Burrows - Do we really want him?

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
In response to some stale threads here, let's discuss Burrows future with this team or continued career in the NHL. We all should remember the old famous thread that kickstarted his career and I am hoping this does the same. He started this year with a 9 game pointless streak and is currently suffering through another one.

He is playing too much this year but still holds his own defensively and other than some cheapshots in dirty games he seems like a good teammate. He is a contributing bottom 6er/PKer and that shouldnt change anytime soon.

I would want him back next year for 1m so add a Benning tax and make it 1.4m on a one year deal.

What would you folks do about his future? All views are welcome.

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008
Burrows brings a lot to this team. Seems like a good guy, hard worker and a solid mentor for the younger guys. All depends on the contract offered and how he is utilized. 1.4 is definitely fair; but wouldn't want him here if hes going to be put on the PP or 1st/2nd lines.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Yup. 3rd liner in the 1-2m range seems fair to me. Benning tax will triple it, if he's not yet fired.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I actually don't think Benning will be interested in bringing Burrows back...but I would certainly be interested. $2M seems fair for what he does. Solid defensively, puts up solid points offensively relative to the minutes he receives. Someone who is a leader on the team and can basically play any role.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I actually don't think Benning will be interested in bringing Burrows back...but I would certainly be interested. $2M seems fair for what he does. Solid defensively, puts up solid points offensively relative to the minutes he receives. Someone who is a leader on the team and can basically play any role.

Yup. I'm all for keeping him. Rebuilding teams need a couple of veteran leaders to show kids the ropes. Burrows is perfectly suited for that.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Let's be honest....it's time for him to move on and I wish him all the best because he has been a warrior for this franchise.

It's just to bad that Benning is his current GM and probably won't help him get a Cup.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Sunny, y2k, Mr and PG getting a little misty eyed when it comes to burrows?

Hope you guys realize that you are some of the best posters here and resigning a guy like Burrows IS exactly what has got us in our current situation.

Keep it real

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Doubt Burrows would be interested in a one-year deal....he'll be looking for at least two years for what likely will be his final contract....doubt the Canucks will give it to him....at this point in their evolution they need to get younger and faster.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
It goes without saying that he isn't what he once was but depending on the price, I'd bring him back. And, of course, assuming he *wants* back.

Here's the thing - in this, the era of the salary cap, you move on from a player like Burrows for several reasons:
a) their effectiveness has decreased, relative to their salary
b) you feel you have a youngster who can contribute in much the same way at a fraction of the cost
or
c) you want to take your organization in a new direction (perhaps targeting other players)

Honestly I don't see A as a huge issue, so long as he's willing to settle for a salary somewhere around the $2mil range (preferably less). I don't see B is a huge issue either as it's not like we're busting at the seams with NHL-ready talent up front (even a guy like Boeser may need time in the minors). C is perhaps the most legitimate reason to move on but imho it shouldn't be if it's simply to make room another foolhardy Eriksson-type move... or even to make room for another team's castoff... that's change for the sake of change to my eyes!

Bottom line is we need warm bodies who can fill out roster spots while we try to retool/rebuild on the fly/whatever... Burrows does this, bringing defensive/PK ability, some offense and leadership/intangibles. Call me crazy but it's valuable for this team to have a blue collar guy around who battled his way up from the ECHL to the NHL. A guy who almost washed his way out of the league (remember the year when he didn't score for like three quarters of the season?) but managed to become a useful two-way superpest who eventually worked his way onto a scoring line. A guy who experienced multiple playoff runs, who accepted a lesser role as he aged without squawking or histrionics. There's a lot of experience there, a lot of insight... and if a team that pushes for some BS mentorpede kicks a guy like Burr to the curb without even kicking the tires on another contract, well... haha which is why I precisely expect it to happen, should this regime remain in place this summer :sarcasm:

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
It goes without saying that he isn't what he once was but depending on the price, I'd bring him back. And, of course, assuming he *wants* back.

Here's the thing - in this, the era of the salary cap, you move on from a player like Burrows for several reasons:
a) their effectiveness has decreased, relative to their salary
b) you feel you have a youngster who can contribute in much the same way at a fraction of the cost
or
c) you want to take your organization in a new direction (perhaps targeting other players)

Honestly I don't see A as a huge issue, so long as he's willing to settle for a salary somewhere around the $2mil range (preferably less). I don't see B is a huge issue either as it's not like we're busting at the seams with NHL-ready talent up front (even a guy like Boeser may need time in the minors). C is perhaps the most legitimate reason to move on but imho it shouldn't be if it's simply to make room another foolhardy Eriksson-type move... or even to make room for another team's castoff... that's change for the sake of change to my eyes!

Bottom line is we need warm bodies who can fill out roster spots while we try to retool/rebuild on the fly/whatever... Burrows does this, bringing defensive/PK ability, some offense and leadership/intangibles. Call me crazy but it's valuable for this team to have a blue collar guy around who battled his way up from the ECHL to the NHL. A guy who almost washed his way out of the league (remember the year when he didn't score for like three quarters of the season?) but managed to become a useful two-way superpest who eventually worked his way onto a scoring line. A guy who experienced multiple playoff runs, who accepted a lesser role as he aged without squawking or histrionics. There's a lot of experience there, a lot of insight... and if a team that pushes for some BS mentorpede kicks a guy like Burr to the curb without even kicking the tires on another contract, well... haha which is why I precisely expect it to happen, should this regime remain in place this summer :sarcasm:
Holy cap!

The retool or rebuild is OVER!

This IS the roster we all have to deal with!

Are you confident Benning will improve it?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Do we really want him? Hmm...maybe we should hash that out over several hundred pages. ;)

And really, I dunno. If he comes back at a cheapo $1 to $2 mil a year deal I wouldn't be deathly opposed. Although as a reward for his years of going above and beyond for this team and franchise, I'd be happy for him if he could sign a similar deal for the Habs and let him go out with his childhood fantasy fulfilled. Get him away from this gong show.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Burr is my fave Canuck of all time hope if he comes back its whats best for him and the team. Maybe like $2 milion plus bonus

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Burr is my fave Canuck of all time hope if he comes back its whats best for him and the team. Maybe like $2 milion plus bonus

He is one of mine as well b2b but do you really want him to take a roster spot from a young guy like yourself?

Move him for picks or prospects....it's really the only the chance we have.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hopefully he's re-signed and finished as a career Canuck.

Great locker room guy and still a terrific defensive winger who can do a lot of heavy lifting for younger linemates ... which is what he's doing for Horvat and Baertschi right now. Would be incredibly disappointing to see him leave.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Hopefully he's re-signed and finished as a career Canuck.

Great locker room guy and still a terrific defensive winger who can do a lot of heavy lifting for younger linemates ... which is what he's doing for Horvat and Baertschi right now. Would be incredibly disappointing to see him leave.

What makes you think he will resign?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I would love to see him re-signed. It comes down to $. Can we convince him to re-sign for less than Dorsett? I think anything less than $2M a year is a solid deal. It would be great if it's around $1.5K. I would give him a 2 year deal with full NTC if it meant bringing down his cap hit. I think he's capable of being at least at 4th liner for 2 more seasons.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Want? Yes.

Need? Sadly no.

Like to see him retire a Canuck or go to a contender. Unfortunately like most of the old core, they had their chance handed to them on silver platter when they were up 2-0 in the 2011 SCF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad