C Matthew Rempe - NY Rangers (2020, 165th, NYR)

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
That's fine, there's a difference between saying "we like him here because he hits hard and plays a role that we want" and claiming that he's talented. It's very clear what part of his game has him in an NHL lineup. At the sample size we have right now analytics are useless.
Its just evident you havent really watched him play, thats all. His line consistently is controling the puck, winning puck battles, causing turnovers and wreaking havoc. And of course hes a pretty damn good net front presence. I think you should watch him before you continue to opine on him.

Oh, I should add, hes good on faceoffs too. He wins an o-zone draw vs the devils captain, wins a board battle vs him, parks in front and is the reason for the game winning goal.

Get used to him, youre gonna enjoy watching him for years to come.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I think people have different expectations of 4th liners based on what their team tends to look for with them. Some teams want 4th liners that defend well, some want to hide pk players on the 4th line, others want a 4th line that can take a reg shift to buy rest for the others on the roster, and some want a shot disturbing 4th line that can punish the other team. I will take a player like remote ALL DAY that is out there to make an impact and wear down the other team physically. The elbow was horrible, that's a bad play from a kid that panicked when the devil player pulled up. Rempe will learn that it's okay to just miss the player sometimes instead of forcing the big hit. Meanwhile you can already see d men from other teams changing their routes when retrieving picks or even sometimes pulling up to avoid the contact from rempe. He's huge and he hits hard, he just needs to keep it legal. At the end of the day he's been in the league for three weeks and everyone knows who his is and when he is on the ice. That's a young 4th liner making an impact for himself and his team.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
"Play" is generous. Being tough against the New Jerseys of the league isn't exactly impressive.

Tom Wilson he isn't.
I dont expect him to be as good as tom wilson. I am more than content with him being an above average 4th liner. But btw, by every metric, hes having a better rookie year than tom wilson did. But, facts again mannnn

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, it’s been mentioned already, but he’s legitimately been very good in the minutes he plays.

Take away the sideshow everyone wants to focus on, which brings a fear factor and causes the polarization, but he’s been a real positive in his shifts. If he keeps that up, you are looking for more minutes for him.

Not everyone progresses linearly. Chara didn’t come into the league as a 1D. It took time. Being 6’9 played a huge part. That’s why people want to draft Silayev. It’s for what he can be. Not what he is now. Thats not to say Rempe will be an elite NHL’er, but it’s not looking like he’s only there to fight either.

Having a 6’9 unicorn who has already went from a weak skater to a very good skater in a few years is a huge asset. It might take a little longer for the points in the NHL. And maybe it won’t come, but he’s made a lot of progress already since being drafted. Not exactly surprising a guy who is NBA power forward size might take longer than most to realize his potential and see his improvements.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Its just evident you havent really watched him play, thats all. His line consistently is controling the puck, winning puck battles, causing turnovers and wreaking havoc. And of course hes a pretty damn good net front presence. I think you should watch him before you continue to opine on him.

Oh, I should add, hes good on faceoffs too. He wins an o-zone draw vs the devils captain, wins a board battle vs him, parks in front and is the reason for the game winning goal.

Get used to him, youre gonna enjoy watching him for years to come.
Ultimately, it will be his play outside of hitting and fighting that determines his outcome as an NHL player. In that regard he has some ability and hopefully learns to channel the other stuff. At some point a major penalty will hurt the Rangers. It's one thing to head shot a player on a demoralized team having a lousy season but he'll have to be careful if he wants to stay in the lineup in the playoffs.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
He’s playing 5 minutes a night.

Definitely not one of the best 4th liners in hockey
This is a disingenuous argument.

Yes, if you look at Rempe's stats, he has only averaged 5:38 per game, but that number is completely devoid of context. He played 13 seconds in one game because he was thrown out for a hit, and he only played 4:48 in another because he got thrown out again.

Had he not gotten thrown out the 2nd time, he would have played more than his average, as he had done the previous 4 games. In fact, he had played a season high of 11:08 just 2 days prior.

He's a 21-year-old rookie getting his 1st taste of the NHL on the 4th line. It's expected that he will get limited minutes until the coach knows he can trust him, and by the way his minutes have increased, it shows that Lavi's trust in him is growing.

Now, playing only 10 games, getting thrown out of 2 of them, and forcing his team to kill off two 5-minute majors is hardly something I would attribute to a good 4th liner, but he does have a positive impact when he manages to stay on the ice. If he can learn to be less reckless while still maintaining a punishing style, he can have a very nice NHL career.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
You'd think that Laviolette would be eager to get one of the best 4th liners in the league back in the lineup after his suspension.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You'd think that Laviolette would be eager to get one of the best 4th liners in the league back in the lineup after his suspension.
It’s not as simple as you make it seem.

Rempe is a good player, but there are only two players he could replace in the lineup, Brodzinski and Goodrow. The rest are top 6/9 guys or elite bottom six forwards (Vesey).

Brodzinski scored the last game and the team won. If he hadn’t, Rempe would’ve been in the lineup today.

Goodrow should be the one coming out, but he has all those intangibles that NHL coaches refuse to put in the press box, so it’s likely going to take more time for our coach to muster the courage to scratch Goodrow.

And be honest, you are thanking your lucky stars that Rempe is sitting tonight.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
It’s not as simple as you make it seem.

Rempe is a good player, but there are only two players he could replace in the lineup, Brodzinski and Goodrow. The rest are top 6/9 guys or elite bottom six forwards (Vesey).

Brodzinski scored the last game and the team won. If he hadn’t, Rempe would’ve been in the lineup today.

Goodrow should be the one coming out, but he has all those intangibles that NHL coaches refuse to put in the press box, so it’s likely going to take more time for our coach to muster the courage to scratch Goodrow.

And be honest, you are thanking your lucky stars that Rempe is sitting tonight.
I am happy he's sitting, because I don't want him to affect the rest of our season by being reckless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad