C John Tavares (2009, 1st overall, NYI) III & IV

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
one thing I am not sure you know about JT is he is a very determined young man. He knows his weaknesses, his first year he just sat in the weeds and took everything in. i do recall a ton of chances he set up only to have guys whiff or basically not expect to get the puck. JT's playmaking skills are almost elite IMO as well.

I see Joe Sakic numbers one day. Sniper/playmaker mix with a ton of determination. Joe was not the greatest skater as well IMO. Used his edges like an art form to which hopefully JT can master. If so, guys like Okposo, el Nino, Moulsen, comeau, Bailey, Schremp, Kabanov and co better learn to be finishers or the Isles will bring in hired guns to play with JT. Very underrated in this department I feel and was quite shocked it was this good

the folks who studied his game in junior, did he set up plays all game or just pounced on chances and buried them, because JT was a magician just about all year with limited help

good thread

What...?:help::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::help:

vein

Mar 20, 2006
Holy Roman Empire
I think Tavares will be better than Thornton.

It's kinda ridiculous how timid people are with their projections on this board. I've seen people say Paajarvi will top out at 60 points. And that Tavares will be an 80 point player for his career?? People have no idea what they're talking about here.
so tell us your projections.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
so tell us your projections.

In a few short years he'll be in with guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, and Malkin (sans last year), that are just expected to get 100 points. Him and Stamkos both will be at that level.

With good goal scorers with him I can see him getting 120+ in a good year.

And like Stamkos (obviously) he has 60+ goal potential.

member 30781

In a few short years he'll be in with guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, and Malkin (sans last year), that are just expected to get 100 points. Him and Stamkos both will be at that level.

With good goal scorers with him I can see him getting 120+ in a good year.

And like Stamkos (obviously) he has 60+ goal potential.

I like tavares too but that's a pretty tall order. I hope he reaches that though since I have been following him since his days in oshawa.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
I think he will score around 50 for his best season. I know there are a few knocks on his game, but i mean the kid has all the tools he needs and really just needs to work on his skating ability. Once he becomes a better skater I think the skys the limit.

Hipster Doofus

Sep 1, 2006
50+ goals 60+ assists are about where his ceiling is. His hockey sense and vision is superb, doesn't even need to look for half his passes. If he can get stronger on the puck and maybe just a bit faster he could be a dominant force down low with his quick hands and coordination and a threat from the perimeter with his passing.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I think Tavares will be better than Thornton.

It's kinda ridiculous how timid people are with their projections on this board. I've seen people say Paajarvi will top out at 60 points. And that Tavares will be an 80 point player for his career?? People have no idea what they're talking about here.

Maybe you should look at how many players have scored more than 80 points since the lockout, then you would understand why some are hesitant to label everyone the next 80+ point getter.

If life went the HFBoards way, then in 10 years we would have a full league of 80+ point players. Every year people predict at least 10-15 players from each draft class to definitely break 80 points or even 90 or 100.

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
bit high on career i think

i dont think so, say he plays 82 games per season 15 seasons, over 1200 gp...surely he wont play full 82 games every season but he will for sure play 15 years in nhl with over 1000gp i can see him reaching 1300+ points for career.

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
i dont think so, say he plays 82 games per season 15 seasons, over 1200 gp...surely he wont play full 82 games every season but he will for sure play 15 years in nhl with over 1000gp i can see him reaching 1300+ points for career.
Whoa people need to ratchet down their predictions a bit. 1300 points over 1000 games? That's an average of 106.6 pts/82. How many players have done that since the lockout?

Ovie in 5 seasons has averaged 109.5 pts/82 games played. Crosby in 4 seasons has averaged 111.9 pts/82. I think it's a big stretch to hope that Tavares comes even close to that AVERAGED over his career. Consider too that Ovie plays with the best PP quaterback in the league and Crosby has played with the 2nd best along with Malkin. Tavares doesn't have that kind of supporting cast and might not for a couple years.

Edit: Also only 32 players have reached the 1300 point mark in their careers. Of the current generation I see only Ovie and Crosby reaching that point.

Last edited:

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
I think 100 pts is a really loft expectations for almost anyone. And show me where one Oiler fan said that Tavares doesnt have the potential to hit 100? All we said is people are putting him in the tier of Crosby and Ovie is alot of to expect
Exactly. I'm not pissing on him. I just think 1300 points is an unreasonable expectation for Tavares. He'll still in all likelihood be a very productive player throughout his career.

He might reach 100 points but I don't see him averaging 100 pts/season over his career.

GCM

Stork
Jun 22, 2010
I can't predict what he'll be scoring.

But I think it's safe to say he will be an asset to Team Canada in Sochi and thereafter for a long, long time.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I do not think Tavares will be better then Stamkos. HOWEVER, I do think he will be a consistant 90 point player which is nothing to over look. He will be a top 5 player in the league.

I feel like the skating issue is a little over blown as well. It may not be the best in the world and could use improvement but doesnt hinder his game that much.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Sure is nice to have the hockey community with such high praise of an Islander; but from seeing JT play over the course of a season and watching him closely, I don't think he'll overcome his skating deficiencies enough to be a consistent 100-pt producer, let alone flirt with 120 pts.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

I think you're underestimating his vision and passing ability. In my opinion, he's a better passer than he is sniper. (and I'm far from being on the JT hype wagon).

Agreed with that.

OK Okposo

Jun 29, 2010
Halifax
I would be happy with 90 points per season. In fact I'd be thrilled. Regardless of the points JT puts up, it will be his supporting cast that makes the difference.

Parise09*

I think you're underestimating his vision and passing ability. In my opinion, he's a better passer than he is sniper. (and I'm far from being on the JT hype wagon).

But think about it...how many players hit 95+ points on a year to year basis. Scoring 85-95 is GREAT!

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
I think a few 100 point seasons in Tavares's career are certainly a possibility and I expect him to put up similar numbers to Dany Heatley (50G, 100Pts) and if the stars align maybe flirt with 60 goals. However I wouldn't consider 1300 points in 1000 career games likely though (as another poster pointed out a 106.6 pts/season) I could see him averaging 80-85pts/season over his career.

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI
It's not OUT OF THIS WORLD to say Tavares can get 1300 points. All he has to do is play until his early 40s and put up slightly better numbers than Doug Weight.

Of course we are talking about a 19 year old. With his whole entire career ahead of him, you can say that about every player picked 1st overall.

startainfection*

Let's take Matt Duchene and John Tavares to the Island of Dr. Moreau and get them combined.

if tavares had duchene's skating he would of had 100 points his rookie season and would be in the class of ovechkin and crosby

oh, if only he was an explosive skater

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
If Tavares plays 1200+ games 1300 points is more reasonable (although still an ambitious prediction in my mind.)

Again I'm not pissing on him and I would agree with some of the other posts that he could be a consistent 85-95 point player. There just aren't that many year in, year out 100 point players, and usually they smack you in the face with it like Crosby and Ovechkin. So far Tavares doesn't have that same domination those two do.

In the end only time will tell and the OP asked for opinions so I gave mine. If you don't agree with it feel free to debate with me. Don't call me *****y or take potshots about Hall insecurity in Oilersville.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Tavares will perenially be a 90 point player with a few (4 or so) 100 point seasons topping out at 109 points with his best goal scoring campaign having 58 goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad