C Elias Pettersson - Timra IK, Allsvenskan (2017, 5th, VAN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
How does this kid compare to some recent Swedish prospects Drafted in the front-half of the first round as far as skill, and upside goes?

Forsberg, William and Alex Nylander, and Elias Lindholm?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Starting to think this kid could go pretty high in the draft, so much skill.

I hope to see him in the top10 when scouts release their november rankings. The top end of this draft really isn't anything special. Pettersson deserves to be up there. It's absurd ISS didn't even have him in their top30 in october, but then again ISS is a bit of a joke.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
I hope to see him in the top10 when scouts release their november rankings. The top end of this draft really isn't anything special. Pettersson deserves to be up there. It's absurd ISS didn't even have him in their top30 in october, but then again ISS is a bit of a joke.

His success isnt even a surprise after his 2014/2015 season. His talent has been obvious for some time now, it is not like he come from nowhere. Do not get why he is not consider as a lock in at least top 10.

After his great start while many other top prospect have had a pretty slow start, he should be in top 5. Liljegren will have to be really good when he comes back from his sickness for him to be the best swedish player in this draft.

Pettersson can be something really special. No one has been even close to winning allsvenskan in scoring at his age, not even W Nylander. His hockey iq most be the best in the draft.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
How does this kid compare to some recent Swedish prospects Drafted in the front-half of the first round as far as skill, and upside goes?

What i missed from Lindholm was not tools per see, it was star aura. He has felt insecure and still do. While Forsberg and W Nylander maybe biggest assest has been that they seem to think of themself as the best player on the ice and take that resposibilty.

When you was entering 2013/2014 season it was a lot of hype around W Nylander, some consider him as number 1 in the draft, and the most optimistic people was hoping he would do what Pettersson is doing, but at the end of the day he was never really close to do that. I would still say it is pretty close between W Nylander and Pettersson as the most intresting swedish forward at this age since Bäckström. Because Nylander had some crazy raw talent even if that season didnt work out as planned. Nylander was a better skater, but I would say Pettersson has a better hockey iq.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Neither did Pronman which shocked me.

I have a feeling Pettersson will go high, he's the type of guy who is real divisive, but one team in the lottery will fall in love and draft him high. Him and Liljegren are the reason Sweden is a must-watch team for me at the WJC (similar to Finland last year due to the amount of draft eligible talent).

Is he playing center right now or is he being eased in on the wing?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What i missed from Lindholm was not tools per see, it was star aura. He has felt insecure and still do. While Forsberg and W Nylander maybe biggest assest has been that they seem to think of themself as the best player on the ice and take that resposibilty.

When you was entering 2013/2014 season it was a lot of hype around W Nylander, some consider him as number 1 in the draft, and the most optimistic people was hoping he would do what Pettersson is doing, but at the end of the day he was never really close to do that. I would still say it is pretty close between W Nylander and Pettersson as the most intresting swedish forward at this age since Bäckström. Because Nylander had some crazy raw talent even if that season didnt work out as planned. Nylander was a better skater, but I would say Pettersson has a better hockey iq.
The other thing is, Pettersson's birthday is 6 months either ahead or behind him depending on what year you use. Nylander's 18 year old year (his D+1) was extremely impressive and he had a much better U-18 WJC than Pettersson. So choosing which season Pettersson's draft season should be compared against is a bit of a dilemma. If I remember correctly, Nylander had a fairly strong 2nd half of the year when fully loaned back to the Allvensken (from Modo).

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
The other thing is, Pettersson's birthday is 6 months either ahead or behind him depending on what year you use. Nylander's 18 year old year (his D+1) was extremely impressive and he had a much better U-18 WJC than Pettersson. So choosing which season Pettersson's draft season should be compared against is a bit of a dilemma. If I remember correctly, Nylander had a fairly strong 2nd half of the year when fully loaned back to the Allvensken (from Modo).

As said before, if that argument would be used consistantly for all players the drafts would look very different than they do. If you have a draft once a year, it will always be age difference up to about 1 year for some players. I would put some weight to it, but not to much.

If you use the age difference against Pettersson for what he does in his draft year, then you should also consider that Pettersson was younger than Nylander when he played in wjc 18. If Pettersson would play wjc 18 in this season, he would probably dominated more, and how good was Nylander in his D-1 wjc 18 compare to how good Pettersson was in his D-1 wjc 18?

Btw if Pettersson would be born like 2 months later (and become a 99) and Nylander was born 2 months later, no one would mention the age difference, even if the age difference is the same.

He has played wing for most of the season.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
As said before, if that argument would be used consistantly for all players the drafts would look very different then they do. If you have a draft once a year, it will always be age difference on about 1 year for some players. I would put some weight to it, but not to much.

If you use the age different against Pettersson for what he does in his draft year, then you should also consider that Pettersson was younger than Nylander when he played in wjc 18. If Pettersson would play wjc 18 in this season, he would probably dominated more, and how good was Nylander in his D-1 wjc 18 compare to how good Pettersson was in his D-1 wjc 18. It all becomes very complexed.
Very true, but the difference in performance at the U-18 WJC level was so drastic you can't think that was fueled primarily by age difference, Nylander doubled Petersson's point total. I like Petersson as a prospect and expect him to end up getting drafted in the top 10. Someone will fall in love with his IQ. I'm excited to get a better viewing of him in December. He and Hischier were the two guys I thought were the most intriguing in regards to how they would perform this year. Both seem to be in the top 10 and could potentially end up top 5.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Very true, but the difference in performance at the U-18 WJC level was so drastic you can't think that was fueled primarily by age difference, Nylander doubled Petersson's point total. I like Petersson as a prospect and expect him to end up getting drafted in the top 10. Someone will fall in love with his IQ. I'm excited to get a better viewing of him in December. He and Hischier were the two guys I thought were the most intriguing in regards to how they would perform this year. Both seem to be in the top 10 and could potentially end up top 5.

As I said, if Pettersson would play in wjc 18 this season he would probably put up similar numbers as Nylander did in that tournament during his draft year.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013

Hard to say he plays the game more like Bäckström extremely cerebral, but wont go as high in the draft because he is a lot further from a finished product than Bäckström was at the same age.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Hard to say he plays the game more like Bäckström extremely cerebral, but wont go as high in the draft because he is a lot further from a finished product than Bäckström was at the same age.

Yeah, Pettersson has a long way to go before he's ready physically for the NHL. That's why I think he could be all over the place on different draft boards.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
To me him, Liljegren and Patrick are in the same tier and should be competing for 1st overall. Patrick is favored because he is a North American but Pettersson may have an even higher hockey IQ.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Kid looks great. What's a good comparable for him?

Nicklas Bäckström is the best comparison I can think of less polished at the same age as i said earlier but the skill and vision is there

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Kid looks great. What's a good comparable for him?
I haven't enough of him to make a great comparable. But everything being written about him sounds very similar to RNH coming out Red Deer. Not short, but underdeveloped, primarily a playmaker and possess great vision and high hockey IQ. From what I've seen he seems to possess similar traits, although he seems to have more questions about his skating.

Backstrom sounds reasonable, but I find his name gets thrown around anytime there is a good playmaking center coming out of Sweden. I remember it being heavily attached to Elias Lindholm, and even seen it thrown on W. Nylander (which I don't really see).

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
I haven't enough of him to make a great comparable. But everything being written about him sounds very similar to RNH coming out Red Deer. Not short, but underdeveloped, primarily a playmaker and possess great vision and high hockey IQ. From what I've seen he seems to possess similar traits, although he seems to have more questions about his skating.

Backstrom sounds reasonable, but I find his name gets thrown around anytime there is a good playmaking center coming out of Sweden. I remember it being heavily attached to Elias Lindholm, and even seen it thrown on W. Nylander (which I don't really see).

RNH feels more right then Bäckström. Bäckström is a silent playmaker that is more about simple smart plays, and is not very aggressive, but more about position, nothing to flashy. Wennberg is another swede that looks like that. But Pettersson is not that kind of silent playmaker.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Jonathen Dahlen is a year older but is also having a very good year with Timra IK

He leads the team in goals.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Jonathen Dahlen is a year older but is also having a very good year with Timra IK

He leads the team in goals.

Dahlén and Pettersson are leading the team in points with a gap to the rest. They have actually not played on the same line, or even PP-unit this year. Both have obviously played very well.

novon04

Dec 21, 2011

Pettersson and W. Nylander stands out as the most naturally talented. At age 16 you could see right away that they were very special players. Those two are the ones with highest upside IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad