C Dylan Strome - Erie Otters, OHL (2015, 3rd, ARZ) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
He's Jason Spezza.

I don't see the similarities. Jason Spezza from what I recall was a very good skater and could stick handle in a booth. The Sens took their time with him but he was ready for NHL earlier

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Stats are one thing, however for obvious reasons I started watching Erie closely after the 1st round and I just don't see a top 5 guy in him. I could well be wrong, time will tell.

SSM and Oshawa were stacked teams. I don't think there is that much shame in a 17/18 year old not performing well against teams like that in a long series, especially with the support the otters had outside from McDavid/Strome. Just wasn't a very good team aside from the high end guys, too many young players all getting outclassed at the same time by these more organized and more experienced teams.

If Strome was going to be a top end #1 overall type of prospect (in a different draft of course) I would have expected more, especially with McDavid taking away the toughest competition from him which should have made his job easier. His season as a whole still easily puts him in that very high end for this years draft though IMO, especially considering how he was still able to perform during the time McDavid was not on the team which put to rest the idea he was only being carried by McDavid for point production.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
SSM and Oshawa were stacked teams. I don't think there is that much shame in a 17/18 year old not performing well against teams like that in a long series, especially with the support the otters had outside from McDavid/Strome. Just wasn't a very good team aside from the high end guys, too many young players all getting outclassed at the same time by these more organized and more experienced teams.

If Strome was going to be a top end #1 overall type of prospect (in a different draft of course) I would have expected more, especially with McDavid taking away the toughest competition from him which should have made his job easier. His season as a whole still easily puts him in that very high end for this years draft though IMO.

Had Strome been matched against Nurse that would've been one thing. I agree about Oshawa though, but SSM wasn't as good of a TEAM as Oshawa was.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don't see the similarities. Jason Spezza from what I recall was a very good skater and could stick handle in a booth. The Sens took their time with him but he was ready for NHL earlier
Spezza's skating was a big criticism at the time he was drafted. He improved his skating post draft like Strome will need too.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Spezza's skating was a big criticism at the time he was drafted. He improved his skating post draft like Strome will need too.
Indeed, Spezza has improved his skating a tonne since he was drafted, I'd say Strome is a better skater now than Spezza was at the same age.

Don't love the comparison overall, though. Spezza, especially when he was younger, had super high individual skill, and very questionable decision making. He'd wow you with his hands, then give up terrible turnovers on passes that were obviously going to be picked off. Strome doesn't have that really dynamic offensive flair/talent that Spezza has, but he also plays a safer, "smarter" game.

I see the similarities on the "big, skilled, but pretty soft" angle, but there are some fairly major differences too.

hockeey

Oct 28, 2014
CA
I thought it was kind of funny when he mentioned Tavares being his favorite player because he had skating issues in his draft year and improved a lot :laugh:

Good on him though, he acknowledges his weakness and also shows that he knows it's something he has to work on. Honestly wasn't a big Strome fan earlier in the year just cause he always played at a slow pace, but I think he's a smart enough guy that he can fix that. That comment and the fact that he didn't make any excuses for his poor playoff performance (denied being injured when almost everyone said he was) make me respect the kid a lot more than I used to.

Hopefully teams avoid him because of his playoff performance and he drops to 9 :sarcasm:

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Just think it's funny that people who never watched Strome other than a few bad games in the playoffs are righting him off as a top 5 pick and calling him a future bust. Maybe you should recognize that you caught a few bad games and those games are not a good representation of the player and there is a reason he has solidified himself as a top 5 pick and maybe give the scouts a benefit of the doubt.

Sure it's fine to have an opinion, but you should recognize that it's not smart to base your opinion on such a small sample size where the player played his poorest hockey. Especially since you haven't seen Strome at his best or at least regular self to make a balanced judgment on him.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Had Strome been matched against Nurse that would've been one thing. I agree about Oshawa though, but SSM wasn't as good of a TEAM as Oshawa was.

If you look wins, goal diff and most other stats for expected wins SSM was very very close to as good as Oshawa if not better.

Looking just at stats Erie should have lost a series to either team. Personally wonder what would have happened if series went

Erie vs Oshawa
Erie vs SSM

Thebolt*

Will Dylan Strome fall in the draft?

I havent seen him play that much outside of the playoffs but ive read a lot about him and a lot of scouting sources say he really needs to work on his skating. I even read elsewhere that he moght not be a center and a team that drafts him may have to settle on him being a winger. Some teams may also be worried that he is product of McDavid and may still be good but not elite.So I am just wondering,could he fall out of the top 5. Ive heard that Toronto is eying Provorov with their pick and there is Matt Barzal who was injured this year like Galchenyuk , Reilly in their draft years and teams may look at him even though he is a boit smaller.

1.McDavid
2.Eichel
3.Marner
4.Provorov
5.Hanifin
6.Raantanen
7.Crouse
8.Werenski
9.Meier
10.Zacha

That to me is a legit top 10. Is it possible.

BlueFC

Jun 25, 2014
Toronto
I don't see a way he drops out of the top 5. And if he does a lot of team will regret not taking him higher. IMO he will be a stud, skating can we improved upon Hockey ID and skill cannot.

DangleSprong

DekesFromAmsterdam
Oct 24, 2013
PEI
I havent seen him play that much outside of the playoffs but ive read a lot about him and a lot of scouting sources say he really needs to work on his skating. I even read elsewhere that he moght not be a center and a team that drafts him may have to settle on him being a winger. Some teams may also be worried that he is product of McDavid and may still be good but not elite.So I am just wondering,could he fall out of the top 5. Ive heard that Toronto is eying Provorov with their pick and there is Matt Barzal who was injured this year like Galchenyuk , Reilly in their draft years and teams may look at him even though he is a boit smaller.

1.McDavid
2.Eichel
3.Marner
4.Provorov
5.Hanifin
6.Raantanen
7.Crouse
8.Werenski
9.Meier
10.Zacha

That to me is a legit top 10. Is it possible.

Strome being taken after Crouse, Meier, and Zacha is laughable

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
I would be absolutely shocked. I have seen him play live a few times, and while he isn't a dynamic skater like McDavid, he certainly has a lot of skill, very good hockey IQ and he is a good possession player. As a Leafs fan, I will be pretty disappointed if they pass on him at 4.

There has been way to much talk of him being a product of McDavid IMO. They don't usually play on the same line, and it isn't like his production fell off a cliff without McDavid in the lineup. I recall many people knocking Ehlers last year simply because of the fact that both he and Drouin played on the same team. He proved those people wrong this year putting up a better PPG without Drouin even on the team.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He will fall all the way to 3rd overall. And you need to stop listening to whatever soured provided you with that terrible information. It's crap.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
He will go 5th after Hanifin and Marner. I think its too high but my logic is based on Cody Hodgson.

Stacker29

Feb 17, 2015
I see no scenario that leads to Crouse being drafted before Strome. I'm not even a Strome booster. At worst he falls to six, and that would shock me...

Henderson19

Jul 6, 2007
Not predicting anything, but I think he could go anywhere between 3-7. Comparable talent and team needs could drive it. But anything lower would be a surprise.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
After McDavid, Eichel + Marner, Hanifin (which is the group most people have him in), I could see a team opting for the complete D-man Provorov or just really be enamored with what Crouse brings to the table. After that, I don't see any team legitimately passing on him, so I have him at 7 at the absolute worst, and that is still very unlikely. He should pretty much be considered a lock in the top 5.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I could see him dropping to 6.

Edm: McDavid
Buf: Eichel
Ari: Marner
Tor: Hanifin
Car: Provorov
NJ: Strome

I don't know if 6 is really "dropping" though. Just a good draft imo

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
I would be shocked if he gets by 4...I am pretty sure that Arizona is going to snap him up at 3.

stayinalive

Jul 29, 2012
Do not think it is likely, but disagree with those who say that he is a Top 5 lock. Him fallen to 6-8 is certainly possible, but as I said in my opinion unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad