C Mathew Barzal - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015, 16th, NYI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
As far as Barzal is concerned, by the time his minor hockey season ends, he'll be 16, so he won't really be a 15 year old playing in the DUB. Minor detail I know, but I'm a sucker for details.

This literally has nothing to do with anything.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
As far as Barzal is concerned, by the time his minor hockey season ends, he'll be 16, so he won't really be a 15 year old playing in the DUB. Minor detail I know, but I'm a sucker for details.

It will still be his 15 year old season though, not his 16 year old season, and thats what matters. Many players and people for that matter have birthdays between Janurary and June so I dont really understand your post...

takehisheadoff

Nov 2, 2009
Medicine Hat, AB
He was awesome I remember his first game too I was there it was against Edmonton they had all 3 of them on the Ice when he scored his first goal too. Max never got an assist on the goal but Griffin got burned for it on a 2 on 1. Although it was Sams 15 year old season technically. He was still on 14 when he suited up as the game was in October and he is a November birthday.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Bump.

Has 11+22 for 33 points in 12GP in the BCMML.
He played his third junior A game on Friday for Coquitlam vs. Chilliwack and recorded his first point, an assist.
He also won gold with Team BC at the WCCC, netting 3+5 in four games, was named to the tournament all-star team, and was captain of Team BC.

Still hasn't signed with Seattle and is now listed at 5'11'' 170.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Is there a way to know when he's going to be playing a BCHL game for the Coquitlam Express? He played Friday but not Saturday.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
any update on whether he's agreed to go to seattle...and if not any thoughts on whether he will agree?

if anyone thinks he won't report - do you know where he wants to go?

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
any update on whether he's agreed to go to seattle...and if not any thoughts on whether he will agree?

if anyone thinks he won't report - do you know where he wants to go?
Here's the latest I've found:
F Mathew Barzal, the first selection in the WHL’s 2012 bantam draft, says he has yet to make up his mind whether he will sign with the Seattle Thunderbirds or take the NCAA route.
"The WHL is a great league and that's where I hope to play," Barzal, who is from Coquitlam, B.C., told Kristen Odland of the Calgary Herald during the Western Canada U-16 Challenge Cup. "But right now, I'm still talking with my family and my agent about my decision.
"I know what I want to do and I think the WHL is the best route. But I want to look at every avenue possible."
Barzal is the captain of Team BC at the Challenge Cup.
He plays for the major midget Vancouver-North East Chiefs for whom he has 30 points, including 10 goals, in 11 games.
(We will assume that someone will tell Barzal that he doesn’t have an agent, but he does have a family advisor. Wink! Wink!!)
http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com/2012/11/not-even-broken-right-ankle-is-able-to.html

Sounds to me as if wants to play in the WHL but not for the Seattle organization, and I don't really blame him.
I prefer that top Canadian kids take the CHL route in almost every case, but if his rights aren't traded to a respectable organization, heading to the NCAA is smart.

I think college hockey is a very legitimate possibility with him, unlike some other kids that use it to manipulate their draft position.
He reportedly does very well in school and when you listen to him speak, read quotes from him, or even look at his Twitter, it's safe to assume those reports are correct.
If he does choose the NCAA route, I wouldn't be surprised to see him try to accelerate his schooling so that he can play as a 17 year old freshman during his draft year.
It's rare (off the top of my head, I can only think of Jonathan Toews and Dillon Simpson, but Zemgus Girgensons also tried and failed because he had the added hassle of completing his Latvian schoolwork too), but it'd help his draft stock and he certainly looks to have the talent required to do so.
As for where he'd go, I'm sure every top program is salivating at the thought of getting him (with the exception of the Gophers, of course).

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Barzal, 50 pts in 17 games, only player in league on a goal a game pace.

Next closest player has 37 pts in 20 games and is a year older.

Will he be a Vancouver Giant next year, with 15 yr old phenom Tyler Benson?

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Here's the latest I've found:

http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com/2012/11/not-even-broken-right-ankle-is-able-to.html

Sounds to me as if wants to play in the WHL but not for the Seattle organization, and I don't really blame him.
I prefer that top Canadian kids take the CHL route in almost every case, but if his rights aren't traded to a respectable organization, heading to the NCAA is smart.

I think college hockey is a very legitimate possibility with him, unlike some other kids that use it to manipulate their draft position.
He reportedly does very well in school and when you listen to him speak, read quotes from him, or even look at his Twitter, it's safe to assume those reports are correct.
If he does choose the NCAA route, I wouldn't be surprised to see him try to accelerate his schooling so that he can play as a 17 year old freshman during his draft year.
It's rare (off the top of my head, I can only think of Jonathan Toews and Dillon Simpson, but Zemgus Girgensons also tried and failed because he had the added hassle of completing his Latvian schoolwork too), but it'd help his draft stock and he certainly looks to have the talent required to do so.
As for where he'd go, I'm sure every top program is salivating at the thought of getting him (with the exception of the Gophers, of course).

I want to say Jim O'Brien was a 17-year-old freshman for the Gophers too.

J Murda

Oct 1, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
If this kid is coming down to the Mac's tournament this year, then I am really looking forward to seeing what he's got. Those numbers are huge for major midget.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Barzal, 50 pts in 17 games, only player in league on a goal a game pace.

Next closest player has 37 pts in 20 games and is a year older.

Will he be a Vancouver Giant next year, with 15 yr old phenom Tyler Benson?

Vancouver Giant as in WHL? Idk what you are referrin too if thats what you meant because Barzal's rights are held by the Seattle Thunderbirds.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
If this kid is coming down to the Mac's tournament this year, then I am really looking forward to seeing what he's got. Those numbers are huge for major midget.
He may be but I haven't seen a schedule yet.
The NE Chiefs were there last year though, so he may very well be.

The World Sport School Challenge will be in Calgary at about the same time, which means you could also see fellow top 97 Nathan Noel on the SSM prep team.

arsmaster*

Vancouver Giant as in WHL? Idk what you are referrin too if thats what you meant because Barzal's rights are held by the Seattle Thunderbirds.

I think that poster was suggesting Barzal is holding off from signing with Seattle to force his way into another more successful organization ie. the Giants.

Sort of like what mackinnon did to get to Halifax.

It would definitely make this horrible season worth it for Vancouver if they end up with benson and barzal.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
I think that poster was suggesting Barzal is holding off from signing with Seattle to force his way into another more successful organization ie. the Giants.

Sort of like what mackinnon did to get to Halifax.

It would definitely make this horrible season worth it for Vancouver if they end up with benson and barzal.

That is exactly what I am referring to....Barzal will be a Giant next year, mark my words!

They could also very well have the #1 pick in 2013, which will be phenom Tyler Benson out of Edmonton.

arsmaster*

That is exactly what I am referring to....Barzal will be a Giant next year, mark my words!

They could also very well have the #1 pick in 2013, which will be phenom Tyler Benson out of Edmonton.

I just can't see Seattle parting with barzal without Vancouver having to give up the 1st overall pick.

I know they also have edmonton's 1st as well.

Here's hoping though. The WHL always seems to do better when Vancouver is a top team.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

I really hope this doesn't happen I hate how smaller markets or clubs with a lesser pedrigree get the short end of the stick when it comes to top elite prospects.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I really hope this doesn't happen I hate how smaller markets or clubs with a lesser pedrigree get the short end of the stick when it comes to top elite prospects.
Seattle isn't really a small market though, they're just horribly managed.
I don't blame kids that refuse to report to organizations that are terrible and don't show signs of improvement.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

They could also very well have the #1 pick in 2013, which will be phenom Tyler Benson out of Edmonton

haha if Barzal goes to Vancouver, Seattle will definately get that high 2013 1st rounder in return among many more picks. There isn't a chance in hell Seattle gives up Barzal for anything but a GIGANTIC amount of picks and players in return.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Id love to see Barzal go to a team like Seattle though. Look at McDavid, he went to a crappy Erie Otters team and is lighting it up. Thats what great players do, make players around them better. Barzal would be the saviour of the T-Birds and will make Seattle a great team to play for. Seattle is rolling with 5 17 year old d-men and a 16 year old d man this year and those 17 year olds are playing great. I think Seattle has a good group of really young players and is PERFECT place for Barzal to play with and grow older with(although i'm sure Barzal will only play 2 or POSSIBLY 3 years in WHL because i'm sure he will be an extremely high NHL pick). But Barzal and Theodore on the powerplay next year will be deadly

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
if he was going to force a trade somewhere, then i'd think it would be to a better team than the giants.

The Giants have some good pieces and picks for the future, it's a lost year for them this year but it could be worse, as Don Hay is an excellent coach.

I could see the Giants having 10 plus more wins next year than this with the trades they have done so far and will do the rest of the way.

I haven't seen Barzal play from what I hear he is a top prospect and will be a welcome addition to the W in 13/14, if not sooner.

I caught a couple of shifts of Glenn Gawdin 5th overall to Swift Current on Friday night and while he was over whelmed with the pace, his skating skills and foot speed and size all look close to elite and he should be a very good player IMO.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
haha if Barzal goes to Vancouver, Seattle will definately get that high 2013 1st rounder in return among many more picks. There isn't a chance in hell Seattle gives up Barzal for anything but a GIGANTIC amount of picks and players in return.

They will give up some 1st rounders but it wont be the 1st overall pick in 2013. Probably more along the lines of EDM's 2013 first rounder and their own in 2014 and 2015.

The longer Seattle waits to trade Barzal, they will receive less. He will only be in the dub for 2 yrs, then onto the NHL, just like RNH.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
They will give up some 1st rounders but it wont be the 1st overall pick in 2013. Probably more along the lines of EDM's 2013 first rounder and their own in 2014 and 2015.

The longer Seattle waits to trade Barzal, they will receive less. He will only be in the dub for 2 yrs, then onto the NHL, just like RNH.

Then Giants won't get him. Barzal is a once in a decade type prospect... Seattle wont give him up cheap at all if they do trade him. They will make a team pay huge for him and someone will pay huge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad