C Dylan Strome - Erie Otters, OHL (2015, 3rd, ARZ) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Will both Marner and Strome be in the NHL next year?

I don't see what either has left to prove in the OHL, Strome led the league in pts and if Marner wasn't hurt, he would've let the league in points.

Kane went straight into the NHL and toughed it out, Marner can do the same and Strome has an NHL ready body.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Do not think it is likely, but disagree with those who say that he is a Top 5 lock. Him fallen to 6-8 is certainly possible, but as I said in my opinion unlikely.

A Couturier-type situation is certainly possible (when guys like Strome, Zibanejad and Scheifele were drafted ahead of him). I think it's less likely though. I'msure some will be wary of him due to a relatively lackluster playoffs and wondering how much of an effect McDavid had.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I doubt it, NHL teams love their big centres. At the worst he goes #7. No way you take Crouse, Rantanen or Zacha over him.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

I don't see what either has left to prove in the OHL, Strome led the league in pts and if Marner wasn't hurt, he would've let the league in points.

Kane went straight into the NHL and toughed it out, Marner can do the same and Strome has an NHL ready body.

If Strome improves his skating by a lot in the summer, which is very possible, I think he makes the NHL. Marner is more doubtful. Theoretically he could make it but I'd worry about him getting injured and having that plague him the rest of his career. There's nothing wrong with him going back to London as well as playing the World Juniors. Keep in mind Kane was a late birthday and thus had an additional season under his belt. Basically Kane's pre-draft season would be equivalent to Marner's next season and I think, if he goes back, he has a real shot at putting up the same numbers as Kane did in London that year.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site

Strome is 6'3 and 185lbs. In no way is Strome anywhere close to NHL ready body. Also I thing most people would agree Strome playing in Erie one more year as the main offensive focus without McDavid wouldn't be a wasted learning experience. Even if he just replicate this years numbers I'd think it would be time well spent.

Of the two I could see Marner playing in the NHL next year. Unfortunately I think Marner has likely stopped growing and filling out and his skating is NHL ready. Also he was already the man on a very good OHL team.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
If Strome improves his skating by a lot in the summer, which is very possible, I think he makes the NHL. Marner is more doubtful. Theoretically he could make it but I'd worry about him getting injured and having that plague him the rest of his career. There's nothing wrong with him going back to London as well as playing the World Juniors. Keep in mind Kane was a late birthday and thus had an additional season under his belt. Basically Kane's pre-draft season would be equivalent to Marner's next season and I think, if he goes back, he has a real shot at putting up the same numbers as Kane did in London that year.

ok and if space aliens fly in from Mars to turn McDavid , Eichel Hanifin and Marner into zombies then Strome could make a case of being the TRUE #1 in the draft.

Players dont just 'improve their skating a lot' at age 18. Some improve it, but none by 'a lot'. Strome will never have break away speed. Just forget it.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Strome is 6'3 and 185lbs. In no way is Strome anywhere close to NHL ready body. Also I thing most people would agree Strome playing in Erie one more year as the main offensive focus without McDavid wouldn't be a wasted learning experience. Even if he just replicate this years numbers I'd think it would be time well spent.

Of the two I could see Marner playing in the NHL next year. Unfortunately I think Marner has likely stopped growing and filling out and his skating is NHL ready. Also he was already the man on a very good OHL team.

Did you see the photo of the guy? He looks 14.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Both have plenty of growth left at the OHL level. Strome needs to continue focusing on his skating and learning how to take on the load of being "the man" in Erie. He needs to fight through top checking assignments. He also needs to prove he can hold up over a grueling full season without fizzling out at the end during the playoffs.

Marner needs to focus on getting bigger and stronger and avoiding injuries. London will have a very talented but very young team next season. He will need to grow as a leader and shoulder even more of the on-ice burden of leading the team with some key veteran departures.

Both players still need to win. They need to push their team through playoff series. They will represent Canada at the U20s and can star in that tournament. They need to become bigger, stronger, faster, more well rounded hockey players who've gained invaluable experience and confidence.

Or you could stick them in the NHL and watch them struggle to adjust while getting run over and utterly sapped of any and all confidence. That works too.

rt

May 13, 2004

Strome's body actual packs more pounds per inch than Marner's does. So if you're going strictly off of inches and pounds, Strome is not only taller, but bigger and more filled out.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com

Yeah I think they might even send Strome down to Erie so that it's finally Strome's team and not McDavid's team and see what he is really capable of with the whole load on his back.

Anybody else think that Henrik Sedin is a pretty good comparable to Strome? And Drouin for Marner?

Thebolt*

Do you think he might center the 4th line for the Leafs or just get sent to junior.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Yeah I think they might even send Strome down to Erie so that it's finally Strome's team and not McDavid's team and see what he is really capable of with the whole load on his back.

Anybody else think that Henrik Sedin is a pretty good comparable to Strome? And Drouin for Marner?

Strome does not have the skating ability to be compared to a Sedin. Depending how young/old you are, the player most similiar to him right now is Jason Allison.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Strome does not have the skating ability to be compared to a Sedin. Depending how young/old you are, the player most similiar to him right now is Jason Allison.

Every slow player that can score gets compared to allison lol

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
ok and if space aliens fly in from Mars to turn McDavid , Eichel Hanifin and Marner into zombies then Strome could make a case of being the TRUE #1 in the draft.

Players dont just 'improve their skating a lot' at age 18. Some improve it, but none by 'a lot'. Strome will never have break away speed. Just forget it.

I'm one of the biggest Strome detractors around here but his skating is not that awful. It has some rough edges for sure but I think it's very improvable. He is working with the same skating coach as John Tavares was and he is just as driven. No, he is never going to be an amazing skater (and I never implied that either so not sure what your overly dramatic statement is about) but he doesn't need to be either. He just needs to have NHL level skating and I think he can get there.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Strome's body actual packs more pounds per inch than Marner's does. So if you're going strictly off of inches and pounds, Strome is not only taller, but bigger and more filled out.

My uneducated guess is Marner will always be skinny/small/light so giving him a year or 2 to be 10-15 lbs heavier and still skinny/small/light might be a waste of time. He looks like he has the skill and speed to play in NHL and if he has a great camp I'd say keep him up.

Strome has room to improve right across the board and +15-20lbs would get him to a decent NHL weight.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Strome should play one more year in junior IMO. Depending on how his year goes next year, he might be able to step in and play in the NHL after that.

Marner definitely needs one more year in junior. Just to focus on getting stronger and continue to round out his game. After that I think he plays in the NHL.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'm one of the biggest Strome detractors around here but his skating is not that awful. It has some rough edges for sure but I think it's very improvable. He is working with the same skating coach as John Tavares was and he is just as driven. No, he is never going to be an amazing skater (and I never implied that either so not sure what your overly dramatic statement is about) but he doesn't need to be either. He just needs to have NHL level skating and I think he can get there.

Agreed. Spezza improved enough to be a number one center for several years. Tavares has improved enough to be a number one center. I see no reason why Strome can't go from where he is now, to the level that guys like Spezza and Tavares eventually got to in terms of mobility and skating.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
Seems like a Joe Thornton type. Unlimited natural talent, wants to be a good player, just lacks any natural high level of competitiveness. I think a team should count on him being a high level second line center. I would take him after Hanifin, Marner and maybe Provorov.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Every slow player that can score gets compared to allison lol

Not really. Like one would never confuse Hodgson with Allison. Its just the way they approach the game.

Both Allison and Strome have alot of muscle mass and have power in their frames. Their positioning is very good and they have elite technical abilities and puck protection. Allison wasn't the worst skater out there until he got hurt, but he definitely had that lumbering stride that was just adequate, kinda like Strome. Good balance though.

Similiar career tracjectories too, Allison lit up juniors and was a very good point producer at the NHL level, I think Strome has that ability too.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Agreed. Spezza improved enough to be a number one center for several years. Tavares has improved enough to be a number one center. I see no reason why Strome can't go from where he is now, to the level that guys like Spezza and Tavares eventually got to in terms of mobility and skating.

Sorry this always bugs me...

Spezza was always a really good skater. The bad skater rap was because he played like 30 minutes a night in OHL and dragged his butt on more than a couple of shifts (seeing as he's not a machine).

Back in the day when they released the skating times from top prospect game he rated near the top of most events.

Once his ice time got cut to something reasonable and he learned to go hard for his entire shift the bad skater rap suddenly disappeared.

To be honest I remember watching Tavares at WJC and suspect his skating issues might have been similar, although he was more an average skater and has reportedly worked really hard on it (he's better than average at just about everything else).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad