Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I'm thinking mono, that would cause someone to look sluugish and slow out there

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
I'm thinking mono, that would cause someone to look sluugish and slow out there

We have a winner folks. :handclap:

In other words, you can figure out an angle to dismiss anyones poor play. He had 'mono' .

Strome said he was fine.

He looked exactly the same to me. The level of competition got higher so he was exposed.

Any news on the rumored health issue?

There is no 'rumored' health issue. It was made up on HF boards to justify why he was playing so poorly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Probably the most disappointing player in the playoffs this year.

Dave Hahn

Apr 23, 2002
It was posted by Dave Hahn, a Hockey's Future staff member... surely he wouldn't make it up?!?

For context, here is my original post.

Strome is dealing with an underlying factor that the public will find out about following the conclusion of the playoffs.

For those just tuning in now, Strome is not 100%, and judging him off a sample size as small as a playoff series is, to put it loosely, far-fetched.

If you read this accurately, "injury" or "sick" are not explicitly stated. What is, however, is "underlying factor," which suggests any number of things.

To suggest that I said he was hurt, injured, or sick is not accurate. It is clear that the young man wasn't playing up to his usual capabilities, and if he or the organization wish to address that, then that remains their prerogative.

This will be the last time I address this, and I appreciate those who brought this to my attention directly.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
IF it ends up with him having zero injury/sickness or whatever and he just flat out was bad in the playoffs, that paints a pretty bad picture in my opinion.

Not a single game in the playoffs where you could say "Dylan Strome took that game over"

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
Here you go, Arizona. He's all yours. Leave us a choice between Marner and Hanifin.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think there's some hyperbole going on. Did Draisaitl dominate last year when his team was swept in 4 games in the playoffs?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I think there's some hyperbole going on. Did Draisaitl dominate last year when his team was swept in 4 games in the playoffs?

The thing is if he had even like .8 ppg and was engaged and creating chances no one would care as much, the fact that he looked dreadful and disappeared when the stakes got higher is the part that worries ppl.

Madic

May 21, 2008
Understatement. Expectations on Strome were hilarious...he struggled to slow the game down against a couple of great clubs. Pre-Sportsnet playoff coverage you'd think everybody was an Otters season ticket holder, post-Sportsnet coverage you'd think every top 5 prospect has to be a waterbug highlight machine.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The thing is if he had even like .8 ppg and was engaged and creating chances no one would care as much, the fact that he looked dreadful and disappeared when the stakes got higher is the part that worries ppl.

Nothing different from regular season. Several times I came away underwhelmed by his play but when you look at the scoresheet he had 2 points. Is he the dynamic player that Marner is? Answer is no. Is he still a very good prospect who has tons of upside once his body fills out? You bet. This isn't about what you can do today. It's how their game projects 3 years down the road. He's easily a Top 5 player and given positional need it will be hard to pass at 3 for AZ. I prefer Marner but AZ desperately needs a future #1C more than a scoring winger.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
For context, here is my original post.

If you read this accurately, "injury" or "sick" are not explicitly stated. What is, however, is "underlying factor," which suggests any number of things.

To suggest that I said he was hurt, injured, or sick is not accurate. It is clear that the young man wasn't playing up to his usual capabilities, and if he or the organization wish to address that, then that remains their prerogative.

This will be the last time I address this, and I appreciate those who brought this to my attention directly.

Well, that sounds like an off-ice issue, like a death in the family or some other sort of problem likely to effect a teenager's focus. We'll see.

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
So has anyone heard anything about this supposed 'factor' Strome was dealing with during the playoffs? It's been basically 3-4 weeks now since their run ended. And there's been zero leak during the combine from what I can tell.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
So has anyone heard anything about this supposed 'factor' Strome was dealing with during the playoffs? It's been basically 3-4 weeks now since their run ended. And there's been zero leak during the combine from what I can tell.

I think he was dealing with lack of compete a.k.a. Leafs' syndrome. Should be a solid choice for us: he'll fit right in with the rest of our guys who want to go for a little recreational skate for 20 minutes per game.

Gamble9

Apr 15, 2014
Bowmanville, Ontario
he got dominated by Oshawa and SSM's better teams he played a great playoff untill he ran into those incredible good and deep teams SSM shut down every player they played except McDavid and Oshawa manhandled every player in the OHL and memorial cup saying he didn't produce much against either of those teams is like saying water is wet He is still a great talent and solid pick anywhere after 3

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
he got dominated by Oshawa and SSM's better teams he played a great playoff untill he ran into those incredible good and deep teams SSM shut down every player they played except McDavid and Oshawa manhandled every player in the OHL and memorial cup saying he didn't produce much against either of those teams is like saying water is wet He is still a great talent and solid pick anywhere after 3

In a larger sample size, Strome also finished 1st in the OHL in scoring (and tied for first in the CHL), including a lengthy stretch where McDavid was absent from the team (and they didn't play on the first line to begin with).

I just shake my head at some of the stuff I read about Strome on HF. I get there's a debate particularly re him and Marner (and tbh, I like Marner more) - but some of the comments about Strome are ridiculous.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

Well we've been told it wasn't an injury and he felt fine, so it must have been something that had a psychological effect. My guess: his GF dumped him for a Habs fan.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
He could end up a very good player, but he scares me the most out of all of the top guys in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad