C Marco Kasper (2022, 8th, DET)

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Played 14:54, no points, E +/-, centered the 2nd line for a majority of the time in a win in Toronto. Did not look out of place, especially for an 18 year old that just came over to the states from Europe within the last week
Obviously he needs more “core strength” but that will come, as he already has become stronger the last year. Meaning, he can put on the muscle. Some players can’t because of their slender build but his core strength is already better. Most kids see it around 20. The. Players like Dennis Cholowski can train as much as they want and it never comes. A very big possibility with one of the Russian dmen in this year’s draft coming up, btw.

He got knocked around a little bit. Couple Leafs took shots at him but nothing too bad. He’s feisty. No doubt about that. See a lot of Ericsson-Ek in him. We shall see over the next 2-3 years how he evolves.

Good chance he plays in the NHL next year though. If he has a good summer with his strength, he’s gonna have that opportunity.

Gonna wager last week at this time, taking the opening face off in Toronto, against John Tavares, wasn’t in his thoughts.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
Obviously he needs more “core strength” but that will come, as he already has become stronger the last year. Meaning, he can put on the muscle. Some players can’t because of their slender build but his core strength is already better. Most kids see it around 20. The. Players like Dennis Cholowski can train as much as they want and it never comes. A very big possibility with one of the Russian dmen in this year’s draft coming up, btw.

He got knocked around a little bit. Couple Leafs took shots at him but nothing too bad. He’s feisty. No doubt about that. See a lot of Ericsson-Ek in him. We shall see over the next 2-3 years how he evolves.

Good chance he plays in the NHL next year though. If he has a good summer with his strength, he’s gonna have that opportunity.

Gonna wager last week at this time, taking the opening face off in Toronto, against John Tavares, wasn’t in his thoughts.
I mean, he held his own as an 18 year old center in his first NHL game against the best line in hockey. Very very good chance he’s in Detroit next year.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Through 10 games with Grand Rapids in the AHL, 1 Goal, 0 Assists, -4. Would they consider loaning him to a junior team?

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Through 10 games with Grand Rapids in the AHL, 1 Goal, 0 Assists, -4. Would they consider loaning him to a junior team?
What's the point in that? Kasper has played pro hockey since 2021, loan to the junior leagues doesn't make any sense. Is that even possible anymore? Anyway, Kasper missed his summer training because of a injury. This is what he needs, tough games and adjusting to NA pro league. Kasper will be fine, people are just so impatient.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
What's the point in that? Kasper has played pro hockey since 2021, loan to the junior leagues doesn't make any sense. Is that even possible anymore?
I think that’s what happened with Brad Lambert last season. I think there’s some consideration (although I don’t know the exact cba specifics) where if you send a player to juniors before the halfway mark (essentially world juniors then loaned to a CHL team following that) it takes one extra year for them to become UFA eligible.

Lambert played Liga in ‘21 and ‘22. Spent the first half of 2022-23 playing in the AHL in a depth role adjusting to NA ice and then played for Finland in the world juniors and spent the latter half of the year with the Seattle Thunderbirds in the WHL to help them in their WHL championship run. Seemed to work well for him as he is thriving with the Manitoba Moose in a scoring role in his age 20 season now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Starry Knight

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
I think that’s what happened with Brad Lambert last season. I think there’s some consideration (although I don’t know the exact cba specifics) where if you send a player to juniors before the halfway mark (essentially world juniors then loaned to a CHL team following that) it takes one extra year for them to become UFA eligible.

Lambert played Liga in ‘21 and ‘22. Spent the first half of 2022-23 playing in the AHL in a depth role adjusting to NA ice and then played for Finland in the world juniors and spent the latter half of the year with the Seattle Thunderbirds in the WHL to help them in their WHL championship run. Seemed to work well for him as he is thriving with the Manitoba Moose in a scoring role in his age 20 season now.
Unfortunately not a possibility for Kasper. Ottawa 67's held his rights. They currently have 2 imports on their team. He wasn't redrafted by anyone and he can't go into the CHL as a FA (as far as I know for europeans).

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Unfortunately not a possibility for Kasper. Ottawa 67's held his rights. They currently have 2 imports on their team. He wasn't redrafted by anyone and he can't go into the CHL as a FA (as far as I know for europeans).
Can't they trade him?

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing

Difference is that Lambert was struggling in Liiga and in U20 WJC, where Kasper was thriving in SHL and a huge role Austria's mens national team. Kasper missed valuable training time during the summer, junior leagues would not do any good for him.

Reactions: lanky

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
For those who have watched him in Grand Rapids this year is there any reason why he isn’t producing? Is he not getting any PP time? No chemistry with linemates?

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Weird pick, seemed like a high floor low ceiling type which isnt what you want a top 10 pick to be. This is where the home run, boom type of players should be gambled on imo.

Mintyukov went 11th..big yikes.

I see Kasper being a 3rd liner with the ability to jump into the top 6 if needed for a short amount of time. Grind game is more suited for playoff style hockey for sure but these are dime a dozen players and certainly dont need to use high draft asset on.

Best Case Scenario Comparison: Ivan Barbashev

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Weird pick, seemed like a high floor low ceiling type which isnt what you want a top 10 pick to be. This is where the home run, boom type of players should be gambled on imo.

Mintyukov went 11th..big yikes.

I see Kasper being a 3rd liner with the ability to jump into the top 6 if needed for a short amount of time. Grind game is more suited for playoff style hockey for sure but these are dime a dozen players and certainly dont need to use high draft asset on.

Best Case Scenario Comparison: Ivan Barbashev
His best case scenario is not Barbashev lol what a dumb statement

Reactions: FromChaos22

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
For those who have watched him in Grand Rapids this year is there any reason why he isn’t producing? Is he not getting any PP time? No chemistry with linemates?

I only watched one game and it was in person. There wasn't anything that looked bad about him. He just wasn't wheeling around the ice with the puck like he was in the SHL. Definitley looked like a player who is capable of performing that same way in the AHL. To early to be worried, kids adjusting and coming off an injury. Let's see what happens as the season goes on.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
The whole team stinks right now. They generate 0 offensive pressure most nights. It's honestly not on him. This roster should be better than they are but there is just no flow to their game.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The whole team stinks right now. They generate 0 offensive pressure most nights. It's honestly not on him. This roster should be better than they are but there is just no flow to their game.

You would still like to see more production for where he was drafted for sure, but the context is important. He missed the entire offseason training with a broken knee cap, hes new to north american ice, the whole team has a new coach, the whole team is struggling, hes not just an offensive player, and his offence has been good enough that if you add a couple more assists to his stat line, no one probably says anything.

I would still rather see more production and he definitely has something to prove the rest of the season, but givenhow well he produced last season in the SHL and the fact that offence isnt his only good part of his game, he has earned the benefit of the doubt for a bit. His offence is coming on too

Reactions: raymond23

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
You would still like to see more production for where he was drafted for sure, but the context is important. He missed the entire offseason training with a broken knee cap, hes new to north american ice, the whole team has a new coach, the whole team is struggling, hes not just an offensive player, and his offence has been good enough that if you add a couple more assists to his stat line, no one probably says anything.

I would still rather see more production and he definitely has something to prove the rest of the season, but givenhow well he produced last season in the SHL and the fact that offence isnt his only good part of his game, he has earned the benefit of the doubt for a bit. His offence is coming on too
I am expecting more production from him too given his play in the SHL. And I think he'd be producing more if the team didn't look lost most of the time. I was hoping he'd put up 35ish points this season. He's not an offensive play driver so that's on the vets that he plays with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad