Burrows for Dahlen Part 2 | Rage and Anger Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
What's really sad about this trade is that if Dorion didn't completely **** away a 2nd round pick in the disastrous Brassard trade, maybe that pick could have been used in this deal instead of Dahlen.

Apparently bad asset management leads to even worse asset management.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
What's really sad about this trade is that if Dorion didn't completely **** away a 2nd round pick in the disastrous Brassard trade, maybe that pick could have been used in this deal instead of Dahlen.

So Dahlen was valued at $2M cash

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011

A 2018 2nd instead of Dahlen would've got this deal done? Highly doubt it.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
A 2018 2nd instead of Dahlen would've got this deal done? Highly doubt it.

In the biggest buyers market in decades a 2018 2nd would have been overpayment for Burrows. Other 35+ vets with NTCs like Iginla and Oduya got to pick and choose where they went and they returned conditional 4th round picks.

Still makes absolutely no sense how Jim Benning of all people was able to pry Dahlen away from the Sens given the leverage that Dorion had. It's absolutely unacceptable. No excuses for such **** poor asset management.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Why speak in such absolutes about something that is very debatable.

I personally would still do the Brassard trade today and I think many others would too.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Why speak in such absolutes about something that is very debatable.

I personally would still do the Brassard trade today and I think many others would too.

100% would do the Brassard trade again. Brassard is amazing. He does all the little things Zibanejad didn't do. We're trying to win the Stanley Cup, not the Asset Management Cup.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Burrows is awesome. Dahlen may or may not be awesome. But one thing is certain, not moving Dahlen would be bad asset management. We simply don't have room to develop him properly with so many better prospects in our system better than him. Best case scenario, he'd be rotting away in the AHL or as a 13th forward, ruining his value. We can't afford to let our assets rot like that. We moved him at an opportune time for a great player that will help us tremendously over the next 2-3 seasons. Brilliant move by Dorion. The $2.5M deal is the icing on the cake. Such a cheap deal for a great vet. This is how great teams are built.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
burrows is pretty good huh, and that the two year extension is a relief than a burden

At $2.5 mil per for two years, Burrows is pretty good value compared to a lot of vets around the league. Keep in mind that we lose Chris Neil's $1.5 mil after this year, so Burrows is just a slightly more expensive but much more productive Neil.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Except that Benning even admitted he had no interest in adding draft picks at this deadline and was focused on addi g prospects (as further proven by the Hansen for Goldobin swap).

You can't move the goal posts to fit your argument. You can moan about the value of yhe deal all yoh want, but theres nothing out there that suggests we could have got Burrows for anything less than Dahlen.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

So there Hale if you want to take that quote and repeat over and over again that it was the biggest buyers market in a decade go ahead....whatever gets you out of bed in the morning.

There is a lengthy interview with LeBrun on the Score where he talks a bit more at length about the dead line and how it evolved. That interview doesn't paint the same story as your view of biggest buyers market in a decade. Lebrun does a good job of going over the days leading up to the deadline. For certain he could have done nothing and waited to see what happened on the last day. He could have said to himself " you know I think that prices are going to drop more in those last few hours than they have in 20+ years" and waited. Absolutely he could have done that. If you are going to quote LeBrun you might as well look at everything he said right? And he did say that.

What would have happened if they didn't drop? What if they didn't drop and he didn't get the players he wanted? What if the prices went up? Then what? What if he ended up paying more? Or what if because they went higher he chose to not pay the prices and got nothing? And what if we got nothing and we're sitting here having lost 4 of our last 6 with a very slippery grip in the last wildcard?

what if it went down in one of those ways? I'm guessing you'd still be ranting but the angle of the rant would be different.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Not only that, but we also got the best player moved at the deadline except maybe for Bishop.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Burrows is awesome. Dahlen may or may not be awesome. But one thing is certain, not moving Dahlen would be bad asset management. We simply don't have room to develop him properly with so many better prospects in our system better than him. Best case scenario, he'd be rotting away in the AHL or as a 13th forward, ruining his value. We can't afford to let our assets rot like that. We moved him at an opportune time for a great player that will help us tremendously over the next 2-3 seasons. Brilliant move by Dorion. The $2.5M deal is the icing on the cake. Such a cheap deal for a great vet. This is how great teams are built.

That's just complete ******** that we didn't have enough room cause of so many prospects better than him. ********.

First off, the were maybe, maybe 4 above him (I had 2 but admit Chlapik is interchangeable and White certainly is higher other than me).

Second off, if hat were the case, how do we develop guys so well who have others above them?

We had room for Stone/Hoffman/Claesson/Wiercioch/Smith/Pageau/etc. who all had more guys ahead of them than Dahlen.

This is something I disagree with entirely.

Not moving Dahlen would be bad asset management....what kind of kool-aid are you drinking to create that backwards logic.

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Vanek is certainly not better than Burrows.

Forgot about Shattenkirk.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I agree....not moving Dahlen would have been fine asset management

but I don't think moving him was bad management. it is what it is... we wanted to add....they identified who they wouldn't move.....got the guys they wanted by only moving what they would move

in that scenario there is nothing wrong with keeping him but nothing wrong with moving him either.

who knows....maybe we get 5 playoff dates this year which is an extra 8 M or so which allows us more flexibility next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad