Burrows - Do we really want him?

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I absolutely care about keeping 'career Canucks' and trying to develop some sense of continuity and tradition more than I value dumping long-time guys who have bled for this franchise for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Man, usually I agree with your posts, but I'm gonna have to disagree here. This franchise isn't in a state where we can afford to not get any extra assets right now. Trade him, bring him back. Let him win a cup.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
Man, usually I agree with your posts, but I'm gonna have to disagree here. This franchise isn't in a state where we can afford to not get any extra assets right now. Trade him, bring him back. Let him win a cup.

Easier said than done but Burrows is a guy who probably would live out of a hotel for 3 months and come back home

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I absolutely care about keeping 'career Canucks' and trying to develop some sense of continuity and tradition more than I value dumping long-time guys who have bled for this franchise for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Bingo.

Sidebar - show of hands who here thinks Benning could swing a trade for Burrows involving a decent return that would make us happy?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm fine with keeping Burrows, but I really don't see a big deal if he was/is moved. If he wants to stay, I won't be upset. If he wnats to go, I won't be upset becaus ehe's not a "career-Canuck" anymore. Like mentioned, Benning would probably get nothing and then not re-sign him anyways, so what's the point.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I am kind of with MS here. Burrows will be 36. Does he want to prolong his career as long as possible or retire as a Canuck? Obviously, IF the Canucks want to bring Burrows back the ideal scenario is to get a draft pick for him and then re-sign him. But not getting anything in return AND bringing Burrows back is not the end of the world. Is Burrows willing to go year by year or sign a 2 year contract for $1-$1.5M with NTC?

I'm not saying that Burrows has necessarily "earned" the right to finish his career as a Canuck the way that Sedins may be entitled to, but I do believe that having life long Canucks in your organization is important.

Furthermore, I am of the opinion that getting a return for a player that Gillis signed with an NTC is just a bonus. Remember that those contracts were signed with the understanding that as long as Gillis was the GM they would never be asked to waive their NTC.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I still don't understand how a long time Canuck playing a few months or a year and a half elsewhere suddenly hurts Canuck tradition. Salo, Naslund, Bertuzzi, Ohlund, Linden, Bieksa, etc are all considered true Canucks.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It'll be a jolt seeing Burrows in a Habs uni...but could happen....but if I can get over seeing Linden wearing an Isles jersey; or Naslund with the Rangers at the end of his career; I can get over anything.

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
He's not going anywhere

if we didnt trade hamhuis or vrbata for a pick we wont be trading burrows the dragonslayer when hes got gas left

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad