C Mathew Barzal - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015, 16th, NYI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsmaster*

Then Giants won't get him. Barzal is a once in a decade type prospect... Seattle wont give him up cheap at all if they do trade him. They will make a team pay huge for him and someone will pay huge

Barzal isn't nearly as hyped as Nathan Mackinnon was.

He was traded for 3-1sts and two decent QMJHLers.

The 1st round picks weren't the best picks Halifax had either, nor we're they the most recent.

Barzal will likely get moved after the 2013 bantam draft.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I have a feeling this will get Barzal thinking to sign a damn WHL contract soon.... It was Barzal vs McDavid at that mentorship cup thing that was on TSN, and they both looked unreal.... McDavid went to a garbage Erie team and is lighting it up and is now going to start making all that money!!!....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=411371

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
I have a feeling this will get Barzal thinking to sign a damn WHL contract soon.... It was Barzal vs McDavid at that mentorship cup thing that was on TSN, and they both looked unreal.... McDavid went to a garbage Erie team and is lighting it up and is now going to start making all that money!!!....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=411371

Different animal. If Brazal was playing in the Dub as a 15 year old, and having similar success, sure. Not the case though. Somewhere down the line, perhaps, but what makes McDavid so appealing right now from a marketing perspective is the fact he's doing this as a 15 year old.

Oct 15, 2008
Different animal. If Brazal was playing in the Dub as a 15 year old, and having similar success, sure. Not the case though. Somewhere down the line, perhaps, but what makes McDavid so appealing right now from a marketing perspective is the fact he's doing this as a 15 year old.

In Ontario.

Big difference.

Nobody in the GTA knows who Barzal is.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
In Ontario.

Big difference.

Nobody in the GTA knows who Barzal is

Understandable.... Im sure the only way people in Ontario would know who Barzal was is if WHL did the exceptional player thing too... Cuz most in BC wouldnt know who McDavid was if that rule wasn't in place and he was playing midget too

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Understandable.... Im sure the only way people in Ontario would know who Barzal was is if WHL did the exceptional player thing too... Cuz most in BC wouldnt know who McDavid was if that rule wasn't in place and he was playing midget too

Exactly my point. Has everything to do with his exceptional status.

Oct 15, 2008

I was thinking more along the lines of McDavid being from Toronto, and playing his minor hockey there, and getting all the press/exposure that comes with playing in and being from the center of the universe.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
I was thinking more along the lines of McDavid being from Toronto, and playing his minor hockey there, and getting all the press/exposure that comes with playing in and being from the center of the universe.

To be fair, nobody outside of those that follow the GTHL/AAA hockey in Ontario knew who McDavid was until last season. I don't think the Toronto factor plays that big a role. Just look at Tyler Benson. People are starting to take notice of him around the same time.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Barzal had 12 points in past 2 games this weekend... 8 points in Saturday game and 4 points in Sunday game to bring his point total 66 points in 21 games in the highest level of midget in BC (BC Major Midget League) The kid is unreal. I really hope he signs in Seattle (WHL needs this guy, not NCAA!!!!!) On pace for over 120 points or so and would be record point total and shattering Nugent-Hopkins total points when he was that age(15 years old)... wow

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
Barzal had 12 points in past 2 games this weekend... 8 points in Saturday game and 4 points in Sunday game to bring his point total 66 points in 21 games in the highest level of midget in BC (BC Major Midget League) The kid is unreal. I really hope he signs in Seattle (WHL needs this guy, not NCAA!!!!!) On pace for over 120 points or so and would be record point total and shattering Nugent-Hopkins total points when he was that age(15 years old)... wow

do you know if he is leaning towards the WHL or the NCAA right now? if the NCAA is he leaning towards any school inparticular?

arsmaster*

do you know if he is leaning towards the WHL or the NCAA right now? if the NCAA is he leaning towards any school inparticular?

He's on record saying he wants to be in the dub.

I just don't think he's wants to go to Seattle.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
It sounds as if he wants to play in the WHL, but not for Seattle.

He's also been interested in the NCAA route since before the Bantam Draft and I've seen rumors of him having strong interest in Boston College.

bigbadbruins7

Dec 18, 2011
CT
It sounds as if he wants to play in the WHL, but not for Seattle.

He's also been interested in the NCAA route since before the Bantam Draft and I've seen rumors of him having strong interest in Boston College.

that would be awesome. huge BC hockey fan right here.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Unless he can fast track his education like Toews did and get in the NCAA at 17 in 2014 I just can't see him waiting two more years (and presumably playing in the BCHL) until 2015 without switching to the WHL. Sounds like he could very much be the real deal. I'd put the percentage pretty high he's in the WHL next year, whether it's with Seattle who knows. Harkins has already played a WHL game, too bad Seattle owns his rights right now or we could be seeing Barzal getting WHL games shortly.

Last edited:

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
Unless he can fast track his education like Toews did and get in the NCAA at 17 in 2014 I just can't see him waiting two more years (and presumably playing in the BCHL) until 2015 without switching to the WHL. Sounds like he could very much be the real deal. I'd put the percentage pretty high he's in the WHL next year, whether it's with Seattle who knows. Harkins has already played an NCAA game, too bad Seattle owns his rights right now or we could be seeing Barzal getting WHL games shortly.

(I think you meant WHL games)

Agree. Barzal is too good to play the next couple years in the BCHL. I would love to see how he does in a few WHL games this year but doesn't appear that is going to happen.

Does anyone know how Harkins looked in his PG game?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
(I think you meant WHL games)

Agree. Barzal is too good to play the next couple years in the BCHL. I would love to see how he does in a few WHL games this year but doesn't appear that is going to happen.

Does anyone know how Harkins looked in his PG game?

He looked young and somewhat out of place due to his age and lack of WHL experience obviously... didnt really do too much... still soooo young and will be good. PG's other first rounder in that year has played a few games now(Brad Morrisson 6th or 7th overall) and he has looked good. Nice to see these highly skilled, and highly touted players committ to their WHL teams even though their WHL teams are pretty bad. Good players make their teams better and it shows alot of character with the kids(hopefully you are reading this Barzal and sign with Seattle!!!!...You will be the poster boy of the WHL!!!haha)

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
Wow, 66 points in 21 games.

Leading the BCMML by a 21-point margin and missed three games.

In comparison, RNH had 87 points in 36 games at the same age.

Morlesio14*

Someone told me Barzal played centre. is tht correct? What type of forward is he? Playmaker? Sniper? i know he's not a two way forward

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
Someone told me Barzal played centre. is tht correct? What type of forward is he? Playmaker? Sniper? i know he's not a two way forward

Here are two video's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPT_v0_62hc&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j6Zmfyns8w

Seems to be a goal scorer and playmaker.

Curious why you know he isn't a two way forward? Can someone not be high caliber at both ends? 5:30 of the Sno Kings game is a good indication of what he does with the back check and taking the open man.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Found this tidbit today:
However, Prince George fans that think they can get Mathew Barzal, the No. 1 pick in the 2012 bantam draft, from Seattle for Forsberg can keep on dreaming.

Sources close to the situation are adamant it is just a matter of time before Barzal inks a deal with the Thunderbirds. They also noted Seattle’s 2011 first-round pick, Ryan Gropp, could quite likely follow suit after Barzal.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhoc...-whl-trade-deadline-approaches-031417584.html

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
10 more points in 2 games this past weekend in BC Major Midget League... 80 points(22 goals 58 assists) in 25 games so far this season.... un #*$@ ing believable... He has always been compared to Nugent-Hopkins. Just to compare and just for fun, at the same age in the same league, RNH played in 36 games and finished with 40 goals and 47 assists for 87 points. Barzal is on pace to shatter that point total. Barzal is Seattle T-Bird property and Seattle is currently on a 14 game losing streak. How desperately does Seattle need this guy!!???hahah... he will be the golden boy of Seattle until he plays NHL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad