C Marco Kasper (2022, 8th, DET)

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
Hank never had Kasper’s wheels

Don’t want to get too off-topic, but young Zetterberg was pretty damn fast. He got much better at leveraging his size down low as he got older, stronger, and especially after he lost a step post-injuries. But he had great foot speed early in his career.

Reactions: LarKing

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Its nice seeing the wings in the position they are this season, but also knowing theres still 3 top 10 picks on the way, and another fairly high one in Sandin Pelikka. Some other teams in the same range in the standings have absolutely nothing on the way for them

Even nicer seeing both Cossa and Augustine having great seasons.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Solid playoff performance for Kasper. Very interested to see where he starts next season, back in the A with Grand Rapids or depth role for Detroit in the league.

Probably starts in the AHL and gets worked in games to fill in for any forwards injury or underperforming/healthy scratches.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Solid playoff performance for Kasper. Very interested to see where he starts next season, back in the A with Grand Rapids or depth role for Detroit in the league.
Unlikely, Yzerman has staded before that they want these kids to play meaningful minutes in the NHL, not just play. I believe he starts in GR and after Fabbri is gone during/after next season, then Kasper gets called up. Same for Danielson, if Daddy Perron is re-signed, they call up Danielson when he is gone.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
It's far too difficult to project the roster spots at this point. Yzerman could trade multiple roster players and prospects for all we know.
For example I could see Veleno being moved to make room for a Kasper or Danielson.
Not really, his MO is quite clear, sign warm bodies until the kids are ready. Every camp there has been NHL vets compiting from the same spots with the kids. Everyone thought Edvinsson will be in opening day roster but then Yzerman signs Holl and Ghost and a bit later trades for Petry. I don't see him changing his MO that instantly.

But trades are possible, especially they can't re-sign Kane. UFA markets could go empty fast and he is looking to improve the team but making room for the kids before the camp seems very un-yzerman like. And didn't it Lalonde say in the after the season press conference that he asked kids to get called up but Yzerman "pumped the brakes" on that one.

Since meaningful minutes matter to Yzerman, Veleno plays exact opposite. No PP & PK role and 3rd easiest match ups from the regulars this season, only Fabbri & Sprong(and Czarnik) behind him. Fabbri and Sprong at least had PP role. So moving Veleno doesn't really open up a spot for Kasper.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Since meaningful minutes matter to Yzerman, Veleno plays exact opposite. No PP & PK role and 3rd easiest match ups from the regulars this season, only Fabbri & Sprong(and Czarnik) behind him. Fabbri and Sprong at least had PP role. So moving Veleno doesn't really open up a spot for Kasper.
It's not possible to bring up every rookie to play top 6 and special teams right off the bat, especially not as the team improves.

What Yzerman wants to avoid is someone getting 8 minutes per game or going in and out of the lineup. But if Kasper gets ~14 minutes per game as a regular, that's not bad at all for a rookie.

There will be some kids forced into the lineup just for cap or waiver reasons, so what Yzerman did when he had unlimited cap space and the goal was a bottom 10 finish isn't as meaningful going into this offseason.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
It's not possible to bring up every rookie to play top 6 and special teams right off the bat, especially not as the team improves.

What Yzerman wants to avoid is someone getting 8 minutes per game or going in and out of the lineup. But if Kasper gets ~14 minutes per game as a regular, that's not bad at all for a rookie.

There will be some kids forced into the lineup just for cap or waiver reasons, so what Yzerman did when he had unlimited cap space and the goal was a bottom 10 finish isn't as meaningful going into this offseason.
No and they certainly ain't doing that but what i see, is that they are changing warm bodies to kids one by one. Sprong and/or Perron out, Berggren in. Ghost out, Ed in. After next season Fabbri out, Kasper in. Yzerman takes full advantage of the waiver exempt's.

This offseason will be a carbon copy of 2 previous offseasons, nothing will change. There will be veterans in the roster and Kasper and Danielson start in GR. Ed, Berggren and AlJo will be the new kids on the roster, unless the latter two gets traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad