Not open for further replies.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Should I snag Barkov or Scheiffele in my keeper league?

I will probably keep either one if they have a good year, but I want them to help out this year as well as I don't have the production to 'wait a year'.

They'd be replacing Heatley.

You can't go wrong with either guy.

Schiefele has been put on Winnipeg's second line between Kane and Setoguchi and has had two points in two games. he is also on the 2nd PP unit. right now Mark looks very solid and should only get better as the season goes along but mostly he has been put in a great situation because Kane has looked like a beast all camp and into the first two games.....Scheif is in the right place at the right time (fantasy hockey pool wise at least)

That being said I love Barkov!! What line is he playing on?

Sartorial

#RegisteredUser
Dec 14, 2011
Saskatoon
If Barkov improves his skating (especially first few steps), he'd have perennial all-star capacity. Seriously the most advanced prospect I've seen, as far as a 200 foot game goes.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
Barkov is so much better than Mackinnon it's not even funny.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
If Barkov improves his skating (especially first few steps), he'd have perennial all-star capacity. Seriously the most advanced prospect I've seen, as far as a 200 foot game goes.
Have only been able to catch one of his NHL games so far, but what impressed me most in his SM-liiga games was how consistently he was making a positive impact on the game. Basically every shift he'd make a good offensive or defensive play, often multiple good plays per shift. Most players go invisible for stretches of the game (or for entire games), Barkov never would. Especially impressive given how you he is/was (just turned 17 at the start of last year's SM-liiga season, and just turned 18 at the start of this NHL season).

If Barkov was born 2 weeks later, he'd be a 2014 draft pick. Instead, he's already playing like a veteran in the NHL. Very, very impressive. He may have been a bit of a surprise choice at 2nd overall, but I think he was the right choice.

Last edited:

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
nhl.com should have headlines and articles about Barkov too, so far this season there has been already at least 4-5 about MacKinnon, Jones and Drouin, even though Drouin was sent into minors he still gets more headlines than Barkov.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
nhl.com should have headlines and articles about Barkov too, so far this season there has been already at least 4-5 about MacKinnon, Jones and Drouin, even though Drouin was sent into minors he still gets more headlines than Barkov.
Not North American and especially not Canadian and secondly: Florida. :sarcasm:

I wonder how much the media hype affects Calder voting? After all, reporters are the ones who vote.

MaNNe

Sep 27, 2009
Finland
Not North American and especially not Canadian and secondly: Florida. :sarcasm:

I wonder how much the media hype affects Calder voting? After all, reporters are the ones who vote.

I think it does affect the voting. Because not all the voters can see every game, so they too rely on a lot of hearsay. In order to win it I think Barkov will have to stand out a lot more than his peers. Although I kind of do understand the lack of media hype on him: 1) He plays in one of the smallest hockey markets in the NHL 2) He isn't Canadian 3) His English isn't good yet so you can't really get much out of him in interviews.

The biggest factor being that he plays for Florida. Imagine if he played for Toronto, the media would be all over him. On the other hand for his development I think it's better that he doesn't have to handle media on a daily basis. He doesn't really seem to enjoy being in the spotlight anyway so Florida is probably one of the better teams for his development. He gets to play first line minutes with lots of responsibilities with no pressure to succeed and no media constantly surrounding him. There is no better way of bringing someone in to the NHL.

He plays a so much more mature game then his age would suggest. You can see that he is still getting used to the NHL, but he has still been really effective. And he is getting better every game. I think yesterday against the black hawks was his best game in the NHL thus far. Other than the assist he had a few really nice passes that could've resulted in a goal and a few really nice defensive plays. Huberdau and Barkov should be an amazing duo to watch in a few years.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
(Almost) no look pass. For once someone could finish (*cough* Versteeg).

Everything starts from Barkov's defensive game game. He is already most complete foward on panthers. Currently their #1 C and he has just turned 18. But i still think that he isn't playing as good as he could.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Everything starts from Barkov's defensive game game. He is already most complete foward on panthers. Currently their #1 C and he has just turned 18. But i still think that he isn't playing as good as he could.

Exactly, it's scary that he has so much more to give.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Nothing surprising about Barkov weve known all along his going to be elite player but tell that to the north american media. Seth vs Nathan took all the headlines and even still the way his played 10 games getting no credit

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
This guy makes more great defensive plays than any of our defenseman per game... Can't wait to see what this kids top end turns out to be.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
It's matter of time when he will be in selke consideration. After first game he have been solid on faceoffs and he has been even on faceoffs against Crosby, Toews, Bergeron. Barkov improves in every game and slowly has put himself in the position where he can be considered as team most important foward. Not too bad for just a barely 18 year old.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Nothing surprising about Barkov weve known all along his going to be elite player but tell that to the north american media. Seth vs Nathan took all the headlines and even still the way his played 10 games getting no credit

I loved the whole attempt to make it seem like Jones got shafted by Florida with them not picking him lol. Trying to make it into some huge storyline that would define their careers. Guy is going to being a star and he`s going to do it with no hype lol.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Said it before and I'll say it again. Barkov could easily be the best player in this draft. Florida did well for themselves...suck it Cherry.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Pierre McGuire immediately ripped the Panthers SECONDS after the pick was announced. Just because he has a love affair with Seth Jones doesn't mean that there are other great players on the board.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Pierre McGuire immediately ripped the Panthers SECONDS after the pick was announced. Just because he has a love affair with Seth Jones doesn't mean that there are other great players on the board.

He would've done the same to Colorado if they hadn't announced ahead of time that they were taking MacKinnon. For the couple of months prior to the draft, Jones was the guy amongst pundits and scouting agencies. And on HFBoards, for the most part; there were only small groups of people who thought Mac, Drouin or Barkov were legitimately better choices than Jones. "Next Pronger", etc.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Really impressed with every game ive seen him in. He is the most complete player the panthers have imo and plays with the poise and confidence of a grizzled veteran.

If only we can get him some quality scoring line mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad