C/LW Anton Lundell - IFK Helsinki, Liiga (2020 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Floor 3c with good instincts on both ends?

Ceiling a few 60 - 70 pt and maybe a couple of selke nominated seasons in the right situation?

Reactions: 57special

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
yup. And he seems like the type of player that will be ready for the NHL sooner rather than later. I mean, it would be a drag to draft the next Pavel Zacha at #9, but there is always a risk.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
If he becomes anything like Andersson i would be extremely disappointed. Wasn´t he also the crybaby who threw away his medal after losing a junior game?
Yes, but that was looked at as “intensity” and “competitiveness” by the more optimistic among us at the time.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
If he becomes anything like Andersson i would be extremely disappointed. Wasn´t he also the crybaby who threw away his medal after losing a junior game?
From what I've seen, he seems like a very stoic character. A lot like other finnish players like Barkov, Koivu, Teräväinen, Heiskanen etc. You won't get much emotion out of them. I wouldn't worry about any temper tantrums.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Andersson is a natural center.

This was lauded as the best part of Andersson's game. The profiles are very similar. The main difference is that Lundell is taller by a few inches.
People can correct me if I’m wrong, but I always viewed Andersson as a natural wing, & I know he’s played a lot of wing.

And Lundell had superior success if you compare them by age.

At 17, for instance, Andersson split time b/w jr & the SHL. In the SHL, 0 pts in 22 games.

Lundell at 17, full season in Liiga, 19 pts in 38 games.

Reactions: teddygmr and MNRube

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
People can correct me if I’m wrong, but I always viewed Andersson as a natural wing, & I know he’s played a lot of wing.

At 17, for instance, Andersson split time b/w jr & the SHL. In the SHL, 0 pts in 22 games.

Andersson was drafted as a center. Projected by nearly everyone as a center. Only after he couldn't hack it at center has there been widespread suggestions that he could instead play wing.

And the difference between Liiga/SHL explains how Lundell can score 19 points in 38 games in his 17 year old season as a late birthday. He wouldn't be able to do that in SHL, which is a superior league. Late birthdays are also judged mostly on their 18 year old seasons for where they get drafted.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

The SHL is a much more difficult league for young players to break into and be successful in. Comparing SHL production to Liiga production is silly.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This was lauded as the best part of Andersson's game. The profiles are very similar. The main difference is that Lundell is taller by a few inches.
The best part of Andersson's game because he wasn't really good at anything, that's quite different from Lundell for whom hockey IQ's been quite a clear strength.

Also I could have sworn that Andersson's leadership abilities and "character" were considered his greatest strength and the driving force behind NYR's decision to draft him but it's not like I pay a ton of attention to Swedish prospects.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo

Lias Andersson at eliteprospects.com

What's even the point of bringing up Andersson's draft -1 year, when he had such a huge jump in production during draft year? 19 points in 42 SHL games is pretty f***ing good for a teenager.

It's apples to oranges anyways. It's pretty clear you're not gonna predict anything just from the point totals alone.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The best part of Andersson's game because he wasn't really good at anything, that's quite different from Lundell for whom hockey IQ's been quite a clear strength.

Also I could have sworn that Andersson's leadership abilities and "character" were considered his greatest strength and the driving force behind NYR's decision to draft him but it's not like I pay a ton of attention to Swedish prospects.

I'm talking about on-ice parts of his game, so leadership and character don't factor in.

I also find it funny how you are saying that Andersson wasn't actually good, so they had to laud him, but you are sure that hockey IQ is a clear strength for Lundell and not a fake strength, like it was for Andersson. Don't you think that it was considered a real strength for Andersson back then? Otherwise, he wouldn't have went where he did.

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
Shl and liiga has almost identical NHLe numbers so comparing them Lundell is vastly superor to Andersson as a prospect.

I think you are using old NHLe values. Liiga has deteriorated quite a bit with regards to the SHL in recent years.

In the tweet below you can see more recent conversion numbers between Liiga and the SHL.

Using those values it can be seen that league-adjusted Lias scored a bit more than Lundell.

Reactions: Daximus

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think you are using old NHLe values. Liiga has deteriorated quite a bit with regards to the SHL in recent years.

In the tweet below you can see more recent conversion numbers between Liiga and the SHL.

Using those values it can be seen that league-adjusted Lias scored a bit more than Lundell.

That's a bit different from NHLe factors.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu

Does this mean that 0,63 PPG player in SHL would score 1,59 PPG in Liiga?

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
Does this mean that 0,63 PPG player in SHL would score 1,59 PPG in Liiga?

Sorry I guess I should have translated parts of the tweet.

It means that the production in points / GP should be multiplied by 0.63 if a player goes from Liiga to the SHL, and by 1.59 if a player goes from SHL to Liiga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad