C Jack Eichel - Boston University, NCAA (2015 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
He's a better skater than MacKinnon. And he's better at everything else than MacKinnon.

He isn't even a better skater than McDavid let alone MacKinnon.

Great skater, yes, but you seem to be pumping Eichel's tires a little too much.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

He's a better skater than MacKinnon. And he's better at everything else than MacKinnon.

This kind of talk is ridiculous. He isn't even in the NHL yet. He's in the NCAA against much lesser competition. Let's see how things play out after he is drafted and plays his rookie year.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
I personally would take Mackinnon over Eichel. I like the extra explosiveness in Macs game as well as his tenacity off the puck.

It's close between the two but to me Eichel's size (brute strength) and hands sets him a slight notch above Mac...but yeah Mac's skating is certainly impressive and he is a bull dog on the ice.

He isn't even a better skater than McDavid let alone MacKinnon.

Funny but I'd rank McDavid's acceleration better than that of MacKinnon's...I'd give Mackinnon a very tiny edge in top end speed.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
This kind of talk is ridiculous. He isn't even in the NHL yet. He's in the NCAA against much lesser competition. Let's see how things play out after he is drafted and plays his rookie year.

How about, in their draft years...

MacKinnon didn't exactly light it up in his draft year, and it wasn't until the Memorial Cup that he really separated himself.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Funny how this only applies to American prospects, huh?

Mackinnon is clearly a little better in terms of skating and speed, but Eichel's vision and playmaking is other-worldly. I think some in this thread are convinced Eichel is a shoot-first player like Mackinnon, but the reality is that he's a pass-first player who can also score goals. He makes just amazing passing plays to set up his teammates, and that's what sets him apart from Mackinnon in my eyes. Mackinnon is the slightly better skater, Eichel is the better playmaker and passer, and the rest of their assets are of similar caliber.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Funny how this only applies to American prospects, huh?

Mackinnon is clearly a little better in terms of skating and speed, but Eichel's vision and playmaking is other-worldly. I think some in this thread are convinced Eichel is a shoot-first player like Mackinnon, but the reality is that he's a pass-first player who can also score goals. He makes just amazing passing plays to set up his teammates, and that's what sets him apart from Mackinnon in my eyes. Mackinnon is the slightly better skater, Eichel is the better playmaker and passer, and the rest of their assets are of similar caliber.

For me, Eichel and Mackinnon are both great players (and rightfully so) but are especially elite in different areas. Mackinnon is the shooter with more explosiveness, speed, and energy. Eichel is a playmaker with a more cerebral game, breaking down plays and controlling the tempo.

They are just both so good, it really just comes down to personal preference and my preference is the more explosive player in Mac.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California

MacKinnon is arguably the fastest skater in the NHL, Eichel is most definitely not a better skater than him. I do think Eichel has better vision and hockey sense than MacKinnon though, and I'm an Avalanche fan. Probably better hands as well.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
MacKinnon is arguably the fastest skater in the NHL, Eichel is most definitely not a better skater than him. I do think Eichel has better vision and hockey sense than MacKinnon though, and I'm an Avalanche fan. Probably better hands as well.

Yup. That's how good of a skater Eichel is. Most powerful, effortless stride since 66.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
For me, Eichel and Mackinnon are both great players (and rightfully so) but are especially elite in different areas. Mackinnon is the shooter with more explosiveness, speed, and energy. Eichel is a playmaker with a more cerebral game, breaking down plays and controlling the tempo.

They are just both so good, it really just comes down to personal preference and my preference is the more explosive player in Mac.

I agree that it comes down to personal preference. However, I also think that a big playmaking center is more useful in terms of winning Stanley Cups. I'd rather have a Getzlaf than a Stamkos in the playoffs. So Eichel over Mackinnon is an easy choice for me, even though I wouldn't begrudge someone who felt otherwise.

What about the first steps?They look sluggish, don't they?

Um, huh? Eichel is as explosive as they get. He can go from zero to 90 in zero seconds flat.

Eichel doesn't have the frantic first steps like Mackinnon or Duchene, for example, but his stride is long and powerful and there is zero issues with his skating. I think a decent comparable in terms of skating would be Patrick Marleau, who is a top-5 skater in the NHL but people wouldn't necessarily think it without careful observation because his stride is so smooth and long and doesn't require many strides to hit top speed.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
While MacKinnon and McDavid are more dynamic and smooth skaters compared to Eichel, Eichel's explosiveness is superb compared to both of them (at least compared to McDavid, you can make a strong case for MacKinnon). And with explosiveness I mean more than just acceleration.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
While MacKinnon and McDavid are more dynamic and smooth skaters compared to Eichel, Eichel's explosiveness is superb compared to both of them (at least compared to McDavid, you can make a strong case for MacKinnon). And with explosiveness I mean more than just acceleration.

lol wat?

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

What do you mean "more than just acceleration". I ask because depending on your answer, I want to agree/disagree with you because I have a different opinion on his 'explosiveness' compared to Mackinnon.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013

Yes?

I didn't say that Eichel is better skater compared to either of them, he just has that explosive element. I mean, he can separate himself a lot better from opponent's in corners and tight places than McDavid for example. That's an element you can find in Crosby's game as well. I think it comes from Eichel's/Crosby's huge lower body strength.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
What do you mean "more than just acceleration". I ask because depending on your answer, I want to agree/disagree with you because I have a different opinion on his 'explosiveness' compared to Mackinnon.

The "more than..." was illplaced words. MacKinnon imo is a better skater open ice acceleration wise, and the same can say about McDavid as well.

edit. And I'm of course talking about draft year's situation. In absolute terms MacKinnon sure is the superb skater, because he's older.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Yes?

I didn't say that Eichel is better skater compared to either of them, he just has that explosive element. I mean, he can separate himself a lot better from opponent's in corners and tight places than McDavid for example. That's an element you can find in Crosby's game as well. I think it comes from Eichel's/Crosby's huge lower body strength.

Interesting. I will hold off from making concrete statements until I get more viewings but I found his ability to seperate himself from players in corners more of the result of his hockey sense, agility, and reach as opposed to explosiveness. When I think of explosiveness, I think of that ability to burst into speed, either in open ice or along the boards.

I feel Mackinnon had the greater explosiveness, with the ability to blow past players with sudden burst of speed. Preliminary viewings of Eichel had me thinking of a guy of less explosiveness but higher hockey sense and patience with the puck. He would be the guy who, instead of trying to explode past players to find a scoring opportunity along the boards, would instead hold onto the puck for that extra second to dissect openings with defenders helpless in stripping the puck off him.

But this is all nitpicking. We are debating between two #1 overall talents so you really can't go wrong.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
How about, in their draft years...

MacKinnon didn't exactly light it up in his draft year, and it wasn't until the Memorial Cup that he really separated himself.

Well besides the fact that he was already long considered the favorite for 1st for years leading into his draft year.

I agree with you he didn't light up the regular season, but having seen the majority of the games I can say that MacKinnon was in cruise control playing on a team that usually won by 5 or more goals. The team would have blown threw the regular season with or without him and he was not being relied upon to score.

However playoffs came around and he was clearly the better player than Drouin, despite having many less points in the regular season, and went on to finish with 46 points in 21 games playoffs+mem cup combined (games that mattered).

I know that is off topic but I hate when people use stats to say one thing when they did not watch the players live. Anyone who watched MacKinnon enough knew he would be the #1 pick unquestionably, there were just not other players available who came close.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Well besides the fact that he was already long considered the favorite for 1st for years leading into his draft year.

I agree with you he didn't light up the regular season, but having seen the majority of the games I can say that MacKinnon was in cruise control playing on a team that usually won by 5 or more goals. The team would have blown threw the regular season with or without him and he was not being relied upon to score.

However playoffs came around and he was clearly the better player than Drouin, despite having many less points in the regular season, and went on to finish with 46 points in 21 games playoffs+mem cup combined (games that mattered).

I know that is off topic but I hate when people use stats to say one thing when they did not watch the players live. Anyone who watched MacKinnon enough knew he would be the #1 pick unquestionably, there were just not other players available who came close.

Except some of the teams had Seth Jones #1 on their list.

Weird this isn't your attitude toward Canadian prospects in the CHL, even though the exact same thing could be said.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Except you don't really know...and your statement that no other prospect was seen as being close to MacKinnon is incorrect.

Just my opinion, and also the opinion of many others I know who personally watched MacKinnon, Jones, and Drouin regularly. I will admit I cannot say for Barkov as I don't get to see European prospects that often aside from international events held in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad