C Mitchell Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015, 4th, TOR) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Marner was great against Sweden. Can't believe that poster is actually using that game against him.

Also, right now Marner projects to be an elite player. His point production has been close to historic so far. His primary points per game currently is at an insane 1.76 ppg (first in the OHL). His four closest comparables, according to the projection projection players, are all elite.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Jesus you evaluate 3 games like it is do or die, it was 3 games... McDavid last year had 2 point in his first 3 games and didn't score until second game against Germany. Oh guess what? Marner had at least 2 points in those games too.

How about other prospects huh? Rantanen? He only had 5 points in 7 games- also a bunch of Finnish watchers stated that he was struggling. Guess he sucks now and is doomed to be a failure.

It why players have a career and play the freaking game. It's not defined by 3 games. How about in the OHL this year so far? 2.1 PPG and dangerous every-time he touches the ice.

At the world juniors we all saw flaws but also outstanding positives too. He could become a legend or a double D-cup bust, but its the fact that he has the potential to become one of the best players in the league is why he has Leafs fans excited. Why you got to dump on that?

If you can't handle some objective talk without freaking out, that's on you.

No problem with that, just that he seems to refuse to acknowledge the good games/points of Marner as well, just hanging onto the bad games.

I agree that Marner was definitely underwhelming at the WJC, but we also saw that he could be clutch in big games, can be physical and that his shot was actually pretty deadly. All thing people harp on him for. If he came off as "Marner sucked in so and so games, but he was also the best in so and so," instead of "Marner sucks!"- then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I referred to the three team Canada games I watched. Fwiw, he also supposedly looked bad in the first two periods of the Finn game before his big third period, but I won't mention that because I didn't see it.

It's like the polar opposite of the Nylander argument in the WJC last year. Nylander dominates the round robin games, but isn't as dominant in the final games.

Hfboards (aka. you): *whine* Nylander wasn't good in the games that matter. So he's not as good as everyone says. *whine*

This year, Marner not that strong in the round robin. Is brilliant in the final game that matters.

Hfboards (aka. you): *whine* Marner wasn't good in the games that don't matter. So he's not as good as everyone says. *whine*

You guys always have to find something to complain about. Even in a beauty highlight video you have to find away to bring up the unimportant games at the WJC. And you're trying to act like you don't care? :laugh: That's the funniest part of all this.

I remember you. Anytime people don't wax poetic about the Leafs you throw tantrums and call them Leafs haters, which is what you called me because I don't think Komarov is worth a 1st+2nd in trade value. You also called me a Leafs hater because I said Kessel wouldn't get a top-5 pick.

I've never said a bad word about Nylander, so you'll have to try harder.

Actually the thread was about the goal he scored the other day, a highlight reel goal and probably a GOTY candidate.

He barges in and basically says, "**** Marner, he was **** at the WJCs." You don't see anything wrong with hawksrule's thinking here?

I 'barged' in here and said **** Marner? I...don't know how to respond to such a demonstrably false and silly accusation, other than laugh and reiterate that you can ping me when he performs well against higher level competition.

I'm not sure if hawksrule just wants some attention or not, but that stuff has already been discussed to death, and has nothing to do with the goal.

Your armchair psychology is amusing. Sorry if I'm not overly impressed with moves he'd never get away with in the NHL.

It kills people inside when a Leafs player/prospect is doing well. You learn to ignore it. There will always be people that will never acknowledge a player or play for whatever the reason may be, on these boards its usually because of the Leafs stigma

We might be over-estimating his potential on the Leafs board too. Better pop over there and get your two cents in.

You guys and your persecution complex :laugh:

Last edited:

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Hawksrule first post in this thread.

There sure is some "objective talk" going on in that post.

that you can ping me when he performs well against higher level competition.

We won't but if that's what you're waiting for you might as well leave this thread now. He's not going to be playing against better competition than what the CHL has to offer for the rest of this season at least. So save yourself the trouble and take a 6 months hiatus from this thread.

Last edited:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
There sure is some "objective talk" going on in that post.

We won't but if that's what you're waiting for you might as well leave this thread now. He's not going to be playing against better competition than what the CHL has to offer for the rest of this season at least. So save yourself the trouble and take a 6 months hiatus from this thread.

So he'll make the Leafs next year?

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
So he'll make the Leafs next year?

"Rest of the season at least"

Depends on what shape he's in come September, but with his skill the Leafs would be hard pressed to send him back to the OHL. The biggest worry right now is weight and muscle. Height-wise he's fine. If he comes to camp at like 175lbs he's got a good shot in my opinion, but who knows what management has in store.

If the AHL were an option that'd be the best place for him next year. Unfortunately it's not.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014

These posts were originally on the main board. I didn't come to a prospect thread to make the observations.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
These posts were originally on the main board. I didn't come to a prospect thread to make the observations.

You know people said similar things when Rielly was in WJC? Look at him now.

I couldn't give a flying **** what people think of prospects during the WJC

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I remember you. Anytime people don't wax poetic about the Leafs you throw tantrums and call them Leafs haters, which is what you called me because I don't think Komarov is worth a 1st+2nd in trade value. You also called me a Leafs hater because I said Kessel wouldn't get a top-5 pick.

I've never said a bad word about Nylander, so you'll have to try harder.

And I remember you. The Hawks fan that came into a Washington Toronto proposal and started criticizing Komarov and leaf fans. Now I'm not surprised at all that you've migrated here and have already pissed off a large contingency of the leaf fans on here. It all makes sense now. But of course you're not a leaf hater, I believe you.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
top prospects playing in junior should be able to opt out of scoring nice goals/making nice plays.

be like "i could make a move here to get in alone but it will be the type of move that people on the internet will agree would not work against an NHL defenseman so it would actually hurt my development and potential as a future NHL player" and dump it and change.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
And I remember you. The Hawks fan that came into a Washington Toronto proposal and started criticizing Komarov and leaf fans. Now I'm not surprised at all that you've migrated here and have already pissed off a large contingency of the leaf fans on here. It all makes sense now. But of course you're not a leaf hater, I believe you.

Grow up. I didn't criticize Komarov other than saying he's not worth a 1st + 2nd. And I said nothing about Leafs fans. Stop lying, I don't care for it.

And if my accurate description of Marner in the games against USA, Switzerland, and Sweden 'pisses you off', that's your issue, not mine.

Last edited:

BWDude

Nov 13, 2015

I just looked at two pages on his past comments and EVERY single time it involves a leaf, he says something negative about them. Should've realized it sooner, why even respond to this guy, he's not being objective as he just brings up the negatives. It's like if I just dump on Kane's size and accusations even if he's the leading scorer and is the cup winner. (ex. Marner scores a great goal and he just brings up WJC games)

Gonna be fun when Marner starts ripping up the league. ;)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Reminds me of Mattheiu Perrault

That's an interesting comparison. How so?

I can see it. Good hands and vision. Not soft or floaty but not overly aggressive or selke level. Not MSL or Gaudreau level but sorta undersized.

Perrault is an interesting comparison for Marner. But I don't really see it. I actually see a lot Daniel Briere in Marner. Great stick skills, more shifty as a skater than overly fast, not that big, very good PP player, played RW/C in the NHL. Briere had a very solid NHL career.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Perrault is an interesting comparison for Marner. But I don't really see it. I actually see a lot Daniel Briere in Marner. Great stick skills, more shifty as a skater than overly fast, not that big, very good PP player, played RW/C in the NHL. Briere had a very solid NHL career.

Briere was also a pretty aggressive player for a little guy. and Marner seens like a bit of a sparkplug himself. at least, he showed himself prone to undisciplined play in the WJC. the penalty vs Finland for example.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Briere was also a pretty aggressive player for a little guy. and Marner seens like a bit of a sparkplug himself. at least, he showed himself prone to undisciplined play in the WJC. the penalty vs Finland for example.

Also the headshot against Sweden for which he should have been suspended.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
I don't think there is an issue wanting to see Marner succeed at a higher level. It's what all fans should want for their prospects. However, that doesn't mean what a player does in Junior is worthless. Marner won't have 2PPG in the NHL either, but his success is still something to be valued.

One goal shouldn't change an opinion on Marner, just as one WJC performance in isolation shouldn't either. Prospects don't develop from point A (junior) to point Z (NHL.) There is going to be struggles along the way, and yes, Marner did have struggles at the WJC. Personally I liked how he finished. It's also not going to be the last time he struggles. Few (if any) players are perfect, and it isn't going to be an easy or straight path to being an NHL regular.

I hope Marner does the most with his opportunity in training camp next season, because I don't think there is enough of a challenge left for him in the OHL. AHL would be nice, but isn't an option.

As an aside, I always find it comical how the contrarians' post is the objective one. This applies to fans of all teams, and I see Leafs fan often do it to. Being a fan of a team doesn't mean you can't be objective. Just like not being a fan, or being a contrarian doesn't mean you're the objective one. Bias shapes both sides. Furthermore, constantly proclaiming you're opinion is the objective one is both narcissistic, arrogant, and probably not true. Frankly, it's the equivalent of the "hater" comment from the other side and most often ruins any chance at a legitimate discussion.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

The Briere comparison is the best comparison I have seen here. It's a lot better than comparing Marner to Gilmour which I do not see at all. Briere was a very good top 6 player. Gilmour was a once in a lifetime generational Leaf, franchise player, and Center.

Marner will do well if he has a career like Briere. They share a lot of similarities in style. A very good NHL career and player, that was not the best player in the NHL in the time of other great players. But he was very good from the good batch of players.

BWDude

Nov 13, 2015
Comparatively, Marner is closer to P Kane than Brier...

I'd say that Briere is his most likely projection, while Sam Gagner is like his potential floor and P.Kane is his potential upside.

That says alot about what kind of a prospect Marner is, likely to be a good nhler with the potential to be truly one of the best is why he's such a raved about prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese