C Mathew Barzal - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015, 16th, NYI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiamM

Dec 17, 2011
I heard hes averaging like 3 points per game in the pcbhl but I can't find anywhere that shows his stats. I can't even find the BWC roster that hes currently on. PCBHL doesn't have anything on their website and neither does BWC.

LiamM

Dec 17, 2011
Yeah its like impossible to find any stats on the PCBHL that league has their stuff locked down. Funny when so many good players have come from it.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Whoa Nelson! He's a '97 correct? Remember hearing how great he was at the Quebec Peewee Tournament. Here's hoping they have another All-Canada game this spring, so we get to see him on the same ice as McDavid.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Whoa Nelson! He's a '97 correct? Remember hearing how great he was at the Quebec Peewee Tournament. Here's hoping they have another All-Canada game this spring, so we get to see him on the same ice as McDavid.

McDavid, Barzal, Noel... 2015 looks to be interesting if these players keep on developing!!!

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Just reading from these boards but 2014 and 2015 look be amazing from an offensive perspective...
Reinhart, Ho Sang, Virtanen
McDavid, Barzal, Noel
The World Junior Team for these birth years will be stacked if these kids become what they're projected to be!!! :nod:

BCV Scout

Nov 1, 2010
BC
I guess McDavid and Barzal will have to fight over their jersey number then cause they both wear #97!

Oilers4life1987

Oct 20, 2010
C Mathew Barzal - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015 Draft)

Can he play in the WHL if so can he crack seatles team this year? Thoughts & opinions after seeing live today

Mason10

Bacon
Feb 11, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I don't think he can play this year, as he isn't 16 yet. But I think he can get called up and play 4-5(notsure) games max in the season. Once his season is over he may join Seattle in the playoffs(if they make it)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Nope, he can't play for Seattle this year. His WHL season will be capped at 5 games.

He was fantastic today. It was only the 2nd time I've actually seen but the reports from this season don't lie. Not as good as McDavid, but I'd say he's the second best in this age group right now for sure. In the future between the two? Hard to say.

Oilers4life1987

Oct 20, 2010
Ah okay thanks for the information but cud he have applied for exceptional status or is it just the OHL that allows that. It wud be sick to see Mcdavid n barzal in the CHL this year

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Ah okay thanks for the information but cud he have applied for exceptional status or is it just the OHL that allows that. It wud be sick to see Mcdavid n barzal in the CHL this year

The ohl is the only league that has seen any apply, and he would have had to apply long ago in order to be playing. However with the whl draft being in bantam and not midget I'm not sure how it could work in the whl, I'm assuming the 1st overall pick could apply to play a year early, but I'm not sure.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Barzal still hasnt signed with Seattle yet. Most of the 1st round bantam picks in his draft have all signed with their respective teams but Barzal still hasn't. Seattles first pick in 2011 Ryan Gropp(6th overall) still hasnt signed with Seattle either and is going to play Junior A in Penticton and the speculation is he will be playing NCAA(horrible mistake because he has a late birthday and could get 3 full years in WHL before he is eligable for NHL draft). But i guess some players just arent cut out for Major Junior. Hopefully Barzal will sign though so everyone forgets about the dissapointment of Gropp not playing in Seattle.

byeyimini

Sep 10, 2002
Visit site
I PVR'd the mentor-ship game on TSN, just had a chance to watch it. WOW, what a fun player to watch. I hope he signs and plays next season, it would really be a loss for the WHL if he doesn't.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Why won't players play in Seattle ?

When was the last time the Thunderbirds turned out a top forward? Please don't tell me you have to go back to 1997 with Marleau. The only NHL players from there are Marleau, Laich, Sarich, Thompson, and Osgood. The last top-pick was Thomas Hickey.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Thats a solid history, so why won't players play there ?

That's an awful history. When you look at other teams like Kelowna, Portland, Niagara, Windsor, London, etc, Seattle doesn't really have a history of developing good NHLers. The only top-end skater they've turned out in 15 years was Marleau 15 years ago.

Obviously I'm just speculating, but I believe that a lot of times the difference between a player choosing NCAA vs. CHL is the reputation for development for the CHL team with their rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad