C Matthew Rempe - NY Rangers (2020, 165th, NYR)

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

Attachments

• 1708850057678.png
    1708850057678.png
    97.4 KB · Views: 7

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I tend to rubbish most of the late round picks we have. Most of them aren’t going to be NHL’ers, but I think Rempe has a better shot than most. He’s a super heavyweight enforcer. He’ll be the biggest player in the NHL. He’s destroyed some dudes in fights over the years, and he fought on heavyweight enforcer Ross Johnston yesterday in a preseason game after he wrecked one of the Isle prospects with a hit, and did no worse than a draw. I doubt he’s anything more than a fourth line enforcer, but I think he could get games as that.
I hit the jackpot with this take.

He's even better than I thought.

I know most fans hate him already, but you have to hand it to him for how well his first few weeks has gone.

Consider:

• 6th round pick. Big, scrawny guy when he was drafted with a little skill. Nowhere near the physical beast he's become now.
  • Has improved his skating so much. He's went from a below average skater to probably one of the best skaters in the league, considering size. His skating speed was clocked as second fastest on the team in Saturday's game.
  • He's now a physical beast. Tallest guy in the league and one of the heaviest. One of the biggest and most fearsome hitters in the league. It's unfortunate, but he's injured 3 players in 10 games.
  • All the enforcers are challenging him to staged fights. He's been very competitive so far in his fights. Only 1 real loss, and has arguably beat 1 or 2 of the veteran enforcers.
  • His hitting forces players to move the puck quicker than they want to. This is very clear watching his shifts. Players are scared he's going to injure them.
  • He's contributing offensively. Has played less than 60 minutes (56:38), and has 2 points. Had a goal called back on Saturday that probably shouldn't have been. Screened the goalie yesterday for a goal, although he didn't get any points. He's a legitimate asset. Evidenced by a 53.93% xGF%. That's better than every current regular on the Rangers (only Chytil and his 10 games before season-ending injury beat that). He definitely tilts the ice, and is earning more ice time.
  • Is he not a top 5 storyline in the league right now? Rookies are tasked with making an immediate impact and making sure they can stick in the league. He's absolutely done that. He's solidified a place in the league for years to come.
  • And he's most definitely getting suspended for a hit yesterday. He'll be back soon enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

I know most fans hate him already, but you have to hand it to him for how well his first few weeks has gone.

Consider:

• 6th round pick. Big, scrawny guy when he was drafted with a little skill. Nowhere near the physical beast he's become now.
  • Has improved his skating so much. He's went from a below average skater to probably one of the best skaters in the league, considering size. His skating speed was clocked as second fastest on the team in Saturday's game.
  • He's now a physical beast. Tallest guy in the league and one of the heaviest. One of the biggest and most fearsome hitters in the league. It's unfortunate, but he's injured 3 players in 10 games.
  • All the enforcers are challenging him to staged fights. He's been very competitive so far in his fights. Only 1 real loss, and has arguably beat 1 or 2 of the veteran enforcers.
  • His hitting forces players to move the puck quicker than they want to. This is very clear watching his shifts. Players are scared he's going to injure them.
  • He's contributing offensively. Has played less than 60 minutes (56:38), and has 2 points. Had a goal called back on Saturday that probably shouldn't have been. Screened the goalie yesterday for a goal, although he didn't get any points. He's a legitimate asset. Evidenced by a 53.93% xGF%. That's better than every current regular on the Rangers (only Chytil and his 10 games before season-ending injury beat that). He definitely tilts the ice, and is earning more ice time.
  • Is he not a top 5 storyline in the league right now? Rookies are tasked with making an immediate impact and making sure they can stick in the league. He's absolutely done that. He's solidified a place in the league for years to come.
  • And he's most definitely getting suspended for a hit yesterday. He'll be back soon enough.
Great first 10 games, and a very likable player, despite a lot people who are turning him into a villain for pretty illogical reasons.
Your genius will simply never be matched bro.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022

Consider:

Great first 10 games, and a very likable player, despite a lot people who are turning him into a villain for pretty illogical reasons.
Anyone who just claims hes some talentless plug has not watched him. Hes one of the best 4th liners in hockey

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Weird that such a talented guy hasn't put up offensive numbers at any level he's played at.
Fyi he had 31 points in 47 games predominantly at 5v5 play his draft year in the WHL, .66 points per game

For perspective in their draft years:

1) Milan Lucic: 19 points in 62 games in the whl, .31 points per game
2) Tom Wilson 27 points in 49 games in the OHL, .55 points per game

Respectfully, log off, do your homework and then come back pal

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Fyi he had 31 points in 47 games predominantly at 5v5 play his draft year in the WHL, .66 points per game

For perspective in their draft years:

1) Milan Lucic: 19 points in 62 games in the whl, .31 points per game
2) Tom Wilson 27 points in 49 games in the OHL, .55 points per game

Respectfully, log off, do your homework and then come back pal
And then they proceeded to improve on those numbers, rather than regress. Just because you can find two players that also had shitty numbers doesn't make his numbers less shitty.

23 points in 56 games in the WHL in your draft+2 season is abysmal even for a defenseman.

Respectfully :eyeroll:

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
And then they proceeded to improve on those numbers, rather than regress. Just because you can find two players that also had shitty numbers doesn't make his numbers less shitty.

23 points in 56 games in the WHL in your draft+2 season is abysmal even for a defenseman.

Respectfully :eyeroll:
8 goals in 43 AHL games as a 21 year old at 5v5 play is fine by any measure for a 4th liner who will be nuking opponents dmen nightly.

Youre acting like were talking about people projecting him to be a top 6 player when were all moreeee than comfortable with a guy like him being a staple on our 4th line for years to come.

Hes a very good nhl 4th liner already as a 21 year old. Its not really an opinion but moreso a fact by every analytical measure out there

Reactions: Dijock94

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
8 goals in 43 AHL games as a 21 year old at 5v5 play is fine by any measure for a 4th liner who will be nuking opponents dmen nightly.

Youre acting like were talking about people projecting him to be a top 6 player when were all moreeee than comfortable with a guy like him being a staple on our 4th line for years to come.

Hes a very good nhl 4th liner already as a 21 year old. Its not really an opinion but moreso a fact by every analytical measure out there
That's fine, there's a difference between saying "we like him here because he hits hard and plays a role that we want" and claiming that he's talented. It's very clear what part of his game has him in an NHL lineup. At the sample size we have right now analytics are useless.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad