C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013, 2nd overall, Florida) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Koivu was barely a FEL player at Barkov's age. Barkov has turned 18 couple months ago. Can you list many 18 year old europeans who has had big impact as 18 year old? Give him time to adjust. He isn't setting world on fire but he isn't bad at all. One of panthers best players.

canucksPK

May 9, 2011
Okanagan BC
Elite? I hope you are right. But based on tonight's ongoing game against Wild he still has a way to go even to reach Koivu's level. And Koivu is good but hardly elite.

Maybe Barkov will only be the second coming of Mikko koivu, after all. :( (I have tried to shake this dreadful prospect out of my mind; but now seeing them on the ice at the same time - it returns to haunt me. Koivu is still heads and shoulders ahead of Barkov, ****!)

Oh yeah, lets criticize a barely 18 year old rookie for not being as good as a solid first line center on a good team, that makes sense!
Barkov should be doing all the scoring my himself even when his teammates can't do anything with the puck or pass it to him!

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Koivu was barely a FEL player at Barkov's age. Barkov has turned 18 couple months ago. Can you list many 18 year old europeans who has had big impact as 18 year old? Give him time to adjust. He isn't setting world on fire but he isn't bad at all. One of panthers best players.

thomast, quite right. quite right, thomast, as usual. But the sense of maturity in Barkov's game make me lean toward another dreadful prospect: that all in all, barkov's game is essentialy on display right here and now. That it is what it is, and won't develop that much. There is only that much room to improve by getting an extra gear - will it make him more dynamic and less "cerebral" player?

Henderson19

Jul 6, 2007
thomast, quite right. quite right, thomast, as usual. But the sense of maturity in Barkov's game make me lean toward another dreadful prospect: that all in all, barkov's game is essentialy on display right here and now. That it is what it is, and won't develop that much. There is only that much room to improve by getting an extra gear - will it make him more dynamic and less "cerebral" player?

If you're seeing the same things in four years, then worry. But for now, enjoy the promise!

The kid is going to be fine....

Sykwitit

Mar 2, 2013
If we ever get him even some remotely decent wingers he's going to be an absolute monster. Of course that's a big "if" though. Either way he's already been unreal...so strong with the puck...disgusting hands and is always positioned well.

When he fore-checks he doesn't go 100 mph but he just can easily strip D-men so subtlety they don't expect it, it's pretty awesome to watch.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Okay, what Barkov should improve then come the off season?

Agility
Edge work
Lateral movement

First steps
Explosiveness
Reactivity
Straight line speed

Shot: wrist and slap shot
Overall strength levels
Anaerobic endurance
---------------------------

Hopefully his personal trainer is online and reads this...
In fact, Barkov could use the same training program and trainers Granlund did last summer - figure skaters could teach him some edge work, spins and turns...

anders and

Nov 16, 2013

Agility
Edge work
Lateral movement

First steps
Explosiveness
Reactivity
Straight line speed

Overall strength levels
Anaerobic endurance

In fact, Barkov could use the same training program and trainers Granlund did last summer - figure skaters could teach him some edge work, spins and turns...

Yes, lets hope a profesional personal trainer comes here to take advise from HFboards posters how to properly train prospects.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den

So either...

A) Not only are you trolling on the Panthers board but your trolling here also.

B) You are very young and don't understand development nor how the game of hockey is played.

C) Your blind.

D) You were one of the kids who played against him in junior...He kicked your ass all over the ice.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
So either...

A) Not only are you trolling on the Panthers board but your trolling here also.

B) You are very young and don't understand development nor how the game of hockey is played.

C) Your blind.

D) You were one of the kids who played against him in junior...He kicked your ass all over the ice.
Or he is still virgin because barkov had newer microcar than him in Finland!

16086217_sm.jpg

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
You don't need to a Dasyuk/Crosby/Malkin/Kane type of player to be highly effective in the NHL. Guys like Joe Thornton, Mats Sundin, Eric Staal, etc. are/were outstanding hockey players due to their size, skill and brains, without being super explosive or crazy danglers. Barkov could dominate the same way.

He's already a solid NHLer and he just turned 18 two months ago, my guess is the kid has a TONNE of upside left. Watching him in the FEL last year I had him pegged as a sort of mid-way point between Mikko Koivu and Joe Thornton (in terms of both style and ability), and I feel the same way now. I see him being a very good 1st line centre in his prime.

Last edited:

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Mikko Koivu had 1 point in 21 games in SM-liiga as an 18 year old. Koivu really wasn't a hockey god himself at the age of 18. Actually M. Koivu was between 22-23 years old when he had his first 20 point NHL season. And actually it seems like Barkov might hit that point total as soon as this season as he is at around 35 point pace as of now.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
You don't need to a Dasyuk/Crosby/Malkin/Kane type of player to be highly effective in the NHL. Guys like Joe Thornton, Mats Sundin, Eric Staal, etc. are/were outstanding hockey players due to their size, skill and brains, without being super explosive or crazy danglers. Barkov could dominate the same way.

He's already a solid NHLer and he just turned 18 two months ago, my guess is the kid has a TONNE of upside left. Watching him in the FEL last year I had him pegged as a sort of mid-way point between Mikko Koivu and Joe Thornton (in terms of both style and ability), and I feel the same way now. I see him being a very good 1st line centre in his prime.

Reasonable post, ponder (unlike some others above...) - thanks for reminding me once again about this (IIRC you pointed this out already last year).

There's just that "fear" Barkov's ceiling is "another Mikko Koivu". I just don't like that idea for some reason-.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013

Agility
Edge work
Lateral movement

First steps
Explosiveness
Reactivity
Straight line speed

Overall strength levels
Anaerobic endurance

If barkov had those things he would have been hailed Generational talent and picked number 1 and there would be no Connor Macdavid hype now. If he had all those he would be next coming of Gretzky.
No player is perfect
Sidney Crosby is Crybaby,
Ovechin cant defend,
Kessel cant fight,
Chara is slow,
Stlouis is short,
Sedins cant shootout,
Bryzgalov is crazy,
Yakupov is junior.

Barkov is already number 1 center at Florida youngest player in NHL. Give him a break for not being the next gretzky.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
If barkov had those things he would have been hailed Generational talent and picked number 1 and there would be no Connor Macdavid hype now. If he had all those he would be next coming of Gretzky.
No player is perfect
Sidney Crosby is Crybaby,
Ovechin cant defend,
Kessel cant fight,
Chara is slow,
Stlouis is short,
Sedins cant shootout,
Bryzgalov is crazy,
Yakupov is junior.

Barkov is already number 1 center at Florida youngest developplayer in NHL. Give him a break for not being the next gretzky.

So, you think Barkov should settle for the level he is now and not try to develop further and improve weaknesses?! What a bat **** crazy idea. Tell it to him (or Granlund)...

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
So, you think Barkov should settle for the level he is now and not try to develop further and improve weaknesses?! What a bat **** crazy idea. Tell it to him (or Granlund)...

He is 18 year old teenager!! He will develope normally like every other young player. what is this fixation with you that he needs to be worlds best player aged 18?

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
People may think I'm crazy but I see a 6'4 John Tavares when watching Barkov. Having watched Barkov and being a big Tavares fan watching him a lot since he first entered the league they really remind me of each other. Johnny T has a more lethal shot but they both think the game at a higher level, make gorgeous passes out of nowhere and find themselves sneaking into perfect scoring areas. Love me some Barkov, can't wait to see him in five years.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
People may think I'm crazy but I see a 6'4 John Tavares when watching Barkov. Having watched Barkov and being a big Tavares fan watching him a lot since he first entered the league they really remind me of each other. Johnny T has a more lethal shot but they both think the game at a higher level, make gorgeous passes out of nowhere and find themselves sneaking into perfect scoring areas. Love me some Barkov, can't wait to see him in five years.

except barkov is significally better than JT91 defensively at the same age

sundin is probably the closest comparison, without the a top5 GOAT backhand

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
He is 18 year old teenager!! He will develope normally like every other young player. what is this fixation with you that he needs to be worlds best player aged 18?

Well, I had nothing against it if he were. I like him anyway and hope the best for him.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach

This is ridiculous. First of all he is one of our best players every game, even if it doesn't show up on the scoreboard. Second, you are talking about an 18-year old kid that has played a grand total of 20 NHL games. Just on the last year he has improved his skating significantly and during this season alone he has become stronger on the forecheck already... He WILL continue to develop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->