C Mitchell Marner - London Knights, OHL (2015, 4th, TOR) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I just looked at two pages on his past comments and EVERY single time it involves a leaf, he says something negative about them. Should've realized it sooner, why even respond to this guy, he's not being objective as he just brings up the negatives. It's like if I just dump on Kane's size and accusations even if he's the leading scorer and is the cup winner. (ex. Marner scores a great goal and he just brings up WJC games)

Gonna be fun when Marner starts ripping up the league. ;)

It's sad and kind of creepy that you're so focused on me. But regarding your post, I've said nothing negative about any Leafs, other than noting Marner's poor WJC play. That you would resort to fabrications to discredit me highlights your own insecurities about him. This thread is about Marner, not me, try to stick to the topic.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I don't think people fully appreciate how good Briere was.

Agreed. Briere and Drury in Buffalo did a lot of work.

About his WJC, he didn't have his best games but Marner was still one of the best Canadian players in those games. If he did awful, the rest of the team did horrible.

BWDude

Nov 13, 2015
It's sad and kind of creepy that you're so focused on me. But regarding your post, I've said nothing negative about any Leafs, other than noting Marner's poor WJC play. That you would resort to fabrications to discredit me highlights your own insecurities about him. This thread is about Marner, not me, try to stick to the topic.

I just scanned over a comment on Gardiner and the return on Phaneuf, its not a fabrication- and also you're discrediting me now.

Whatever, at this point this is getting way out of hand and I definitely agree lets get back on track on discussing Marner. I'm saying he's at least going to be a good nhler, and a poor WJC showing or a great goal is in no way going to change that.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Agreed. Briere and Drury in Buffalo did a lot of work.

Yeah, when healthy Briere was a solid 70 point guy (peaked at 90+) who had a ton of playoff mileage on his body. His performance with Philly in 2010 was one of the best playoff performances we've seen in a long time.

buttman*

I'd say that Briere is his most likely projection, while Sam Gagner is like his potential floor and P.Kane is his potential upside.

That says alot about what kind of a prospect Marner is, likely to be a good nhler with the potential to be truly one of the best is why he's such a raved about prospect.

Except that he doesn't play like Briere at all. Nor does his game resemble Gagner's.Marner is more of a two way player than either. He's also taller. Slight of build, yes. He also is more dangerous on the rush than either of those two. Briere and Gagner generated chances down low or in Gagner's case on the half boards. Briere with his quickness, Gagner -- on the PP, but never really could generate much at the pro level. Once Edmonton got better players and his PP time went down he rarely scored. Briere was uber quick around the net. Neither was similar to Marner at all.

He plays more like Nikita Kucherov or Evgeny Kuznetsov with slightly more flare and less size. He plays a dymanic European type skill game - attacking off the rush.

BWDude

Nov 13, 2015
It is a fabrication. I said Gardiner isn't as good as Hamonic. That makes me a Leafs hater who shouldn't be responded to? Ffs. Don't be so sensitive.

Have you said anything good about marner so far? I just saw a bunch of negative Marner comments, even in response to a great goal. It can definitely be interpreted as a bias and I'm just responding to that, nothing more.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Have you said anything good about marner so far? I just saw a bunch of negative Marner comments, even in response to a great goal. It can definitely be interpreted as a bias and I'm just responding to that, nothing more.

I said one negative comment about Marner, that he sucked in the WJC games I watched, which is true and accurate. I'm unfamiliar with the rationale that obligates me to artificially counterbalance that observation with something positive.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
For those that do not recall Briere when he was in his prime. Here is a highlight package of some of his more memorable goals. Marner and Briere are very similar in skill. Briere had a very good NHL career of over 300 goals and 700 points.

Just turn down the sound of the video.

BWDude

Nov 13, 2015
I said one negative comment about Marner, that he sucked in the WJC games I watched, which is true and accurate. I'm unfamiliar with the rationale that obligates me to artificially counterbalance that observation with something positive.

It's the time and place that matter too. You brought up these comments just after Marner scored a great goal. If it was some time after the WJs or after a disappointing showing I could definitely agree that he sucked, but why bring it up after this?

I know its a Marner thread and all discussion is welcome, but after he does something good- the negativity is bound to bring some responders such as myself.

Last edited:

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
It's the time and place that matter too. You brought up these comments just after Marner scored a great goal. If it was some time after the WJs or after a disappointing showing I could definitely agree that he sucked, but why bring it up after this?

I know its a Marner thread and all discussion is welcome, but after he does something good- the negativity is bound to bring some responders such as myself.

I didn't bring it up in this thread. I said it on a main board thread which was moved here. And being underwhelmed with his play against better competition certainly tempers my reaction to a highlight reel goal against lesser competition, what can I say. That doesn't make one a Leafs hater, which imo has become a lazy hf refrain to deflect discussion.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I didn't bring it up in this thread. I said it on a main board thread which was moved here. And being underwhelmed with his play against better competition certainly tempers my reaction to a highlight reel goal against lesser competition, what can I say. That doesn't make one a Leafs hater, which imo has become a lazy hf refrain to deflect discussion.

You're saying it like he scored that goal against plugs.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Perrault is an interesting comparison for Marner. But I don't really see it. I actually see a lot Daniel Briere in Marner. Great stick skills, more shifty as a skater than overly fast, not that big, very good PP player, played RW/C in the NHL. Briere had a very solid NHL career.

I don't know if he'll be as good as Briere was in his prime. But it is a very interesting comparable considering his position and the fact that he and Drury were co captains on Buffalo like Marner and Dvorak are co captains on the Knights. I remember Briere was also really strong too (especially his lower body) and did intense workouts even though he didn't weigh a lot, so Marner is gonna have to put a lot of work in it. Offensively they are similar, defensively though, I'd say Marner has the potential to be a lot better.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
You expect to see that in an nhl game? Please.

I assume you say this stuff about all prospects.

I did not say I expect it in the NHL, but I can appreciate a nice goal against high level competition. If you can't, fine. Let people enjoy this stuff and hush up.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
I assume you say this stuff about all prospects.

I did not say I expect it in the NHL, but I can appreciate a nice goal against high level competition. If you can't, fine. Let people enjoy this stuff and hush up.

I would say it to anyone who posted their prospect's goal on the main boards instead of the prospect threads, especially if the prospect in question recently sucked in the wjc's.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
You expect to see that in an nhl game? Please.

There are a lot of stuff that happen in NHL games that people don't expect to see. Do you think we expected to see Morgan Rielly going coast to coast and scoring a top shelf toe drag goal in the NHL last year?

All there needs to be is one defenceman caught flatfooted for something like that to happen. Just one. Now expecting it to be an every game occurrence is unlikely but considering Marner has already scored 31 other goals in a different manner this season, it's not like he'll have to solely rely on that move to be successful...which is basically what you're saying.

smpo11

May 30, 2006
It is definitely tougher to pull off plays like that in the NHL. But the skill to be able to pull off plays like that is transferable to the NHL in so many ways. Todays game is all about speed, skill and puck possession.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
Briere was a top end talent who had his production limited by loads of injuries throughout his career. I still think marners ceiling is a bit higher, but this comparable is not unflattering. Most posters probably remember the old briere playing in philly, broken down by age and injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad