Status
Not open for further replies.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Missed the goal. Still very excited!

CONGRATULATIONS!

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Loved him after watching a bunch of his SM-liiga games during the lockout, and just as high on him now. Big, strong and skilled, but what Barkov is really all about is the hockey IQ. Right place, right time, all the time. An absolute pure centre, always in the thick of the play, constantly involved with and without the puck. What impresses me most about him is that he makes a positive impact pretty much every shift, he was never invisible, even as a 17 year old playing against men. Reminds me of a sort of Mikko Koivu/Joe Thornton hybrid.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Loved him after watching a bunch of his SM-liiga games during the lockout, and just as high on him now. Big, strong and skilled, but what Barkov is really all about is the hockey IQ. Right place, right time, all the time. An absolute pure centre, always in the thick of the play, constantly involved with and without the puck. What impresses me most about him is that he makes a positive impact pretty much every shift, he was never invisible, even as a 17 year old playing against men. Reminds me of a sort of Mikko Koivu/Joe Thornton hybrid.

My thoughts precisely. I got up at 5am to watch Tappara SM-liiga games during the lockout and Barkov was just that impressive. As a Sharks fan, I echo the Joe Thornton comparison. Just so poised at both ends of the rink, phenomenal playmaker, and so smart and economical with his movements. Kid's going to be a star. Honestly, I think the entire top-10 of this past draft are going to be stars (with the exception of Horvat, who I still think will be great).

Znith

Aug 16, 2012

Mats Sundin?

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
Mats Sundin! What a comparison! I was trying to put him in with those other typical Finns, but Sundin seems like a good comparison for now.

But that goal needed more celly...disappointed.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
You can expect a lot from Barkov this year but him celebrating his goals is not one of them.;)

toewsintangibles

Leadership analyst
Dec 23, 2012
Barkov is just channeling his idol Balotelli by not celebrating his goals, its his job to score after all.

arsmaster*

Honestly I think he looks like Kopitar out there, that size and strength down low and in front of the net is amazing for someone so young.

Great pick by the Panthers.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
His skating looks much better than last year. Stride is better and his skating overall looks better. Marko Ojanen has done excellent job with it.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
His skating looks much better than last year. Stride is better and his skating overall looks better. Marko Ojanen has done excellent job with it.

Did not see him play last year so cannot comment on improvement aspect. Have seen him play this year both live and on TV. Seems to be strong on his skates, takes powerful strides and seems to accelerate well for an 18 year old of his size. If skating is the weakest aspect of Barkov's game, then he really must be the beast that Finnish posters say he is...

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Did not see him play last year so cannot comment on improvement aspect. Have seen him play this year both live and on TV. Seems to be strong on his skates, takes powerful strides and seems to accelerate well for an 18 year old of his size. If skating is the weakest aspect of Barkov's game, then he really must be the beast that Finnish posters say he is...

He is not a speed demon but he can suprise when he hits full speed. He is positionally so good so he doesen't have to be in full speed most of the time. He is more like economical with his skating. His skating looks now much better. He uses full blade when he skates last year he didn't and many other improvements. I see that he has potential to be even better skater with better leg strength.

Last edited:

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
He is not a speed demon but he can suprise when he hits full speed. He is positionally so good so he doesen't have to be in full speed most of the time. He is more like economical with his skating. His skating looks now much better. He uses full blade when he skates lat year he didn't and many other improvements. I see that he has potential to be even better skater with better leg strength.

From your lips to God's ear...:D

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Mats Sundin! What a comparison! I was trying to put him in with those other typical Finns, but Sundin seems like a good comparison for now.

But that goal needed more celly...disappointed.

As a Panther homer, Id take a career similar to Sundin's any day of the week! I thought that after his first few shifts, he was comfortable on the ice, and played very well. He isnt the fastest on the ice, but his game is so cerebral, and the game slows down for him. His puck handling is very good, and I thought he protected the puck quite well. It just amazes me that he has this type of game at the age of 18. Man, what is this kid going to be like when he is 22-23 years old? There might be better scorers that come out of his draft class, but I dont think anyone is going to have the two way effect that Barkov will have with the Cats.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
what i dont think people really realized was how fast he went when he almost had a breakaway

he CAN skate very fast for his size, thats what impressed me the most during his first night, except that the stars gave up trying to take the puck from him and just put 3 guys around him taking away the passing lanes when he had the puck lol

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Got a lot of laughs from friends and people on here when I said all year before the draft I'd take Barkov over Drouin but I think as more people get familiar with Barkov and what he truly brings they are going to be extremely impressed and really find out why it wasn't so crazy that Florida took him 2nd

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Should I snag Barkov or Scheiffele in my keeper league?

I will probably keep either one if they have a good year, but I want them to help out this year as well as I don't have the production to 'wait a year'.

They'd be replacing Heatley.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
What do you mean by "huge"? Isn't 6 ft 3 inches quite the norm for NHL-players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad