C John Tavares (2009, 1st overall, NYI) III & IV

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
About his skating, if you watched all 82 games he played last season, skating is clearly his weak point. But it's not holding him back whatsoever. The way he plays the game doesn't require speed, it requires agility. In other words, how quick he is, not how fast.

Last edited:

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Um, they were the 5th worst team, I'd say they did it right.

They just generally sucked, they didn't have to tank.

Say the Red Wings really wanted Larsson, because they want him to take over the Red Wings defense after Lidstrom goes down. Holland would tell Babcock to purposely lose games in order to get the 1st overall pick and select Larsson. THAT'S tanking. A good team purposely losing, not a team who actually sucks and couldn't have a good record to begin with.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Um, they were the 5th worst team, I'd say they did it right.

if the islanders wanted to tank they would have traded guys that would help them win. bye okposo, tavares, moulson, streit, roloson etc. but keep going, its fun.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

And Weber + Seabrook

Getzlaf, Richards, Carter??

Wingers?? Nash, Perry, Heatley, Hall(?)....

Could be an amazing team.

If the world doesn't end in 2012... We know it will end in 2014. :help:

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Well, just playing Devil's Advocate, Garth did trade Sutton for a 2nd round pick, and failed to pick up another defenseman.

sutton is 34 and was on the last year of his contract and snow had no means of bringing him back and decided to replace him this offseason with wisniewski and eaton who are upgrades over sutton.

to me, if your tanking, which i dont believe you can in todays game, you sit/trade your gamechangers which i outlined above. isles havent done that. they are not tanking.

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
So much talk about Tavares' skating. It improved leaps and bounds throughout the year. At the beginning he was falling down whenever he was touched along the boards but by the end of the year he was protecting the puck just as good as anyone else. I'm confident his skating will improve greatly within the next 2 seasons.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
A little higher than stamkos' top potential, a littler lower than halls.

All in my opinion of course.

Well Stamkos' potential is obviously at least a 50 goal 90 point guy, so that would put Tavares at around 100 points a season...which would mean you have Halls potential as a 105-110 point player?

wow.

I think Tavares and Hall will be decent players, but not better than Stamkos. There are not many 50 goal scorers in the league. Let alone in their second year. Too many people take that fact for granted

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

:laugh: :handclap:

Edmonton fans are great.

Do you really think Hall>Tavares>Stamkos?
:laugh:

Hall can only wish to become a 51 goal scorer in his 2nd season in the NHL, revive a team, and revive a player's career (St. Louis).

My god.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Interesting article on The Hockey News website about converting him to the wing so that he does not have all the responsibility that goes with being a center.

His playmaking is too good to be a winger when center is his natural position. It's not like St. Louis or Kane where they are playmaking wingers who grew up as wingers.

Plus, Gordon won't play him at wing.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
His playmaking is too good to be a winger when center is his natural position. It's not like St. Louis or Kane where they are playmaking wingers who grew up as wingers.

Personally I think his game is more suited to wing. I said it from the day we drafted him. That being said he seems to prefer the right side of the net so not sure how he would work as a LW(he is left handed)

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

People forget that John Tavares..

When he was a 16-17 year old scored 72 goals, 62 assists for 134 points in 67 games for the Generals
Has 215 G, 218 A, 433 P in 247 OHL games..

Not to mention he has 247 OHL games...

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton

lol at that.

stamkos>hall and tavares imo

to aittokallio: no most oiler fans dont expect hall to become 110pt player, 80-90 in his prime is very possible given his potential. one oiler fans view represents the whole fan base? get real man

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

lol at that.

to aittokallio: no most oiler fans dont expect hall to become 110pt player, 80-90 in his prime is very possible given his potential. one oiler fans view represents the whole fan base? get real man

Obviously I wouldn't judge it based on him.

There's a lot of Oilers fans running around like him... But I don't mind it... It was like that here in Chicago when Kane was drafted.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

exactly, he is a natural center and has success there and when it was talked about, gordon said he wouldnt hear it because its tavaress position.

AlMo

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I think there's some serious overating going on here. I predict 40ish goals and 95 points max for his best season.

If JT manages to do this throughout his career he will be a huge success imo.

I think predicting over 120 points is quite bold but it's not impossible. I think the numbers you suggest are realistic. JT is a phenomenal talent and he gains more experience he will only get better. Some people knock his skating, and rightfully so, but I don't think it hinder him from putting up big numbers in this league. JT's hockey sense is off the charts and like so many great before him, he will rely on this to make up for the average skating.

AlMo

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
lol at that.

Saying Stamkos is better than both is obvious. One has played one year in the league with no real talent around him and the other has yet to play a game. Stammer is one heck of a player and I just love the way he plays the game and I fully expect a big career from him but Hall and JT both have the talent to be as good or better than him. JT and Hall both have elements of their game that are above Stamkos' and Stevie has elements to his game that are above JT's and Hall's. Lets wait 4-5-6 years before we make this comparison.

BTW, Seguin and Duchene should be put in this group as well. It wouldn't surprise me to see one be the best of the bunch

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005

Yeah, after seeing his style of play, I agree. He's a center, through and through. He'd get in the way on the wing.

<see, we agree on something>

Cheers,

Dan-o

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
Edmonton fans are great.

Do you really think Hall>Tavares>Stamkos?

Hall can only wish to become a 51 goal scorer in his 2nd season in the NHL, revive a team, and revive a player's career (St. Louis).

Look at his name, we're not all the same. I think Hall will be better than Tavares. I think their shot and hockey sense is similar but I feel Halls speed and tenacity will give him a little more jam, not to mention Hemsky and Hall could develop a St.Louis/Stamkos chemistry with Penner working down low to get them pucks.

People forget that John Tavares..

When he was a 16-17 year old scored 72 goals, 62 assists for 134 points in 67 games for the Generals
Has 215 G, 218 A, 433 P in 247 OHL games..

Im with you, but don't forget about Schemp putting up 145 points in less games, the OHL can be deceiving, in no way am I comparing Schremp to Tavares, but Hall only put up 106 points, is Schremp better than him? Pretty confident thats a no.

I think Tavares has an elite shot and great vision. I think Hall will have a better career if both stay healthy. Stamkos, well that kids incredible and if Hall or Tavares are comparable to him in a couple years, lets say everyone from Edmonton and Long Island are winner.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Look at his name, we're not all the same. I think Hall will be better than Tavares. I think their shot and hockey sense is similar but I feel Halls speed and tenacity will give him a little more jam, not to mention Hemsky and Hall could develop a St.Louis/Stamkos chemistry with Penner working down low to get them pucks.

Im with you, but don't forget about Schemp putting up 145 points in less games, the OHL can be deceiving, in no way am I comparing Schremp to Tavares, but Hall only put up 106 points, is Schremp better than him? Pretty confident thats a no.

I think Tavares has an elite shot and great vision. I think Hall will have a better career if both stay healthy. Stamkos, well that kids incredible and if Hall or Tavares are comparable to him in a couple years, lets say everyone from Edmonton and Long Island are winner.

No, Hall's hockey sense does not even compare to Tavares. JT easily has top 5 hockey sense in the entire NHL, maybe even the best. That is not a knock on Hall, for as good as Hall's skating is Tavares hockey sense/hockey IQ are equally good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad