C John Tavares (2009, 1st overall, NYI) III & IV

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Now that his point total predictions are out of the way, anyone care to comment on whether they think he's got the ability to lead his team deep in the playoffs?

I'm pretty sure most, if not all, Islander fans would take an 80-point Tavares with an all-round game suited to the playoffs (ie. Richards, Toews, etc.) over a 110-point Tavares who does his best work on the fantasy sheets, and is a non-factor come playoff time (hello, Joe Thornton).

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
I'm convinced that Tavares will never be a true center. His overall game really took a giant leap forward towards the end of the season but he was clearly struggling in the d zone. He wasn't acting instinctively and had to think about everything which made him much slower to react than anyone on the ice. I think ultimately Tavares will be either moved out of the center position or continue to play in a hybrid role like he did last year where he is taking faceoffs but essentially a wing (presumably to keep him happy).

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I think he's got the most star power out of all the high draft picks going back to Stamkos. I like him even more than Duchene despite being an Avs fan and Duchene looking like the more dynamic player last season. Isles need some star power for Tavares to benefit from.

He had that slump midway I think through last season but finished strong so even for this season, he can hit 70+ pts and keep improving.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Now that his point total predictions are out of the way, anyone care to comment on whether they think he's got the ability to lead his team deep in the playoffs?

I already did.

I think the chances of JT winning the Conn Smythe someday exceed his chances of scoring 60.

It's not a very bold prediction, of course. But I'm more confident in Tavares' focus and competitiveness than I am in the ability of the islanders organization to put a great team around him.

Also, if Tavares really starts scoring a lot of goals, I think he'll see tighter individual coverage, and will adjust by setting up his teammates. We've seen it already. He's not a pure sniper. That's why, I believe, his game translates to the playoffs. You can't take away all of his weapons. He's not explosive enough that he'll score with lots of extra attention. But he's far too intelligent not to adjust.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Barzilla

Sep 16, 2009
Dirty O
Tavares might be the most overrated player on this forum. Guy is slow as a turtle, he's looking at a ok career, nothing HoF worthy.

Whos your favorite team? **** you troll. Youre the most obnoxious poster on this site. Your own fanbase prob cant stand you.

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
I think JT is going to have a similar career to that of Dany Heatley.

JT has had the benefit of better line mates and better teams. I think JT will be a better/more valuable player to his teams as he brings more. Dany is about the best complimentary player this league has to offer, on his own he wouldn't be a 50g scorer. More 30-35g, I think JT can do more with less because he creates as well.

I expect, in his prime, he will be a 40-45g scorer and a 40-50 assists. I don't think he's going to be a league leader in points but he'll be up there in goals a few times. I think his speed will limit him to an extent, he won't have the explosive break away speed which adds 5-10 goals a year when you look at guys like Ovechkin, Sid, etc..

Briere Up There*

He could get 120 points. If Joe Thornton can get that, who says Johnny T cant?

Leaguewide scoring numbers say he can't.

I fully expect a season of at least 75 points from Tavares. Anything else will be a disappointment.

Jimmy Carter

Avs/Leafs fan
Jul 24, 2010
Western NY
I can't predict what he'll be scoring.

But I think it's safe to say he will be an asset to Team Canada in Sochi and thereafter for a long, long time.

Ugh, I am not looking forward to those olympics. Duchene, Tavares, Stamkos all probably hitting or in their prime... and that's just the centers. Wouldn't be surprised to see Canada destroy just about everyone. This is bad news because I am American haha

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Ugh, I am not looking forward to those olympics. Duchene, Tavares, Stamkos all probably hitting or in their prime... and that's just the centers. Wouldn't be surprised to see Canada destroy just about everyone. This is bad news because I am American haha

There'll be a log jam cuz don't forget Toews and Crosby will also be there.

On D they'll have Keith, Doughty, Myers, etc.

Holy **** batman.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Tavares might be the most overrated player on this forum. Guy is slow as a turtle, he's looking at a ok career, nothing HoF worthy.

What a great argument!:sarcasm:

Now can someone explain to me what is the obsession with speed? That's seems to be for a lot of posters here the most important aspect for a hockey player. Pat Burns once give to Russ Courtnall the nickname of "Le chevreuil" (The Deer), meaning by that, that the guy is fast but have a Hockey IQ of a twit.

That is not the problem of John Tavares. I'm pretty sure he'll be a very good player in the NHL and he definitely has the talent and the hockey sens to be a star.

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Hall on the left Eberle on the right, you got me pumped.:D

Just thinking about this, Eberle and Tavares would be perfect linemates for each other. They both aren't that fast but are extremely smart. Tavares is more of playmaker while Eberle is a goal scorer, just a thought haha.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Just thinking about this, Eberle and Tavares would be perfect linemates for each other. They both aren't that fast but are extremely smart. Tavares is more of playmaker while Eberle is a goal scorer, just a thought haha.

Sounds good, I think Eberle should request a trade to the Isles :sarcasm:

I really would not put a cap on Tavares, in a few years he could be up there with Crosby and Ovechkin, I have never seen a player as smart as Tavares is in the offensive zone. I would say next year I am expecting 41G and 42A for 83 points.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Good at scoring goals. Not so much good at anything else.

If the Islanders keep tanking tremendously he will soon have 3-4 other 1st overall picks around him, and in that environment I guess the sky is the limit.

I do not however think that he have it in him to himself lead a team in the NHL anywhere.

Doug Height

Okposwag
Feb 17, 2008
LI

If the Islanders keep tanking tremendously he will soon have 3-4 other 1st overall picks around him, and in that environment I guess the sky is the limit.

I do not however think that he have it in him to himself lead a team in the NHL anywhere.

He may end up being a better playmaker then goal scorer, and showed that his rookie year.

Last edited by a moderator:

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com

The Islanders tanked? That's news to me.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

isles were tanking? then they were clearly doing it wrong...

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Sweden will have Larsson which means they automatically win the Gold according to hfboards.

Anyways, Tavares' production will depend largely on his skating improvements and how Okposo/Nino develop. By himself I'd peg him at about 85 points, with help he'll be 100+

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad