Burrows - Do we really want him?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Absolutely. If he wants it.

It's gotta be at year to year now though.
Excellent mentor, defensive player and our depth stinks so why not.

One of my all-time favorite Canucks.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
He's not holding back any prospects of note. I would be open to resigning him on a cheap, short term deal. He is still effective as a bottom six forward (and for a stretch really helped Horvat and Baertschi).

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
To those posters who want to move on from his era or trade him away, what would you want in return for a trade and who would you replace him with?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Seeing Burrows in another jersey would be a kick in the nuts.

As it stands right now, we need Virtanen to step up and fill it or Rodin to be healthy...
Or.. whoever Benning brings in (ala Rodin, Megna, Chaput) in the '17 offseason.

So basically.. if Benning holds course and decides to wait on the development of his youth, i.e. no significant splashes made.. Burrows is nice fit to come back with his versatility and experience.

But, he's a natural candidate to be turned over for continuing the rebuild.
Ready to cringe... We see Granlund mirroring his role currently...

Would be nice if Rodin can get healthy, and Virtanen takes a second half step up to force a difficult decision tho.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Sure, I'd like to see him back on a one-year deal.

Our forward depth isn't great and he's still a pretty decent bottom 6 player. Certainly better than a number of our other forwards. He's not going to block the development of any of our prospects anyway on a one-year deal to play in the bottom 6.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
He is still a 3rd line player, much better than guys like Dorsett, Megna, Chaput, and others that Benning has brought in.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I love Burrows and have his jersey. But....

I think he should be traded at the TDL for whatever we can get for him, and then potentially brought back on a 1-year deal at no more than $2 Mill.

He's barely a 3rd liner now, that's the reality.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I don't see the point. All it does it bump up crappy AHL talents in Burrows' place, so meh.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
he's been very good for his linemates. maybe struggling a little lately but solid for most of the year. much better than i'd expected.

there would be no reason to trade this guy unless it's to a cup contender and he wants the shot. at the end of the season you see how strong he finishes and if he stays strong, and if he wants another year and you look at who else is moving on. next year with expansion it might be hard to find a guy to fulfill his role.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
To those posters who want to move on from his era or trade him away, what would you want in return for a trade and who would you replace him with?

Ideally I would love a 2nd or prospect.

A 3rd or 4th but no prospect is probably more realistic.

As far as replacing him I :dunno: hopefully Jake can step up but I do know is that there are going to be lots of players available leading up to the Draft due to the Vegas expansion or get a replacement via FA

Father time is catching up to Burrows, Miller and the Sedins so if any of them are willing to waive then we absolutely try and get something for them...anything before it's too late and they are worthless on the market and our roster.

Personally, our genius GM and his comments have me already convinced that we will lose them for nothing or be resigned.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I love Burrows and have his jersey. But....

I think he should be traded at the TDL for whatever we can get for him, and then potentially brought back on a 1-year deal at no more than $2 Mill.

He's barely a 3rd liner now, that's the reality.

Exactly. Good organizations would trade an expiring 35 year old UFA at the deadline and get what they can for him.

You can find younger faster cheaper players who can put up 7 goals.

For all his "valuable leadership" the Canucks were 28th last year and are actually on a similar point pace this year...while Burrows play is fading noticeably.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Exactly. Good organizations would trade an expiring 35 year old UFA at the deadline and get what they can for him.

For all his "valuable leadership" the Canucks were 28th last year and are actually on a similar point pace this year...while Burrows play is fading noticeably.

if it were so easy to find those players we would have. Should have?

Burrows is better than Jack Skille. He's better than Jayson Megna and Michael Chaput. Replace those guys with younger faster 7 goal players and then we can talk about replacing Burrows.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I'm a big Burrows fan, but I hope that he'll be traded at the deadline.

Despite the common view that Stecher joined the Canucks because it's his hometown team, he recently said something to the effect that the key for him was the opportunity he saw. If the Canucks can clear out a few forward veterans, creating space in the line-up, and if they pick up one NCAA free agent who's close to the forward equivalent of a Stecher, that would be a big victory.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
if it were so easy to find those players we would have. Should have?

Burrows is better than Jack Skille. He's better than Jayson Megna and Michael Chaput. Replace those guys with younger faster 7 goal players and then we can talk about replacing Burrows.

What's worse?

3 retooling drafts of Jim Benning and we haven't found a replacement for Burrows

Or

We are forced to resign Burrows because we haven't found a replacement in 3 retooling drafts.

Or

2 and a half years of potential trades and free agency to replace Burrows

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

I sure hope you're not one of those that say Dorsett, Gudbranson, Sutter bring valuable leadership like others think they do, when saying this.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I think thats just a tad too generous.

But Jim is just a tad too Benning so I suppose it's possible.

Its more or less the market price for someone like Burrows. Remember the salary cap is now 73 mil so 2 mil is actually not that much... more so when you consider odds are the salary cap for next season will be 74-75mil (and probably continue to go up slowly).

Of course if we get the right price (probably 2nd-3rd), it also benefits us to try and trade him then sign him as a UFA afterwards (assuming the team getting him just wants a rental and that would likely be the case).

The key is if we don't trade him, we better resign him... i.e. not like Hamhuis part 2 (unless the price becomes ridiculous,)

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
In response to some stale threads here, let's discuss Burrows future with this team or continued career in the NHL. We all should remember the old famous thread that kickstarted his career and I am hoping this does the same. He started this year with a 9 game pointless streak and is currently suffering through another one.

He is playing too much this year but still holds his own defensively and other than some cheapshots in dirty games he seems like a good teammate. He is a contributing bottom 6er/PKer and that shouldnt change anytime soon.

I would want him back next year for 1m so add a Benning tax and make it 1.4m on a one year deal.

What would you folks do about his future? All views are welcome.

I wouldn't mind having Burrows back for 1 year at 1m under the following conditions:

1) The presence of Burrows does not prevent Boeser or Virtanen from making the team (assuming that one or both of Boeser and Virtanen are as good as Burrows next season).

2) If Boeser and/or Virtanen makes the team next season, and management wants to keep Burrows, then the team needs to trade Dorsett. If you can't find a taker for Dorsett, then move Hansen for a draft pick.

Under these conditions, I'd be willing to accept Burrows back for 1 more season at 1 million.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Canucks are a medicore team yet are right near the cap ceiling

Look at their roster.

Burrows and Miller come off totaling $10.5 million.

But, factor in that there are cap increases to markstrom, Hutton, and soon to be for horvat which will be large, likely his cap is more than what burrows cap was, and tryamkin too. Not to mention the unknown of gudbranson.

Plus, there is the basic replacement cost of a low end player just to take up the roster spot.

Not sure if they can afford more than. $1 million to burrows.

Time seems right to move on.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Canucks are a medicore team yet are right near the cap ceiling

Look at their roster.

Burrows and Miller come off totaling $10.5 million.

But, factor in that there are cap increases to markstrom, Hutton, and soon to be for horvat which will be large, likely his cap is more than what burrows cap was, and tryamkin too. Not to mention the unknown of gudbranson.

Plus, there is the basic replacement cost of a low end player just to take up the roster spot.

Not sure if they can afford more than. $1 million to burrows.

Time seems right to move on.

There's a good chance $4.5-5m to bring back Miller. If Demko doesn't kick it up a notch this year it could be a 2 year deal as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad