C Dylan Strome - Erie Otters, OHL (2015, 3rd, ARZ) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
I think there's some hyperbole going on. Did Draisaitl dominate last year when his team was swept in 4 games in the playoffs?
Did you even watch any playoff games? The guy looked like he didn't belong in the OHL, and was one of the worst otters on the ice for some games. Dude was an absolute floater.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Think lots of Oiler fans have an irrational dislike of Strome now because his disappearing act in the OHL finals allowed Oshawa to treat the Otters like a 1 man team, and focus all their energy on smothering McDavid.

Still, not the first great prospect to have a bad run in the CHL playoffs as a 17/18 year old. If he does drop a bit it could be a huge benefit for whoever gets him.

Madic

May 21, 2008
Did you even watch any playoff games? The guy looked like he didn't belong in the OHL, and was one of the worst otters on the ice for some games. Dude was an absolute floater.
Bahahaaa I love HF. Yes, he looked too terrible for the OHL. You're a genius. :laugh:

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
He was poor in virtually every game Sportsnet broadcasted (IIRC, 2 against London, 4 against SSM and 1 against Oshawa) though.

Also was under a point per game if you take out his first 6 playoff games, where he picked up 9 points.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
He was poor in virtually every game Sportsnet broadcasted (IIRC, 2 against London, 4 against SSM and 1 against Oshawa) though.

Also was under a point per game if you take out his first 6 playoff games, where he picked up 9 points.

I don't think it's reasonable to measure someone performance by removing 1/3 of the sample size.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I don't think it's reasonable to measure someone performance by removing 1/3 of the sample size.

The point I am making is as the competition got tougher (facing the Knights in London for Games 3 and 4, then facing SSM and OSH), his production levels faded badly.

Which is why the 'he was terrible in the playoffs' stuff started.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
The point I am making is as the competition got tougher (facing the Knights in London for Games 3 and 4, then facing SSM and OSH), his production levels faded badly.

Which is why the 'he was terrible in the playoffs' stuff started.

His production against SSM wasn't bad. It was London and Oshawa where it wasn't great.

And he wasn't "terrible in the playoffs" (although certainly not as good as the regular season). - that is just something that is repeated over and over on HF boards although it's true.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
His production against SSM wasn't bad. It was London and Oshawa where it wasn't great.

And he wasn't "terrible in the playoffs" (although certainly not as good as the regular season). - that is just something that is repeated over and over on HF boards although it's true.

It was more so the fact that he didn't stand out in any way.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site

I remember going to a Owen Sound game to watch Cody Ceci. His skating and playing were awful. So bad if fact I'm almost certain he was injured.

I'm sure plenty of scouts have similar stories about going to see Brandon Saad in 2011. If you go back and read some regular season posts I'm pretty sure you'll have a better idea what kind of player he'll turn into. Good scouts have long memories.

Finally I've been wrong about this before but I'd say Strome probably has the most physical development (natural growth) of prospects in the top 10. I'd be surprised if he didn't put on at least 20lbs of muscle in the next 2 years, not sure anyone else in the top 10 has that much weight to add.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Yeah I'd say Marner and Strome still have a ton of growing to do. When Strome turns into a man and improves his skating, he will be a force.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He seems like a guy that will take a long time to get traction at the NHL level IMO. Another year in juniors and perhaps 2 in the AHL unless he isn't old enough to go to the AHL the season after next. Patience will be huge for whoever drafts him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He seems like a guy that will take a long time to get traction at the NHL level IMO. Another year in juniors and perhaps 2 in the AHL unless he isn't old enough to go to the AHL the season after next. Patience will be huge for whoever drafts him.

I think he's going to lead the OHL in scoring again next season, be a huge deal at the WJCs, tear it up in the playoffs and be Hf's golden-boy a year from today.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think he's going to lead the OHL in scoring again next season, be a huge deal at the WJCs, tear it up in the playoffs and be Hf's golden-boy a year from today.

It's possible, but if Marner heads back to London I think that he may have something to say about that. This is a huge offseason for him.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario

How true this is. However, Marner will likely lead the OHL in scoring next year, especially with how much talent London will have.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It's possible, but if Marner heads back to London I think that he may have something to say about that. This is a huge offseason for him.

Regardless. Look at your very own Leon Draisaitl. 80% of the dorks on this forum had him written off as a bust by Christmas. All of six months later, and he's the toast of the boards. Mr. MVP.

When Strome put up six points in the final OHL game to take the scoring title, folks went nuts. He was the clear cut number three pick overnight. Almost as quickly, when his scoring dried up in the OHL final, he's the whipping boy. The top five's toxic asset that no one wants to touch. It's absurd.

He had 8pts in 5gms against Sarnia. 8pts in 6gms against SSM. He burned out against Oshawa and had one bad series. So he sucks. It's HF, man. That's how it works. You are exactly as good as the last game you played on National television.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Why would TSN want to limit viewers of their content by geo region? They sell ads.
I imagine it has to do with rights. They might only have the rights to broadcast certain content to Canadians, so to keep things simple they just block it all.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Regardless. Look at your very own Leon Draisaitl. 80% of the dorks on this forum had him written off as a bust by Christmas. All of six months later, and he's the toast of the boards. Mr. MVP.

When Strome put up six points in the final OHL game to take the scoring title, folks went nuts. He was the clear cut number three pick overnight. Almost as quickly, when his scoring dried up in the OHL final, he's the whipping boy. The top five's toxic asset that no one wants to touch. It's absurd.

He had 8pts in 5gms against Sarnia. 8pts in 6gms against SSM. He burned out against Oshawa and had one bad series. So he sucks. It's HF, man. That's how it works. You are exactly as good as the last game you played on National television.

Stats are one thing, however for obvious reasons I started watching Erie closely after the 1st round and I just don't see a top 5 guy in him. I could well be wrong, time will tell.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
2e34lf4.jpg

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
The fans of whoever drafts Strome will need to patient as hell.

Look at his brother Ryan. Ryan took 2 more years of junior PLUS half a season in the AHL. And he probably would have spent more time in the AHL, but he ripped it up.

Dylan is bigger and stronger than Ryan at the same age, but definitely isn't as dynamic. You won't see Dylan going through the legs around the defence man anytime soon. He will take time as well, I would say 2 more years, and perhaps the AHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad