Burrows for Dahlen Part 2 | Rage and Anger Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Vanek is better than burrows. If you wanna argue fit. Then fine. By vanek is better at hockey than Alex burrows.

That's the point! Burrows is a better player for us, period. That's all that matters. You can also argue that Gordon Ramsay is a better chef than Alex Burrows, but that's not the point is it?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
That's the point! Burrows is a better player for us, period. That's all that matters. You can also argue that Gordon Ramsay is a better chef than Alex Burrows, but that's not the point is it?

That's not what your post said. And that's not what some others have said either.

And I don't really see how great burrows fits in. Especially for the next 20 years. Or however long we sognedhim for....

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Vanek is better than burrows. If you wanna argue fit. Then fine. By vanek is better at hockey than Alex burrows.

I wouldn't say he's, "Better at hockey", I would say Burrows is the better overall player if you take all their skills in to account. If its just scoring then yes Vanek is probably better.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
There is a good chance that Dahlen has more hardcore NHL fans right now then he will ever have in his life!

However, I like Van and hope he pans out for them, it's going to be a hard few years for fans out here.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I wouldn't say he's, "Better at hockey", I would say Burrows is the better overall player if you take all their skills in to account. If its just scoring then yes Vanek is probably better.

i bet before the trade everyone would have said vanek was better than burrows.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
im still crying at people saying Vanek > Burrows.

Loool, one is a playoff warrior the other is a playoff ghost.

Geez the hype man himself. If we would have traded vanek you'd already have his jersey and be saying "what Vancouver wanteddahlen for burrows? Are they crazy. Burrows is over the hill!"

Guys. Who cares that vanek is better. This is the small man garbage.

How does burrows prime match up against vaneks current season.

And don't pin this on the anti burrows people.

This is the pro burrows people just spewing ridiculous ish. "Oh we got burrows wait who else went in the trade deadline well we did better than that? Vanek? He's crap burrows> vanek. ".

If you were truly happy with the deal people would be able to say "yeah. We got burrow. Good fit". And then when the argument happens "yeah he might not be the best players dealt but who cares?"

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Geez the hype man himself. If we would have traded vanek you'd already have his jersey and be saying "what Vancouver wanteddahlen for burrows? Are they crazy. Burrows is over the hill!"

This is the pro burrows people just spewing ridiculous ish. "Oh we got burrows wait who else went in the trade deadline well we did better than that? Vanek? He's crap burrows> vanek. ".

If you were truly happy with the deal people would be able to say "yeah. We got burrow. Good fit". And then when the argument happens "yeah he might not be the best players dealt but who cares?"

I'm all for laying criticism but man do you always whine about everything?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Why would someone say that if they truly think Burrows is the better hockey player. This is not a black and white answer, many think Burrows is better and obviously a good portion think Vanek is. I actually would have preferred to take a stab at Stafford than Vanek tbh.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Why would someone say that if they truly think Burrows is the better hockey player. This is not a black and white answer, many think Burrows is better and obviously a good portion think Vanek is. I actually would have preferred to take a stab at Stafford than Vanek tbh.
I think in general. The recent turn of events has altered their opinion.

I mean. The feeling of some has gone from. "What that's so expensive" to "he will help now fine". To "burrows can actually still play". To "burrows > vanek".

If burrows was playing the exact way he is now but for the Habs. There wouldnt be any of that.

Personally. He looks lost playing in our top 9. He mostly looks invisible. And if he's not playing dirty and getting under guys skin. Immnot sure what he's for. But he isn't scoring. Or at least he scored. I hope in the playoffs we see the old burrows. But apparently that burrows was just someone the media made up.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
i bet before the trade everyone would have said vanek was better than burrows.

I would never come out with that blanket statement. Fact remains he is better at some things , Burrows is better at others. Look in the old trade thread. I am on record wanting Burrows and not wanting Vanek. I know some fans will like what Vanek brings more. I like what Burrows brings more especially when the going gets tougher.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I would never come out with that blanket statement. Fact remains he is better at some things , Burrows is better at others. Look in the old trade thread. I am on record wanting Burrows and not wanting Vanek. I know some fans will like what Vanek brings more. I like what Burrows brings more especially when the going gets tougher.

Well. We shall see. Burrows hasn't had to play when the going gets tougher for a while now.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well. We shall see. Burrows hasn't had to play when the going gets tougher for a while now.
Ok ... can you sit on icecream cones and tell what flavor they are?. Are you disputing that Burrows is suited to a tougher close checking , fight for every in of space kind of game?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

I mean. The feeling of some has gone from. "What that's so expensive" to "he will help now fine". To "burrows can actually still play". To "burrows > vanek".

If burrows was playing the exact way he is now but for the Habs. There wouldnt be any of that.

Personally. He looks lost playing in our top 9. He mostly looks invisible. And if he's not playing dirty and getting under guys skin. Immnot sure what he's for. But he isn't scoring. Or at least he scored. I hope in the playoffs we see the old burrows. But apparently that burrows was just someone the media made up.

I can't say I agree with your assessment of his play so far but fair enough, 6pts in the first 6 games is likely to change most peoples opinions that had written him off as too old. I have loved him for years and while I would have preferred a younger Burrows, I think he's still got it as long as his body holds up.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

You've just made up this straw man to make yourself feel better instead of just admitting that he's better than you thought.

The people that are saying Burrows is better than Vanek, and there are like 2 or 3 of them, are all people who liked Burrows before the trade and were happy to get him, like me.

Also, you're trying to create a divisive issue that you can feel good about, when the it's actually two very separate issues.

See, people can be upset at what we paid for Burrows, but still feel that he's better than Vanek. And after getting over the initial dislike for the loss of Dahlen, they can move on and be happy that at least we didn't get Vanek.

Essentially you made up a scenario where you get to diminish posters who are ok with the trade, or don't like Vanek by painting them as wafflers, or fair weather thinkers.

It's disingenuous argument, it's weak, and it doesn't fool anyone. If you want people to continue to respect your opinion on things you have to cut that crap out man. It's ok if people don't agree with you about Burrows and Vanek. Yes, some of us do get to be happy because we have Burrows and not Vanek, while you choose to be sad, but such is life. You have to deal with it yourself instead of trying to blame others.

Cheers!

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Lol, it's past your bedtime bro, go to sleep. You're always on these boards so you should know I've been advocating to get Burrows for more than a month before the trade deadline. I've wanted him more than anyone(among realistic targets).

Terrible post in general, but that part made me chuckle the most.

Now, if you were to say would I have preferred the Vanek deal over the Burrows deal in terms of what was given up? Then we'd have a discussion.

I think Dorion ****ed up by simply not reacting fast enough. He should have moved Lazar early for a 2nd and then go after Boyle while retaining Dahlen. I've never wanted Vanek nor would I have taken him for a 5th rounder. People really don't know what team chemistry and structure is apparently. There's a reason why only Florida was the team to get him for that "little".

The only positive about Burrows is he will be here next 2 years to mentor the younger guns which could have an instrumental impact on their development and could be worth 2nd + pick (in theory). So if Burrows plays his heart out this playoffs, helps us win a round and helps mentor the likes of White... then hell yea I would have given up Dahlen. For now it remains to be seen.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

I often defend you, but you're off base on this one. RKL wanted Burrows from the get go, and he only hypes up players he likes, whether they're on our team or not (Tavares!). He also dumps on players we have if he doesn't like them (Ryan!). He's not a blind homer. He didn't turn pro-Burrows after the trade, unlike possibly others.

As for the player comparison, I haven't seen Vanek's play recently so I can't comment on who's better than who. But if you put a blindfold on me and make me choose I always default to skill over "intangibles" and would go with Vanek as well. Even if he has slowed down we could use a guy like him on the PP at the very least.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Here's a thought. The professionals who negotiated this deal know a lot about hockey. Burrows is a known quantity, but our guys almost certainly know a lot more about dahlen which plays in our favour.

Both sides are professionals though so I'll conclude that this trade probably could go either way.

Or I can fall trap to what behavioural economists call an endowment effect and whine about losing a guy I've seen play maybe once or twice.

Dorion is a career scout and this is his 9-5 job. If he wasn't that hyped about dahlen who am I to say he's wrong?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Here's a thought. The professionals who negotiated this deal know a lot about hockey. Burrows is a known quantity, but our guys almost certainly know a lot more about dahlen which plays in our favour.

Both sides are professionals though so I'll conclude that this trade probably could go either way.

Or I can fall trap to what behavioural economists call an endowment effect and whine about losing a guy I've seen play maybe once or twice.

Dorion is a career scout and this is his 9-5 job. If he wasn't that hyped about dahlen who am I to say he's wrong?

You're a fan. A paying customer. And this is a free country. That's who you are to say he's wrong. Also. It's part of discussion.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Id like to see burrows get in Price's grill. Thats why he is here, havent seen that agitator side from him yet and thats where his value is. I hope we see him do some silly stuff in the Bell Center tonight.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Id like to see burrows get in Price's grill. Thats why he is here, havent seen that agitator side from him yet and thats where his value is. I hope we see him do some silly stuff in the Bell Center tonight.

There is no way in hell we get more than one powerplay in Montreal. You know how intimidated the refs get in that building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad