C Mitchell Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015, 4th, TOR) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Brills*

Assuming nylander plays C in the nhl in a sheltered role next year, doesn't marner on the wing for a bit make sense?

Jamesbay

Oct 19, 2014
Assuming nylander plays C in the nhl in a sheltered role next year, doesn't marner on the wing for a bit make sense?

Yes it does. As much as Leafs fans here hate to admit it, Marner is a natural winger. It's extremely uncommon for a player to play centre when he plays winger in junior.

figure

Nov 19, 2015
West Coast
Yes it does. As much as Leafs fans here hate to admit it, Marner is a natural winger. It's extremely uncommon for a player to play centre when he plays winger in junior.

He grew up playing center, has played center occasionally this year for the knights and of course for the OHL vs Russia series. So he isn't entirely unaccustomed to playing center. Really depends on who the leafs draft this year as far as long term positioning goes for Marner. He will very likely spend his first year in the NHL with low minutes on the wing yes, but that isn't telling for where he'll play long term.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
He grew up playing center, has played center occasionally this year for the knights and of course for the OHL vs Russia series. So he isn't entirely unaccustomed to playing center. Really depends on who the leafs draft this year as far as long term positioning goes for Marner. He will very likely spend his first year in the NHL with low minutes on the wing yes, but that isn't telling for where he'll play long term.

Didn't he play on a line with Strome at center?? EDIT: 1st game?

figure

Nov 19, 2015
West Coast
Didn't he play on a line with Strome at center?? EDIT: 1st game?

Strome played the previous game for OHL.

Marner played center the entire game, was a step above everyone else on the ice setting up players over and over in great spots. He was excellent as center that night, and was awarded player of the game for the OHL team.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

It looks like this for now. Wing may be his best position. He would have to increase his strength down low exponentially to play Center in the NHL in my mind, plus his game is all about keeping his feet moving, playing high allows him to do this. If you are a Center you are going to be down low a lot in defensive coverage. It sure doesn't look like he will be playing Center this year, not unless they split him up from Dvorak. Who is doing a wonderful job at Center between Marner and Tkachuk.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
It will be interesting to see if they go back to having Marner and Dvorak on two different lines as their top 2 Cs when they go up against Erie/Kitchener in the playoffs. Not sure if it's wise to group together all your main offensive threats on one line against those 2 clubs
Still early in the season, but the Knights only came up with 3 goals against Erie/Kitchener in 2 games

Marner last season in the playoffs ripped it up as a C

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Pretty sure Seguin was mostly a center in Plymouth, Giroux played a fair bit of wing in the Q and at times in Philly. Maybe he'll be like Kane or Parise where he'll end up there full time, but he could easily be like Zetterberg who has rotated back and forth most of his career. Its not like Marner has only played the wing in London, he's rotated its just that line has insane chemistry they don't want to break up. He's still the puck dominant player on the line and is the playmaker from the blue-line in.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada

We don't need to force it.
With our development crew and coaching staff, we can put him in a position for success - whether that be C or W.

We have no idea what will happen with this player. IMO he is very similar to a Drouin, in the sense of having the tools to be a Center; but may be a W at the next level. Unfortunately, because of the rules - I think we may see a similar +2 draft year that Drouin saw. (Being too good for Jr, but needing of seasoning before the NHL jump)

Come next year, we may decide to send him down to Jr. for one last assignment. Play 1st line C, prove leadership for your club and on the world stage. Unfortunately, he can't play pro in the AHL - but it may be better than 8-10mins in the NHL. Who know? Things can change fast.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
We'll see how his development goes with regards to him being a centre or a winger. Of course I'd like him to be playing centre for the Knights, but it'd be hard to justify breaking up one of the most offensive lines in Junior. It'd be better for Marner if he was playing centre for his development, but Dale Hunter doesn't care. His job is to win, and having Marner on the wing with Dvorak as his centre means more wins for the Knights.

Marner played centre during the Junior camp in the summer, perhaps he'll pay there again come late December.

Mar 12, 2009
He's on the wing, but doesn't exactly play like a prototypical up and down the ice right winger. He ends up being all over the ice a lot of the time. This obsession with whether he's a winger or center is a bit overblown in my opinion.

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
Marner may play a lot of time on the wing but he does a lot of the defensive work and helps Dvorak out.

With Nylander developing at C, it wouldn't be the end of the world to have Marner as a winger in the NHL.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
He's a natural center, and a damn good one. But with Nylander looking like a future #1C, and the rumours of Stamkos coming here, it's not out of the question to have him play wing with the occasional move to center.

JVR - Stamkos - Marner
Laine? - Nylander - Kapanen
Komarov - Kadri - Brown

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
He's a natural center, and a damn good one. But with Nylander looking like a future #1C, and the rumours of Stamkos coming here, it's not out of the question to have him play wing with the occasional move to center.

JVR - Stamkos - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Brown

Honestly if the small chance of landing Stamkos along with us getting a top 5 pick do happen, I could easily see us making the playoffs in two years, while being cup contenders the year after.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga
I don't think there are any rumors other than the typical HFboards speculation for Stamkos coming to Toronto.

And at this point I'm more interested in what Marner will be doing next year, he's clearly too good for Jr. and once he's racked up a few points he's not as interested in the game or it seems like it anyway.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

JVR - Stamkos - Marner
Komarov - Kadri - Brown

Honestly if the small chance of landing Stamkos along with us getting a top 5 pick do happen, I could easily see us making the playoffs in two years, while being cup contenders the year after.

That's all fine and good but who do you have on the blue line and which tire-fire is between the pipes?

As much as I love the skill in that top 9, until defense and goaltending is addressed it smacks of Oilers 2.0

bobbyt 91*

Had an other 3 point night, that line is 1 of the best jr lines I have ever seen

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
a 1 point or pointless night is almost unthinkable for that line right now

I could honestly see each member of that line between 2-2.5 ppg at the end of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad