C Jack Eichel - Boston University, NCAA (2015 Draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
A bit off topic, but people are making a big deal about playing young in the NCAA.

Craig Simpson played two seasons in the NCAA when he was 16 and 17, drafted after his second NCAA season. To me that is really amazing and he didn't make a fool of himself either.

As for Paul Kariya. He was one of the most gifted passers with truly elite vision. Maine was a perfect storm for him, much like Gretzky and the Oilers situation.

I was always amazed Kariya netted 50 goals in the NHL, totally unexpected based on his passing pedigree.

What Eichel is doing right now is truly amazing, its very special. Taken his team to #1? at 17 years of age.

I remember with Kessel and the high praise, to me it seemed like manufactured hype. Media going out of its way to compare him to Crosby. Seemed like a far stretch. I just kind of rolled my eyes.

With Eichel, its very real and even if he goes #2 in the draft, truth be told his game and his build may translate better to an NHL game.

I once thought the gap between Eichel and McDavid was crystal clear and huge, now I'm thinking its closer than Ovehckin and Malkin ever was.

Watching some clips of Eichel, he reminds me of Taylor Hall to a degree, with more hockey IQ and less reckless abandon.

Eichel and Hall just might be together next season. :sarcasm:

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
A bit off topic, but people are making a big deal about playing young in the NCAA.

Craig Simpson played two seasons in the NCAA when he was 16 and 17, drafted after his second NCAA season. To me that is really amazing and he didn't make a fool of himself either.

As for Paul Kariya. He was one of the most gifted passers with truly elite vision. Maine was a perfect storm for him, much like Gretzky and the Oilers situation.

I was always amazed Kariya netted 50 goals in the NHL, totally unexpected based on his passing pedigree.

What Eichel is doing right now is truly amazing, its very special. Taken his team to #1? at 17 years of age.

I remember with Kessel and the high praise, to me it seemed like manufactured hype. Media going out of its way to compare him to Crosby. Seemed like a far stretch. I just kind of rolled my eyes.

With Eichel, its very real and even if he goes #2 in the draft, truth be told his game and his build may translate better to an NHL game.

I once thought the gap between Eichel and McDavid was crystal clear and huge, now I'm thinking its closer than Ovehckin and Malkin ever was.

Watching some clips of Eichel, he reminds me of Taylor Hall to a degree, with more hockey IQ and less reckless abandon.

And considerably bigger than Hall was at the same age.

The reason people are making a relatively big deal about him playing college at 17 going at 18, is that its pretty rare. It was less rare 20 years ago, but in the last 15 years or so the predominant path to college hockey is at least one if not two years of junior hockey post highschool. And most that do go straight from high school to college struggle. He is going when he should be a high school senior and is probably the best forward in all of college hockey. That's pretty crazy.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Jack Eichel and McDavid's message to Edmonton

"Please kindly pick things up."

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA

The reason people are making a relatively big deal about him playing college at 17 going at 18, is that its pretty rare. It was less rare 20 years ago, but in the last 15 years or so the predominant path to college hockey is at least one if not two years of junior hockey post highschool. And most that do go straight from high school to college struggle. He is going when he should be a high school senior and is probably the best forward in all of college hockey. That's pretty crazy.

He's been a stud thus far. Amazingly good. Haven't seen a kid this dominant in college hockey in a while. And I remembered thinking, at the time, man, Colin Wilson, he's pretty good. I thought that '09 BU team was good. But man, Eichel makes me forget everyone on that team.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He's been a stud thus far. Amazingly good. Haven't seen a kid this dominant in college hockey in a while. And I remembered thinking, at the time, man, Colin Wilson, he's pretty good. I thought that '09 BU team was good. But man, Eichel makes me forget everyone on that team.

He's the best college player since . . . . well probably Johnny Gaudreau last season (who was a junior and has been a PPG NHL rookie over his last 16 gp). College hockey fans have been spoiled the last few years to see two of the most dominant college players in the modern era.

If Eichel finishes with a Gaudreau like season I think we could definitively call him the best prospect since Crosby (other than McDavid).

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
I really have to wonder how the transition from NCAA play to WJC will play out. Eichel is really setting himself up to potentially have a big tournament on a pretty good USA team. He could easily be the leading scorer in the tournament and be a man amongst boys.

If he manages to dominate his peers with or without McDavid there, how much does it change his draft stock?

Potentially in the NCAA he could win the Hobey if he keeps this up as well.

Is he locked into the #2 spot no matter what?

I honestly think he could close the gap significantly and depending on who drafts first? you never know.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

That's not true. McDavid is a '97 birthday and he's a high school senior. No accelerated schooling. Eichel is a '96 and would have graduated from high school this year, like the rest of people his age.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
That's not true. McDavid is a '97 birthday and he's a high school senior. No accelerated schooling. Eichel is a '96 and would have graduated from high school this year, like the rest of people his age.

Apparently the cutoff is different in Massachusetts and Eichel should be graduating this year

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

Most school systems in the states employ a September 15th cutoff date for schooling. Eichel is supposed to be a high school senior.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

My kid brother is a late '95 and he graduated high school this past summer. Eichel would still be a senior in high school in the US. We've been over this.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Well the American system simply makes no sense. So a Canadian entering the NCAA born after September 15 is classified an under-ager even though they've graduated high school on normal time?

Oh I could talk about the American school system for days...another place perhaps.

ed bruin

Feb 14, 2010
Newton
Went to the BU vs. Harvard game today, first real life viewing of Eichel and tbh I was a little underwhelm. He played alright and was willing to go to dirty areas and looked smooth skating, but for the way hes been playing this season and for the hype. He did not standout at all. It does not help that he took a really dumb penalty which led to a Harvard goal, I do not believe he had a shot at all.

That being said hes still a frosh in Hockey East, yet he was not being pushed around and despite not popping out offensively he played an average to maybe below average game.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Well the American system simply makes no sense. So a Canadian entering the NCAA born after September 15 is classified an under-ager even though they've graduated high school on normal time?
The American school system is messed up because it screws up a Canadian hockey player's timeline? :huh:

You could argue that the September cutoff isn't necessary, but this isn't really a convincing argument for that. :laugh:

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland

You do realize that Eichel is only 2.5 months older than McDavid; they both would be high school seniors this year. Late October bday for Eichel and mid January for McDavid

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
I've learnt so much from this thread the McDavid thread does not divulge.

Couple of weeks ago the fitness experts were raving and giving me scientific lessons on how Eichel is able to squat 320 lbs, with comparisons to other athletes, and now being educated on the North American educational system.

Way more exciting than the McDavid thread where it's just constant posts of what jersey he'll wear.

For this, I would draft Eichel first overall.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Iam very inexperienced with NCAA hockey can someone give me a paragraph breakdown of how it compares to the OHL in terms of comparability

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Iam very inexperienced with NCAA hockey can someone give me a paragraph breakdown of how it compares to the OHL in terms of comparability

Older players in NCAA 18-25 usually so majority are stronger faster and smarter. More depth. Not as much high end elite talent as the OHL.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Older players in NCAA 18-25 usually so majority are stronger faster and smarter. More depth. Not as much high end elite talent as the OHL.

I would add, it is a considerably tighter more structured league. They play a lot less games, pretty much exclusively on the weekends. A lot more time for practice, planning, and intensity for each individual game than the OHL. Which goes hand in hand with the age difference, the consistency at the college level is stronger. Individual high end talent is better in the O, but challenging competition for a draft eligible kid is higher in college.

hockeyeast

Jun 23, 2009
CT
Got to see Eichel in person last Saturday against UConn, a game in which he had 2 assists. Listed as 6'2 194 lbs. Height seems right, but looks more like 215-220lbs. He is the first line center for BU, a team with a lot of talented players. He looked confident on the ice in all situations. Won his face-offs with ease. Physical skills are impressive - long powerful strides, controls/protects the puck well. He looked good on the power play as well. There are many weapons on BU so all of their offense doesn't need to run through him, but when he is on the ice he is a difference maker, IMO. I came away impressed with his talent and hope the best for him in the future. Much of his future success could depend on which team he lands on and what talent he has around him.

ed bruin

Feb 14, 2010
Newton
Got to see Eichel in person last Saturday against UConn, a game in which he had 2 assists. Listed as 6'2 194 lbs. Height seems right, but looks more like 215-220lbs. He is the first line center for BU, a team with a lot of talented players. He looked confident on the ice in all situations. Won his face-offs with ease. Physical skills are impressive - long powerful strides, controls/protects the puck well. He looked good on the power play as well. There are many weapons on BU so all of their offense doesn't need to run through him, but when he is on the ice he is a difference maker, IMO. I came away impressed with his talent and hope the best for him in the future. Much of his future success could depend on which team he lands on and what talent he has around him.

When I went to the Harvard game on Tuesday he had a pretty off game, but thats the part of being a young player in the NCAA. People have already mentioned players are bigger and more consistent and although Eichel wasnt pushed around. He was pretty nuilifed offensively and he took a really bad boarding penalty that lead to a Harvard goal.

the player that really impressed me was Doyle Somebry, he was very mechanical last season adjusting to defensive, playing very passive and skating slow. But he looked really smooth and was extremely physical all game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad