C Nolan Patrick - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2017 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
He was playing through an injury that most people would sit out for. He's missed most of this year because of it. Also everyone on Brandon played bad, hasn't effected Provorov much.

His floor is Kesler. He's a mix of Benn, Kopitar and Getzlaf and imo will be a 70-80 point #1 shutdown C with a chance to be in the Selke conversation. Also if Patrick was playing in the OHL he'd be hyped by the media just as much as Tavares and Stamkos were.

Yikes. :laugh::laugh:

McDavid better watch out.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't think his two-way game is as good as it's hyped to be but it could get there. He's definitely not on Kopy's level yet. He's more offensively inclined. His release is great, soft hands and excellent IQ and vision. His skating isn't a weakness but it's not a strength either, he's more of a shifty skater than straight speed. He can blow by defenders if they are flat though as he's got some jump and decent hands in tight so he can beat you one on one. He's physical probably to much so at times as it wears on him. He'll score a lot of his goals in tight. And he's a beast on the forecheck. Often relentless in the pursuit of the puck.

If I had to compare him to anything. He's a more physical Ryan Johansen with more development behind him at the same age. Johansen took a bit longer to get where he is whereas I believe Patrick will be in the NHL by 2017-18 season and probably hitting 60+ points by year two.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
Wish Patrick was playing more. Would like to see people discuss comparables based more on recent play.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Not to rain on the parade, but I'm struggling to remember the last truly great offensive forward to be drafted recently out of the WHL.....in terms of offensive talent, the League seems to have been eclipsed by the OHL, NCAA and even the Q.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not to rain on the parade, but I'm struggling to remember the last truly great offensive forward to be drafted recently out of the WHL.....in terms of offensive talent, the League seems to have been eclipsed by the OHL, NCAA and even the Q.
Jamie Benn was drafted out of Penticton but developed in the WHL. The only league that seems to consistently produce top offensive players is the OHL (Kane, Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, Seguin, McDavid, etc). It is not like the Q has produced anything much better than the WHL since Giroux which was almost 10 years ago. I'd also say, Draisaitl is looking like a top offensive player right now.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

We develop defencemen and goalies more often. Weber, Kieth, Seabrook, Hamhuis, Price, Holtby, Dubnyk, Jones. Plus many more coming.

Though we do produce a lot of high end two-way guys at forward but they are never highly regarded at the draft.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC

One I can think of is Ryan Johansen - 2010, 4th overall, Portland Winterhawks.

He's an absolute force but his conditioning issues limit him to an extent. I personally believe, if he gave it his all every game, he would be a top 8 center in this league. Still a high end offensive player.

One could think of Nugent-Hopkins at least during his rookie year. Now, he's turned into a safer two-way guy instead of the offensive machine he was projected to be.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
One I can think of is Ryan Johansen - 2010, 4th overall, Portland Winterhawks.

He's an absolute force but his conditioning issues limit him to an extent. I personally believe, if he gave it his all every game, he would be a top 8 center in this league. Still a high end offensive player.

One could think of Nugent-Hopkins at least during his rookie year. Now, he's turned into a safer two-way guy instead of the offensive machine he was projected to be.
RNH's rookie year was a product of unsustainable percentages. But RyJo is a good shout.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
RNH's rookie year was a product of unsustainable percentages. But RyJo is a good shout.

In my opinion, it just seemed like he was more assertive offensively during that time - one that was creating and generating plays in the offensive zone better than he currently does as a more experienced player. I can't comment on deployment/and QoC though. Maybe he was out against weaker comp.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
RyJo was sick! That kid could create. Not nearly on the same level as Patrick IMO. Patty is a beast you will all see.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
Wish Patrick was playing more. Would like to see people discuss comparables based more on recent play.

It's why, IMHO, no one should draft this kid in the top10. It has been pointed out the kid hasn't played a full season in the past 5 years, suffering from a sports hernia and other shoulder issues.

Hell, we can't even see how he does in the WJC in a best on best tournament because he is injured.

Maybe saying he shouldn't be drafted in the top10 is too extreme, however, Nolan Patrick is not a top3 draft pick and probably the only reason he may get drafted in the top10 is because of how weak this draft is.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I don't think his two-way game is as good as it's hyped to be but it could get there. He's definitely not on Kopy's level yet. He's more offensively inclined. His release is great, soft hands and excellent IQ and vision. His skating isn't a weakness but it's not a strength either, he's more of a shifty skater than straight speed. He can blow by defenders if they are flat though as he's got some jump and decent hands in tight so he can beat you one on one. He's physical probably to much so at times as it wears on him. He'll score a lot of his goals in tight. And he's a beast on the forecheck. Often relentless in the pursuit of the puck.

If I had to compare him to anything. He's a more physical Ryan Johansen with more development behind him at the same age. Johansen took a bit longer to get where he is whereas I believe Patrick will be in the NHL by 2017-18 season and probably hitting 60+ points by year two.

I was just thinking he reminds me a lot of Ryan Johansen. Same size, same RHS, pretty similar style.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
It's why, IMHO, no one should draft this kid in the top10. It has been pointed out the kid hasn't played a full season in the past 5 years, suffering from a sports hernia and other shoulder issues.

Hell, we can't even see how he does in the WJC in a best on best tournament because he is injured.

Maybe saying he shouldn't be drafted in the top10 is too extreme, however, Nolan Patrick is not a top3 draft pick and probably the only reason he may get drafted in the top10 is because of how weak this draft is.

It's impressive how stupid of a post this is. You can literally go back 1 year and he played a full season. He played all 72 regular season games, 21 playoff games and 3 Mem Cup games for Brandon last year. He also played an extra 9 games in non Brandon games. So he played 105 games last year and 82 the year before but don't let facts get in your way.

Alex Galchenyuk played 8 games in his draft year including playoffs and went 3rd.....he's turned out pretty good so far even with Montreal messing with him. Morgan Rielly has turned out pretty good as well with his 23 draft year games.

Patrick has stayed at 1 because of how special of a talent he is.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA

Hope he falls in the Devils lap.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I'm guessing your last name is Mcrimmon and you're hoping to convince others to let Patrick fall into Vegas' lap no matter where the balls fall for them??

#nothappening

Pav96

Nov 22, 2016

Driastial? Benn? Pretty Decent Offensive players

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site

I here you. I went to their games against the Blazers and Rockets(wanted to see him against Foote) but of course Patrick was out. He'd be playing the big dog role this season and that would have been interesting.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
I know most think he'll go #1, but does anyone remember how most thought the top 3 of the last draft was Matthews, Laine, Puljujarvi, yet Dubois went third.

I have no clue yet what will happen, but Patrick hasn't locked himself into first, and especially in a bad draft without a definite 1OA or multiple good 1OA choices, a team picking first might want to get the player who they like the most.

Yeah well Dubois will be atleast good player, while Poolparty will be atleast great player. What about Patrick?

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
Apparently there was some drama today that he asked for a trade.

JA

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/junior/patrick-takes-step-forward-409948795.html
Patrick takes step forward
By: Mike Sawatzky
Posted: 01/6/2017 8:40 PM

Nolan Patrick took another small step in his comeback from injury Friday.

The 18-year-old Brandon Wheat Kings star skated on his own while his teammates hopped on a bus for Swift Current, Sask., where they were to play the Broncos Friday night.

Brandon returns from the road to host the Calgary Hitmen tonight at Westman Place.

It was Patrick's third consecutive day on the ice. The centre skated on his own Wednesday and practised in a non-contact jersey Thursday with the Wheat Kings.

"Obviously, I'm pretty happy to be back out there practising," Patrick said via telephone. "It's coming up on three months."

Patrick started the season as NHL Central Scouting's top-rated prospect for the 2017 draft.

After Friday, the Winnipeg product will have missed 34 games. Patrick has four goals and nine points in six games this season after leading the Wheat Kings to a WHL title last spring.

He was also named WHL playoff MVP after piling up 30 points in 21 games.

Patrick is planning a return to active duty this month, but declined to be more specific Friday. He reiterated his current situation is not related to the sports hernia surgery he had in the off-season.

"I know when I'm going to be back," said Patrick, who was sidelined with an unspecified upper-body injury Oct. 11. "I'll be telling people next week. I'm 95 per cent sure, but I'll wait in case something doesn't go well."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad