C Mathew Barzal - Seattle Thunderbirds, WHL (2015, 16th, NYI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
That's an awful history. When you look at other teams like Kelowna, Portland, Niagara, Windsor, London, etc, Seattle doesn't really have a history of developing good NHLers. The only top-end skater they've turned out in 15 years was Marleau 15 years ago.

Obviously I'm just speculating, but I believe that a lot of times the difference between a player choosing NCAA vs. CHL is the reputation for development for the CHL team with their rights.
That's not a fair comparison....

You shouldn't be comparing a small market to a big one..

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
That's not a fair comparison....

You shouldn't be comparing a small market to a big one..

Of course it isn't fair. Try talking to Nashville and Phoenix about fair. But considering that Seattle doesn't have many note-worthy alum, it's not too far a leap to guess that they don't have a great developmental program. Barzal could be turned off by that. You can't really blame the kid for trying to do what's best for his development.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Of course it isn't fair. Try talking to Nashville and Phoenix about fair. But considering that Seattle doesn't have many note-worthy alum, it's not too far a leap to guess that they don't have a great developmental program. Barzal could be turned off by that. You can't really blame the kid for trying to do what's best for his development.

Could be a result of poor coaching staff ?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Russ Farwell is a cheap GM and Seattle has been a crappy WHL team for a long time. Portland was heading down the same route till they sold that team and changed it around. There is no reason why Seattle shouldn't be a powerhouse team like Portland or Tri-City, they should be able to attract top US players like Portland and Tri-City have been able to.

Too bad they have such a good dedicated fan base too.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Barzal still hasnt signed with Seattle yet. Most of the 1st round bantam picks in his draft have all signed with their respective teams but Barzal still hasn't. Seattles first pick in 2011 Ryan Gropp(6th overall) still hasnt signed with Seattle either and is going to play Junior A in Penticton and the speculation is he will be playing NCAA(horrible mistake because he has a late birthday and could get 3 full years in WHL before he is eligable for NHL draft). But i guess some players just arent cut out for Major Junior. Hopefully Barzal will sign though so everyone forgets about the dissapointment of Gropp not playing in Seattle.
I actually hope that Barzal goes the NCAA route.
I usually want all of the top Canadian kids to go the CHL route, but I have zero faith in Seattle and don't know if they'd develop him properly.
Of course becoming better starts with better players reporting, but the organization just seems to have no clue.

I haven't seen any confirmation of Barzal wanting to go the NCAA route, only rumblings, but the Coquitlam Express want him:
The club has already hosted two tryout camps, for prospects and bantam-aged players. Calvano said he's made sure that the Western Hockey League's No. 1 overall bantam draft pick, Mathew Barzal, a Coquitlam native, is aware of the club's program.

"I coached Mathew since he was nine years old so I'm hopeful that he'll give us a lot of consideration," noted Calvano.
http://www.thenownews.com/sports/Coquitlam+coach+revs+recruitment+drive/6628562/story.html

There's also this video from last December that states that he still wasn't sure what route he was going to take.

..and this was in the BC Minor Hockey Player of the Year release:
Off-the-ice, Mathew is enrolled in French Immersion at Dr. Charles Best Secondary (Coquitlam) and has a strong Grade 9 report card, including a 94 per cent final grade in Math. Barzal is fluent in French and often tutors younger students.
http://hockeynow.ca/regions/1-bc-ed...arkins-first-co-winners-since-rielly-reinhart

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Russ Farwell is a cheap GM and Seattle has been a crappy WHL team for a long time. Portland was heading down the same route till they sold that team and changed it around. There is no reason why Seattle shouldn't be a powerhouse team like Portland or Tri-City, they should be able to attract top US players like Portland and Tri-City have been able to.

Too bad they have such a good dedicated fan base too.

My thoughts precisely. I'm aware of the situation because as a Sharks fan, and I've seen plenty of quotes from Marleau about what great fan support they had in Seattle in juniors. I want to see the Birds succeed.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
If Barzal wants to play in the WHL but not for Seattle, how does the process work in that league? Does he demand a trade? Say he's not showing up for camp. By way of comparison when Domi wouldn't go to kingston and wanted london, the teams agreed on the trade, he didn't show up for camp, and then they announced the trade. For MacKinnon re the Q, iirc, they just traded him over the summer.

How does it work in the Dub...and should we expect something like this from Barzal?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
If Barzal wants to play in the WHL but not for Seattle, how does the process work in that league? Does he demand a trade? Say he's not showing up for camp. By way of comparison when Domi wouldn't go to kingston and wanted london, the teams agreed on the trade, he didn't show up for camp, and then they announced the trade. For MacKinnon re the Q, iirc, they just traded him over the summer.

How does it work in the Dub...and should we expect something like this from Barzal?

It just doesn't happen much in the WHL and there is rarely a trade. The only recent trade I can think of is Seth Jones. Guys like Toews,Gropp and Moffat who were high picks ended up going the college route. Brayden Schenn wanted a trade to Kelowna and told Brandon he wasn't going to report. Kelly McCrimmon told him to sit at home because he wasn't trading him. He ended up reporting after.

I think Barzal may report though next year. They actually have alot of high end young talent already there with Hauf,Theordore,Green,Hickman and Troock. Gropp may not be coming this year but I think if they can turn it around this season and show something he might end up joining up with Barzal next year. Nothing like playing with a top end guy like that to up your draft stock right?

Too bad Farwell was a moron and kept Calvin Pickard at the trade deadline they could have gotten even more pieces for a real powerhouse

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
It just doesn't happen much in the WHL and there is rarely a trade. The only recent trade I can think of is Seth Jones. Guys like Toews,Gropp and Moffat who were high picks ended up going the college route. Brayden Schenn wanted a trade to Kelowna and told Brandon he wasn't going to report. Kelly McCrimmon told him to sit at home because he wasn't trading him. He ended up reporting after.

I think Barzal may report though next year. They actually have alot of high end young talent already there with Hauf,Theordore,Green,Hickman and Troock. Gropp may not be coming this year but I think if they can turn it around this season and show something he might end up joining up with Barzal next year. Nothing like playing with a top end guy like that to up your draft stock right?

Too bad Farwell was a moron and kept Calvin Pickard at the trade deadline they could have gotten even more pieces for a real powerhouse
I feel bad for Calvin... He earned a shot at the Mem cup, he faced so much rubber ?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Barzal is a talented enough kid to turn around a franchise. He's that good, in my opinion.

Sure Seattle hasn't developed much in the last few years but sometimes it just takes a special player to turn that around and change the face of a franchise. He has the chance to do that and it will be amazing for the league if he does.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Barzal is a talented enough kid to turn around a franchise. He's that good, in my opinion.

Sure Seattle hasn't developed much in the last few years but sometimes it just takes a special player to turn that around and change the face of a franchise. He has the chance to do that and it will be amazing for the league if he does.
Something Nate M should of done in Baie-Comeau...

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Something Nate M should of done in Baie-Comeau...

I don't remember all the reasons he didn't want to go, haven't thought about it for a long time. But that worked out for Baie Comeau, obviously Mackinnon would have been great for them but they did ok, and it benefited Mackinnon a great deal to adjust to the junior life and playing by being comfortable in his home.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I don't remember all the reasons he didn't want to go, haven't thought about it for a long time. But that worked out for Baie Comeau, obviously Mackinnon would have been great for them but they did ok, and it benefited Mackinnon a great deal to adjust to the junior life and playing by being comfortable in his home.
One of the few cases that it worked out for both teams.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

Exactly my thoughts!!!... Seattle is on the Cusp of turning things around... they had a young team last year and the youth looked pretty good. They just signed their other 1st rounder from this past WHL draft and also their 2nd rounder. I have seen both players play and they are both HUGE assets to the team for years to come. If Barzal signs, he will be known as the main piece that started this process of Seattle competing once again.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Seattle also has a potential first rounder in the 2013 draft Shea Theodore. Him and Barzal on the powerplay will be completely deadly. I am a huge WHL fan and really think losing Barzal to NCAA will be a huge loss for the league. If you are reading this Barzal, sign in Seattle!!!!!hahaha

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Oh ya thats right... i remember hearing about this guy. I hear he is pretty good. I really do think Seattle could be on the right path to being good in a couple years!!

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Never, don't know why you would bring it up.

Just think it would be cool. Barzal goes to a storied franchise known for developing solid NHL'ers. Don't have any idea how they'd swing it, but it would be deliciously delightful and we'd get to see him go head-to-head with McDavid regularly.

I know this is never going to happen. Just wishing out loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad