C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013, 2nd overall, Florida) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Said this in another thread, I've never seen a rookie, no matter the age, so good at stripping the puck from other guys. He's going to win multiple Selkes in his career.

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
He would've done the same to Colorado if they hadn't announced ahead of time that they were taking MacKinnon. For the couple of months prior to the draft, Jones was the guy amongst pundits and scouting agencies. And on HFBoards, for the most part; there were only small groups of people who thought Mac, Drouin or Barkov were legitimately better choices than Jones. "Next Pronger", etc.

I don't know, after the memorial cup tournament Mack kind of took over. A hattrick playing directly Jones in the final game, it wasn't hard to see the Aves taking Mackinnon at that point.

Back on topic, Barkov is pure gold, i know a lot of people were harping the Cats for taking him over Jones, and i really like what Ferraro said at the draft. They can't score, they need to score, and this does it. Elite 2-way force at centre for years to come. Him and Bjugstad are going to be a nightmare for opposing teams.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Barkov's been surprisingly good. I thought he should hone his skills and skating one more year still in the FEL.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Barkov's been surprisingly good. I thought he should hone his skills and skating one more year still in the FEL.

His skating has improved alot from last offseason. You can see when he skates hard he seems to be suprisingly fast. Marko Ojanen has done great job with Barkov as his "skating coach". But i see that he can still improve it. As i have stated that he could be great skater in the NHL. Not elite but tier below which is more than good enough to make him as superstar in this league. I haven't seen any situations in his first 10 games where his skating have been problem. His exceptional positioning helps him alot and that is the biggest reason why he looks "slowish". In last game when versteeg turned the puck to patrick kane for breakaway at OT Barkov was first guy on the D and wasn't far away to catch him.

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
Said this in another thread, I've never seen a rookie, no matter the age, so good at stripping the puck from other guys. He's going to win multiple Selkes in his career.

The best part is that he is also very good in the offensive zone, quick reads, excellent vision and great passer. His shot appears to be solid as well, but hasn't been on display that often. Really excited to have him as a Panther and hoping for nothing but the best for him.:handclap:

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den

Although hes not as good yet he reminds me a lot of Ryan O'Reilly. Maybe a notch below which is impressive being a kid and all

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
As good as he is - wish he had some flash - explosiveness, quickness and agility. He looks a bit stiff and slow. That may limit his offense. (I don't mean only his skating (first steps) but his general outlook: hands, reactions, lateral movement... If Huberdau is like a sportscar, Barkov is like a diesel locomotive!)

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
Well, he just showed plenty of flash in his shootout goal. Didn't help the Panthers much though.

Sloth Slothersons*

Just like all these young D will win multiple Norris trophies each, somehow.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
ibc6XlSIEM8CNY.gif

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Barkov moves in and just shows Grabo how it's done properly.

Dat form. Ridiculous player. I love Barkov.

Ridiculous to think Huberdeau and Barkov will be 1/2 punch for Florida. WOW.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Barkov moves in and just shows Grabo how it's done properly.

Dat form. Ridiculous player. I love Barkov.

Ridiculous to think Huberdeau and Barkov will be 1/2 punch for Florida. WOW.

huberdeau is a winger, but yes

florida will have two very big centers in their top6, if bjugstad pans out - he looks ridicilously good and is a RH center, 6'4 and 220 + 6'6 and 230-ish(?) i think they'll grow into

just enjoy

AJMHABS

Chucky #27
Jan 30, 2011
Montreal, Qc
huberdeau is a winger, but yes

florida will have two very big centers in their top6, if bjugstad pans out - he looks ridicilously good and is a RH center, 6'4 and 220 + 6'6 and 230-ish(?) i think they'll grow into

just enjoy

This is every GM's wet dream.

Love the kid, wanted him over almost every player in last year's draft.

He is going to be a great player.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
How is he doing? I haven't seen any Florida games this season yet.

Him being 3rd in team scoring is no accident. That said, he would be an excellent 3rd line center on a good team. His defense is better than his stats seem to indicate. He is strong on the boards, winning most of the puck battles.

I think he will end up with 40 points or so this season if he plays like he has played this season. If the Panthers defense get their confidence back and start passing the puck, I could see that number get to around 50 or so, but I guess we will have to wait for that 60+ point season a bit longer. Barkov doesn't yet seem like the player who can do all the things by himself.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Him being 3rd in team scoring is no accident. That said, he would be an excellent 3rd line center on a good team. His defense is better than his stats seem to indicate. He is strong on the boards, winning most of the puck battles.

I think he will end up with 40 points or so this season if he plays like he has played this season. If the Panthers defense get their confidence back and start passing the puck, I could see that number get to around 50 or so, but I guess we will have to wait for that 60+ point season a bit longer. Barkov doesn't yet seem like the player who can do all the things by himself.

if people could bury his ridiculous passes instead of shooting wide, he'd be inching up at ppg atm lol

waingr0

May 14, 2010

Thank you. You mentioned his strong board work and puck battles. How is he in front of the net? He's got the size to cause havoc there :laugh:

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Yup. I have really learned to like his game more and more this season. When he adds few steps to his skating and learns to shoot - we'll have have a player.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Thank you. You mentioned his strong board work and puck battles. How is he in front of the net? He's got the size to cause havoc there :laugh:

Not really the best example as he isn't forced to use his strength that much, but still it's a nice piece of hockey history (the youngest goal scorer in the modern NHL and just Barkov's first goal in the first NHL game he plays).

He's very good near the net, but the Panthers tried that strategy and it seemed not to work since when Barkov is not the one passing, the puck rarely gets to the net. I can't find any kind of isolation cams or videos of his sick few shifts. But you should really watch a few Panthers games. The Panthers game works as a joke, and there are always a few exciting players to follow. In every game you see some great individual skill on top of the poor team strategy. Last game they played with effort. If they continue with that times might change for the better though.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Not really the best example as he isn't forced to use his strength that much, but still it's a nice piece of hockey history (the youngest goal scorer in the modern NHL and just Barkov's first goal in the first NHL game he plays).

He's very good near the net, but the Panthers tried that strategy and it seemed not to work since when Barkov is not the one passing, the puck rarely gets to the net. I can't find any kind of isolation cams or videos of his sick few shifts. But you should really watch a few Panthers games. The Panthers game works as a joke, and there are always a few exciting players to follow. In every game you see some great individual skill on top of the poor team strategy. Last game they played with effort. If they continue with that times might change for the better though.

his seampass during the powerplay 2 games ago was just jawdropping, especially as he closed the circle by buring the rebound

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Elite? I hope you are right. But based on tonight's ongoing game against Wild he still has a way to go even to reach Koivu's level. And Koivu is good but hardly elite.

Maybe Barkov will only be the second coming of Mikko koivu, after all. :( (I have tried to shake this dreadful prospect out of my mind; but now seeing them on the ice at the same time - it returns to haunt me. Koivu is still heads and shoulders ahead of Barkov, ****!)

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Elite? I hope you are right. But based on tonight's ongoing game against Wild he still has a way to go even to reach Koivu's level. And Koivu is good but hardly elite.

Maybe Barkov will only be the second coming of Mikko koivu, after all. :( (I have tried to shake this dreadful prospect out of my mind; but now seeing them on the ice at the same time - it returns to haunt me. Koivu is still heads and shoulders ahead of Barkov, ****!)

koivu is one of the best two way centers in the league, injuries haunting him, but he's arguably on the same tier as the other top twoway centers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad