C Bo Horvat (2013, 9th overall, Vancouver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I don't even think any Canucks fans are "down" on Horvat.

Just a lot of people saying "hey, let's slow down here, hold our horses" are being labelled as haters. I also am very encouraged by what Horvat has done. But because I think we shouldn't be hyping him to the moon as '94 Linden incarnate, I am also a hater.

Slow down people. Let's just continue watching his progress.

No, someone said "hater's gonna hate" when someone compared him to Fischer.

I said "**** the haters" as a joke.

Also, nobody is saying seriously that he is going to be the next Gretzky with a straight face. Let people be excited about the kid. Who cares.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Just stating the fact to help your argument.

By the way, using your logic, Monahan is a 70 goal scorer. :handclap:

Over the past 2 months Horvat has 13 points in 25 games. And has been getting better and better since the season has gone on.

To say his absolute peak is a 35-40 point player is ridiculous, as over the past 2 months he has already played at that level. And is continuing to improve as the season is going on here.

Don't just pull up his hockeydb page and assume you know everything about the situation, and come into threads you have no business commenting on with condescending opinions.

ace4

Mar 11, 2014
This is stupid. Monahan is better than Horvat at every part of the game right now. Horvat isn't even close right now. It doesn't matter who has a better career, it's about who wins the championship, and that's if they have longevity.

That's not true at all. Horvat's face off percentage this year is 52 percent while Monahan's is 50 percent. The only area of the game where Monahan is way ahead of Horvat is in goals and that gap would be closer if Bo was playing the amount of minutes that Monahan gets.

Lehkonen4Calder

Feb 24, 2015
Over the past 2 months Horvat has 13 points in 25 games. And has been getting better and better since the season has gone on.

To say his absolute peak is a 35-40 point player is ridiculous, as over the past 2 months he has already played at that level. And is continuing to improve as the season is going on here.

Don't just pull up his hockeydb page and assume you know everything about the situation, and come into threads you have no business commenting on with condescending opinions.

2 month? nice little streak for me his ceilling is Jordan staal until he prove otherwise:laugh:

embryoniccrusadah

Nov 3, 2011
They're 2 completely different players who should never be compared, but don't let that stop you guys.

-DasItMane

Theyre also both young hockey-playing forwards in the NHL. It's not like we're comparing Lebron James to Wayne Gretzky

-EmbryonicCrusadah

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
2 month? nice little streak for me his ceilling is Jordan staal until he prove otherwise:laugh:

A healthy Jordan Staal would be a fantastic cog on any team. Not sure why that is a negative.

What type of measurement would be more satisfying for you to use than 2 months? He is in his rookie year so its not like we have a wealth of game experience to go back on and review at the NHL level. He has been getting progressively better as the year has gone on, as you would hope with a rookie, and is shooting his way up the Canucks depth chart. Are you honestly trying to argue that a rookie who doesn't instantly start playing to their potential from game 1 is handicapped in the future by that in some way?

He has been a player that has been progressing at an incredible rate over the course of the season, and any discussions that we have around him should be based on the player he is now, rather than some irrelevant full season average figure. To me it just seems obvious that all people are doing is pulling up his stats from the entire year, and assuming they know everything there is to know about how Horvat has played this year.

stardefender*

The fact this thread is being posted in 100 times a day just shows how starved Canuck fans are for excitement about prospects when a middling guy like Horvat gets his tires pumped like he's a potential elite talent.

Take'er down a notch. This is silly hype.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
The fact this thread is being posted in 100 times a day just shows how starved Canuck fans are for excitement about prospects when a middling guy like Horvat gets his tires pumped like he's a potential elite talent.

Take'er down a notch. This is silly hype.

That middling talent is on pace for an impressive rookie season.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
That's not true at all. Horvat's face off percentage this year is 52 percent while Monahan's is 50 percent. The only area of the game where Monahan is way ahead of Horvat is in goals and that gap would be closer if Bo was playing the amount of minutes that Monahan gets.

In saying that you totally ignore the fact that Horvat plays against bottoms sixers and bottom pairing dmen, while Monahan plays against top lines and top d pairings. You think Horvat would produce more with a few extra minutes against significantly better players?

Going from putting up decent numbers against weak competition to being effective against high end competition is one of the hardest things for young players to do. If someone had talked about Monahan's production last season, when he was regularly having difficulty against mid-level competition, and said "give him more minutes and he'll produce more" I would've laughed my balls off, because he would've been absolutely destroyed on a nightly basis. The growth he's had through the offseason into this one as a player has been nothing short of tremendous, and I think a comparable amount of growth would be required of Horvat before he could be considered comparable to Monahan.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Whatever helps you sleep at night. It's a middling rookie season in his very own rookie class.

:huh: He ranks 16th in rookie scoring. That's hardly middling.

7th in rookie scoring in his draft class without powerplay time

Pretty damn good in my book.

Lehkonen4Calder

Feb 24, 2015
A healthy Jordan Staal would be a fantastic cog on any team. Not sure why that is a negative.

What type of measurement would be more satisfying for you to use than 2 months? He is in his rookie year so its not like we have a wealth of game experience to go back on and review at the NHL level. He has been getting progressively better as the year has gone on, as you would hope with a rookie, and is shooting his way up the Canucks depth chart. Are you honestly trying to argue that a rookie who doesn't instantly start playing to their potential from game 1 is handicapped in the future by that in some way?

He has been a player that has been progressing at an incredible rate over the course of the season, and any discussions that we have around him should be based on the player he is now, rather than some irrelevant full season average figure. To me it just seems obvious that all people are doing is pulling up his stats from the entire year, and assuming they know everything there is to know about how Horvat has played this year.

Jordan Staal is not a bad player but the way Horvat is hyped you would think he is a futur perennial 70 pt selke candidate. :naughty:

Lehkonen4Calder

Feb 24, 2015
The real answer is that we don't know.

They are in different stages of development.

Right now Monahan is better. But, in 5 years who the **** knows.

The chance Horvat end up as good as Monahan are pretty slim but whatever, its not like Monahan right now is what you hope Horvat become in his prime:laugh:

stardefender*

:huh: He ranks 16th in rookie scoring. That's hardly middling.

Your head is so high up in the clouds it's really not worth discussing with you... but if the 16th best rookie campaign is as impressive as you're trying to make it sound, there are a LOT of other players having more impressive debut seasons.

Horvat's is impressive to an extent. It's nowhere near the extent you and a handful of others are trying to make it seem with this hyper overdrive thread. It's a moderately impressive season for a guy who in no way looks like an elite blue chipper like he's being made to sound here.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
The chance Horvat end up as good as Monahan are pretty slim but whatever, its not like Monahan right now is what you hope Horvat become in his prime:laugh:

We'll see next season.

I'm not going to write Bo off.

Your head is so high up in the clouds it's really not worth discussing with you... but if the 16th best rookie campaign is as impressive as you're trying to make it sound, there are a LOT of other players having more impressive debut seasons.

Horvat's is impressive to an extent. It's nowhere near the extent you and a handful of others are trying to make it seem with this hyper overdrive thread. It's a moderately impressive season for a guy who in no way looks like an elite blue chipper like he's being made to sound here.

Bo is on the 4th line playing with Dorsett and Hansen, please.....

I could easily see Bo hit 50 points if he was spoonfed 1st unit PP time and top 6 minutes with top 6 line mates. Like many of these high end prospects end up getting.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC

I have a pretty strong feeling you don't watch him play.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Jordan Staal is not a bad player but the way Horvat is hyped you would think he is a futur perennial 70 pt selke candidate. :naughty:

Why is it not a possibility? It's just as ridiculous to call out posters for labelling him as such, and then for you to label him strictly as a third line centre.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Ahhhhh, points. :)

stardefender*

I could easily see Bo hit 50 points if he was spoonfed 1st unit PP time and top 6 minutes and top 6 line mates. Like many of these high end prospects end up getting.

Then why isn't he playing 2nd line? Surely his putting up 50 points and playing top power play time would be beneficial for a team fighting for the playoffs...

You are out to lunch. He's playing 4th line because they are still somewhat sheltering him (as they should be) to bring him along at the right pace.

He's a very solid looking young prospect who is going to develop into a good player. But many of the things said in the last ten pages are ludicrous and unnecessary. You are way, way too excited and overeager, just like the majority of people bumping this thread every five minutes like it's discussion about a McDavid type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille