, Mackinnon.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think it is tough to push away the "what have they done for me now" idea. (Strome may go that far down today, but he had some following predraft and that is what I am looking at) Strome, Bennett, Reinhart, had similar outlook predraft IMO. Strome - At one point I had a Tavares feel; skilled, big, with skating questions.

The upper tier have pushed these guys down a bit, but it is safe to say that players in that second tier would show similar applause to Patrick (if alone in their own draft) ---if they came after a Matthews, Eichel, Laine draft.

Overall, it is tough to consider pre-draft attention when these guys are easily clouded by current situations.

Pre-Draft attention sans 1st overall
----
Laine (2016 1st - Lock and Hyped)
Eichel (2015 1st - Lock and hyped)
----
Barkov (2013 1st - Similar to 2017 Dman would pressure(Jones) and Halifax prospect would scare(Drouin)]
Strome (2015 2nd - With Eichel he wouldn't have a chance, but in 2013/14/15 draft he would be in the mix)
Bennett (2014 toss up)
Reinhart (2014 toss up)
Draisaitl (2014 toss up)
----

Laine and Eichel could easily carry 1st overall hype throughout the year - the 2nd tier down would have similar applause that Patrick is seeing now. No sense digging deeper, these would be the 1st overalls without McDavid, Ekblad, Matthews, Mackinnon.

I never got a Tavares feel from Strome. Tavares-lite maybe. I think Tavares has one of the best hockey IQs in the league it's just being completely wasted in NYI. Strome has a great IQ but everything else is around average with him give or take a little.
I think Patrick could very easily challenge Mackinnon in a draft year comparable. We just don't have Patricks full body of work yet for his draft year.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I never got a Tavares feel from Strome. Tavares-lite maybe. I think Tavares has one of the best hockey IQs in the league it's just being completely wasted in NYI. Strome has a great IQ but everything else is around average with him give or take a little.
I think Patrick could very easily challenge Mackinnon in a draft year comparable. We just don't have Patricks full body of work yet for his draft year.

You are right about the body of work - though Mackinnon had some (Crazy) Crosby whispers at times. I just don't see the same in Patrick, the buzz is not there - the previous drafts and their 1-2 punches seem to have but a damper on pumping this one. It isn't a bad thing; without the lofty expectations - he can work his way into whatever tier he belongs. We are still early though, plenty of times for this draft to get its legs.

JA

Patrick returns to the Wheat Kings lineup tonight.

http://www.brandonsun.com/sports/wheat-kings/patrick-eager-to-make-return-410600155.html?
Patrick eager to make return
By: Perry Bergson
Friday, Jan. 13, 2017

Nolan Patrick will make his long-awaited return to the Brandon Wheat Kings lineup tonight.

The 18-year-old forward from Winnipeg, who has been out since Oct. 11 but is still widely considered to be the leading contender to be picked first in this year’s National Hockey League draft, said he isn’t nervous as much as relieved.
C2A79paUUAAqi_l.jpg

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Its hard to think he isn't going to be a number 1 center with his skill set. He has a tremendous shot, good IQ, solid defense. I think maybe his skating will hold him back a bit at the NHL level but he is supremely talented. I see a lot of Eric Staal in him.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Was absolutely dominant on his way to the 1st star. Could've easily had a goal or 2 more as well. Made things happen every time he touched the ice

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Who's clearly ahead of him as a prospect from the past few drafts? McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, Laine... Anyone else? Has to be above RNH, Yak, arguably Ekblad.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
What a return for the kid. Had to wait awhile to post as I was watching two games at once while having company. Still at #1 as of now for me. He just does every little thing right. I think he's going to make a solid run with Hischier for 1st overall. 2017 just got really exciting for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille