C Mitchell Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015, 4th, TOR) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Marner reminds me of a slightly more dynamic Zach Parise.

He's got potential to be nominated for multiple Selke trophies.

Eh. His defensive game is good, but I don't think it's at the point where he could be considered a future selke nominee. If anything, I'd expect his calling card to be his offense.

MMMFAN

Nov 5, 2015
Serious question. Did Marner deserve to be the 2nd star today? I didn't see the game, but noticed he was minus 1 for the day. I know he got 3 assists, but they were all on the power play and two were pile on goals. Just curious.

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
Serious question. Did Marner deserve to be the 2nd star today? I didn't see the game, but noticed he was minus 1 for the day. I know he got 3 assists, but they were all on the power play and two were pile on goals. Just curious.

Yes. London was on the PP majority of the game so not much room to up the +/-. Marner was only out for 1 GA. That goal was scored simultaneously with when a London penalty expired, and it was 100% off a Jamieson turnover in his own zone. Before Jamieson's turnover, Marner played a significant role in London dominating that particular penalty kill (I don't recall Mississauga mustering a decent opportunity, or perhaps even a shot, on it).

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Yes. He was everywhere on the ice.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Caught the game tonight, and while Tkachuk had the hat trick, it was Marner who stole the show. He created almost all of the line's offense and could have had six points if his other linemate was a bit more skilled and able to convert a few more of the countless opportunities he created. It's crazy to imagine how good this kid is going to be in the NHL, the Leafs may have found themselves a Steve Yzerman type of player here - best defensive forward, best offensive forward, the team's leader and heart and soul.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
His defense really flies under the radar tbh. I lived in London and watched a few of his games - he reminds me of Patrick Kane but with Datsyuk's defensive awareness.

Wouldn't even be surprised if he put up Kane-like offensive numbers while being competitive for the Selke in a few years...

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
His defense really flies under the radar tbh. I lived in London and watched a few of his games - he reminds me of Patrick Kane but with Datsyuk's defensive awareness.

Wouldn't even be surprised if he put up Kane-like offensive numbers while being competitive for the Selke in a few years...

So basically Marner being far and away the best player in the world wouldn't surprise you.

Okay

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
So basically Marner being far and away the best player in the world wouldn't surprise you.

Okay

Remember there's an NHL head scout who sees him outscoring Eichel, so it is not the most outrageous opinion in the world.

Although, the strength of McDavid's defensive play makes me think Marner's upside is only 2nd best player in the world. :sarcasm:

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Yeah I love the Yzerman/Datsyuk comparison, I would also throw in the name Gilmour. His style of play and his talent+IQ resemble those players.

jimmyemery

Dec 20, 2014
Remember there's an NHL head scout who sees him outscoring Eichel, so it is not the most outrageous opinion in the world.

Although, the strength of McDavid's defensive play makes me think Marner's upside is only 2nd best player in the world. :sarcasm:

I don't see what McDavids defensive play has to do with Nylander edging out Marner for the best player in the world title.
:snide:

Last edited:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

So the best offensive and defensive player in the NHL wouldn't surprise you? I think Marner is great, but you should absolutely be surprised if he ends up better than Sergei Fedorov. :laugh:

Nylander seems to be getting all the hype from Leafs fans but after seeing Marner play live quite a few times the last two seasons IMO he should be the one everyone is talking about. He will need to get stronger, but I think the Leafs finally have the #1C they have been looking for forever. I could certainly see him contending for an Art Ross at some point in his career (don't see the Selke though).

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Who cares if Marner is a winger? As of now he looks like the 3rd best prospect from his draft. Does chicago wish they took a centre in Turis over one of the most dynamic wingers in the league in Kane? No they dont. Even as a winger Marner will be lethal on both ends of the ice.

horner

May 22, 2007
Yeah I love the Yzerman/Datsyuk comparison, I would also throw in the name Gilmour. His style of play and his talent+IQ resemble those players.

I wold agree.

You are starting to see the Film our treated in him. He loves to get his nose dirty and is becoming a bit of an agitator in him.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
"Did he deserve to be 2nd star? "I know he got 3 points but boy ohh boy that -1 is really showing up for me" on the stats sheet haha Of course he deserved to be the 2nd star.

Gotta love some posts. Just ignore the fact the kid put up 3 points and focus on the -1 lol what a useless freakin stat +/- is

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

He was fine on the PP.

Of his 3 assists. Only the last one would you say was noticeable.

On Dvorak's goal, it was a solo rush.

On Pinnich's goal, it was the result of a nice pass from Tkackuk

On Tkackuk's goal, Marner made a nice cross ice pass on the PP.

Here are the highlights.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/3d29c06d1e7a43048186a1a5aae8da97

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
He was fine on the PP.

Of his 3 assists. Only the last one would you say was noticeable.

On Dvorak's goal, it was a solo rush.

On Pinnich's goal, it was the result of a nice pass from Tkackuk

On Tkackuk's goal, Marner made a nice cross ice pass on the PP.

Here are the highlights.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/3d29c06d1e7a43048186a1a5aae8da97
Why did you quote the post and fail to answer the question?

More importantly, not sure what the highlights are supposed to show. I mean I cannot judge whether he deserved 2nd star without watching the game.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
euSGmO7.jpg

The Hunters are actually grooming him to be the future GM of the Knights :D

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto

Call me crazy but when any player gets three points in a game, they usually deserve one of the stars, no?

I didn't see the game either, but it seems kinda standard to me, for delivering that.

MMMFAN

Nov 5, 2015
Why did you quote the post and fail to answer the question?

More importantly, not sure what the highlights are supposed to show. I mean I cannot judge whether he deserved 2nd star without watching the game.

Hardly noticed Marner in the highlights. No way he deserved the 2nd star. Is it possible that Dvorak and Tkachuk are better prospects? Marner might have more skill, but Dvorak and Tkachuk seem to be more dominant.

Mar 12, 2009
Hardly noticed Marner in the highlights. No way he deserved the 2nd star. Is it possible that Dvorak and Tkachuk are better prospects? Marner might have more skill, but Dvorak and Tkachuk seem to be more dominant.

Based on the highlights of one game? Just curious if you watch Knights games? Having seen many games this year, Marner is not less dominant than those other two and often drives the offence. The three of them together are very hard to contain. The other two are great prospects a well, but I personally would rather have Marner than either of those two if I had to choose at this time. The 3 star selections in the OHL have been criticized in the past, this isn't as egregious as other selections in many other games, not sure why people are getting hung up on it. Seems kind of odd that it's bothering some this much.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Oddly enough this something that I'm actually somewhat in agreement with him with, and have been since before the draft. I think Marner is fantastic, but I think that some are over stating the gap between him and Barzal. IMO Barzal should have gone top 8, and been the next forward after Marner.

My preference was
Marner/Hanifin (indifference)

Barzal/ Provorov (indifference)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad