Burrows - Do we really want him?

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
There's a good chance $4.5-5m to bring back Miller. If Demko doesn't kick it up a notch this year it could be a 2 year deal as well.

I would do a year by year contract to any backup goalie. No reason to go longer than that.

Leave the window open in Demko's 3rd year as a pro to either be in the NHL or AHL depending on his performance.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I would do a year by year contract to any backup goalie. No reason to go longer than that.

Leave the window open in Demko's 3rd year as a pro to either be in the NHL or AHL depending on his performance.

Management and coaching for some reason see him as a #1 workhorse goalie, unfortunately.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Keep him if the price is right. I don't see a reason to get rid of him, as he won't garner anything in the way of prospects, and we don't have a proper replacement for a player of his type right now. It's a no-brainer. He's still a valuable component.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
There are many reasons to keep Burrows.

- 'Leadership' whatever that means, it'll keep Sedins happy at least. Also, 'culture of winning' will be another Benning excuse, point to 2011.
- Work ethic, he does have a great work ethic that should rub off on the younger players

- Fans, let's face it, the business is to sell tickets. Like him or not, he has been a name for the Canucks for many years. In many ways, he is what Linden & co likes to preach, work hard, and work harder. Burrow's story of making it to the NHL is a legend of itself, Burrows will have a positive contribution to ticket sales, and trading him away will only anger the fans that do care about Burrows.

With that said, the contract must be logical.

1 Year, $1m, NTC, yearly repeat until he loses his spot in training camp and becomes press box crew, then ask him to retire.

Let's remember, the roster is 23, but only 20 gets to play in a game. Burrows can still be a good contribution to the team if he's willing to have to sit out games as needed.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
There are many reasons to keep Burrows.

- 'Leadership' whatever that means, it'll keep Sedins happy at least. Also, 'culture of winning' will be another Benning excuse, point to 2011.
- Work ethic, he does have a great work ethic that should rub off on the younger players

- Fans, let's face it, the business is to sell tickets. Like him or not, he has been a name for the Canucks for many years. In many ways, he is what Linden & co likes to preach, work hard, and work harder. Burrow's story of making it to the NHL is a legend of itself, Burrows will have a positive contribution to ticket sales, and trading him away will only anger the fans that do care about Burrows.

With that said, the contract must be logical.

1 Year, $1m, NTC, yearly repeat until he loses his spot in training camp and becomes press box crew, then ask him to retire.

Let's remember, the roster is 23, but only 20 gets to play in a game. Burrows can still be a good contribution to the team if he's willing to have to sit out games as needed.

Tons of people loved Luongo, Kesler and Bieksa but we were all able to move on, and tickets still got sold - well somewhat sold because the team has progressively got worse, but that's another topic. :naughty:

Trading Burrows would upset fans, but not the knowledgeable ones that are willing to trade him and get some assets. Tickets would still be sold and the show would still go on. Besides, it shouldn't be the managements job to base their moves on fans feelings, if they can get an asset for a declining, older player.

A Burrows trade for a pick(s) and then re-sign in the summer is the absolute best route, and possible route. Except, my faith in that happening is very low considering they botched this exact same opportunity with Hamhuis.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
Tons of people loved Luongo, Kesler and Bieksa but we were all able to move on, and tickets still got sold - well somewhat sold because the team has progressively got worse, but that's another topic. :naughty:

Trading Burrows would upset fans, but not the knowledgeable ones that are willing to trade him and get some assets. Tickets would still be sold and the show would still go on. Besides, it shouldn't be the managements job to base their moves on fans feelings, if they can get an asset for a declining, older player.

A Burrows trade for a pick(s) and then re-sign in the summer is the absolute best route, and possible route. Except, my faith in that happening is very low considering they botched this exact same opportunity with Hamhuis.

I have to say that one of the things that causes this fan to lose interest the most is...same old, same old....zzzzzzzz.

Same reason that next year, after 18 straight seasons of the Sedins I really don't want to see them resigned again....after again.

There are so many young, exciting, talented teams around the NHL with better prospect pools (better future) that would be more interesting to follow and watch than the tired old Canuck act.

Can we seriously please move on with a new cast at some point? Only thing at all compelling right now is Horvat, Stecher, Tryamkin give or take...rest can go and I wouldn't care a lick. So done with the 2011 crew that almost won already. It is 2017.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I have to say that one of the things that causes this fan to lose interest the most is...same old, same old....zzzzzzzz.

Same reason that next year, after 18 straight seasons of the Sedins I really don't want to see them resigned again....after again.

There are so many young, exciting, talented teams around the NHL with better prospect pools (better future) that would be more interesting to follow and watch than the tired old Canuck act.

Can we seriously please move on with a new cast at some point? Only thing at all compelling right now is Horvat, Stecher, Tryamkin give or take...rest can go and I wouldn't care a lick. So done with the 2011 crew that almost won already. It is 2017.

The Sedins aren't kept around because of 2011, nor is Burrows. We have no one to replace them. It's really all it boils down to. Want a more exciting prospect pool? Better players? Maybe it's time we purge this management and get a real one that can do those things.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

I'm as big a Sedin fans as their is, but if a decent deal comes I'd take it and run. We need a new direction and it won't happen with the Sedins being here being used as facade for not rebuilding.

Six years ago. Can't be repeated enough. 0 playoff series won since. It could be another 3 or 4 years before we are even competitive enough to win another playoff series. 10 years without a playoff series won....... Time to move on before it drags out to 12 years.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
I'm as big a Sedin fans as their is, but if a decent deal comes I'd take it and run. We need a new direction and it won't happen with the Sedins being here being used as facade for not rebuilding.

Six years ago. Can't be repeated enough. 0 playoff series won since. It could be another 3 or 4 years before we are even competitive enough to win another playoff series. 10 years without a playoff series won....... Time to move on before it drags out to 12 years.

Agree so completely.

The window closed a long time ago. Planning and rebuilding should have started 4 years ago in 2013.

At the end of their contract, at age 38, it is time to move past the Sedins, and get on with a rebuild finally. Just like it is time to move past Burrows at the trade deadline. Guy has like 2 assists in past 17 games.

I don't buy that there " is nothing left to replace him". Change starts happening when a committed vision is set into motion. Even something like top NCAA free agents will come to teams with opportunity when you clear out declining 35 year olds ands make room for them. Draft picks, free agents, prospects...many sources to replace a 7 goal scorer.

You cant halt an organization from progress by saddling it with the fear that you cant find a replacement for Burrows so you better commit to him at age 36 and 37 so he can decline even more. Such a loser mentality.

Last edited:

MeatAndPotatoes

Jul 7, 2016
I'd take him if the price is right. Something like $1 million. His numbers are still pretty respectable, but he's not getting any better and he doesn't really fit a role on the team anymore. He's not the goalscorer he was a few years back, nor is he the energy player or pest he was before that. He doesn't hurt the team and is a good guy to have around for the younger players. But that's it. I wouldn't hesitate to drop him if other impactful or fitting players become available. But based on the current state of Canucks forwards that's unlikely to happen anytime soon.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
My preference would be to let him retire a Canuck by signing cheap one year deals. On a better contract, he is a better option than SKille or Dorsett.

To bring him back, is very much contract depended. There are always cheap interesting FA available to fill his role within the lineup. There isn't a need to have somebody ready on the farm to step in as there will be options out there.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
I'd take him if the price is right. Something like $1 million. His numbers are still pretty respectable, but he's not getting any better and he doesn't really fit a role on the team anymore. He's not the goalscorer he was a few years back, nor is he the energy player or pest he was before that. He doesn't hurt the team and is a good guy to have around for the younger players. But that's it. I wouldn't hesitate to drop him if other impactful or fitting players become available. But based on the current state of Canucks forwards that's unlikely to happen anytime soon.

1mil is basically a 4th liner... remember the salary cap now is over 70 million.

Even Hudler got 2 mil last year as a UFA (probably the closest comparison to Burrows)
Vermette got 1.75/yr over 2 years
Doan 1 year @ 5 mil

Vrbata is the only one who got 1 mil but that was coming off a nightmare season with us. He would likely get much more next season (tho im guessing he'll probably stay with the Yotes or sign with them as a UFA).

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
i dont care about your third round pick and ur self fufilling belief your plan is what wins a cup.

burrows stays. there is no rhyme or reason its emotion

every aspect of sports outside of a few players can be logical with objectives burrows transcends dollars and points

he is a canuck and will be one until he CANT be one

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
i dont care about your third round pick and ur self fufilling belief your plan is what wins a cup.

every aspect of sports outside of a few players can be logical with objectives burrows transcends dollars and points

5 years @ 3 mill sounds reasonable

Get Miller for another 4 years @ 4 mill

We can renegotiate the Sedins in the summer so 5 mill each for another 3 years is reasonable

+ 35 contracts are the way to go with retooling teams as the canucks are going to prove it...just wait and see :nod:

I can't wait to see all those little kids and adults put stickers on their walkers and then auction it off

I'm going to shell out all my money for that kind of memorabilia :sarcasm:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

You don't care about a third round pick? Are you unaware of where Tryamkin was drafted? Trade Burrows for a pick and then re-sign him. This should've happened with Hamhuis and should happen with Burrows.

But it won't because it's too simple.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You don't care about a third round pick? Are you unaware of where Tryamkin was drafted? Trade Burrows for a pick and then re-sign him. This should've happened with Hamhuis and should happen with Burrows.

But it won't because it's too simple.

I absolutely care about keeping 'career Canucks' and trying to develop some sense of continuity and tradition more than I value dumping long-time guys who have bled for this franchise for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

At the end of the season the Canucks will be saving $10,5m a season when the contracts for Miller and Burrows expire.....can't see either guy returning....doubt a $1m, one year deal would do it for Burrows even if it meant staying in Vancouver...both guys could do better on the open market.

Time for the team move on and for these players as well. Canucks need that cap space to seriously address the Horvat contract and fill some other holes up front....but have an uncomfortable feeling that the contracts for Horvat and Gudbranson will eat up a big chunk of that cap space.:help:

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
At the end of the season the Canucks will be saving $10,5m a season when the contracts for Miller and Burrows expire.....can't see either guy returning....doubt a $1m, one year deal would do it for Burrows even if it meant staying in Vancouver...both guys could do better on the open market.

Time for the team move on and for these players as well. Canucks need that cap space to seriously address the Horvat contract and fill some other holes up front....but have an uncomfortable feeling that the contracts for Horvat and Gudbranson will eat up a big chunk of that cap space.:help:

Miller is definitely being offered an extension. Willie has turned to him 22/26 when both have been available and not on backends to b2b.

Burr - not so sure. He had that nice stretch, but should be demoted once Hansen returns. Personally, I'd resign him on cheap 1yr contracts, but I'm a sentimental sod.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I absolutely care about keeping 'career Canucks' and trying to develop some sense of continuity and tradition more than I value dumping long-time guys who have bled for this franchise for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

I don't disagree and have for a long time held this view as well.

But the best way to develop a sense of continuity and tradition is to win. Ideally to win a Cup, but having a consistent playoff team like San Jose would go a long way too.

The franchise is currently in a state of shambles. If sentimentality of seeing guys like Burrows, Edler or Hansen in a different jersey means that some of the pure asset bleeding over the past three years can be reversed, I'll take it. Doubly so if Burrows is to just be re-signed after a playoff run with a contender. Alex Burrows lifting the Stanley Cup would be my favorite hockey memory since 2011.

The "career Canuck" reservation for me only applies right now to the Sedins. And even then, it's fading.

That's all a moot point though if he wants to stay and simply does not want to be traded. In that case, yeah, Burrows has earned the right to be a Canuck for as long as he wants.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

One thing to consider is Sbisa is likely off the books (Vegas expansion draft) or Edler/Tanev being traded; so there's a little more space. Also because there will be a new team, the amount of cap space will be higher so its possible some contracts that look bad now will actually look more appealing in the summer (thus movable).

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
One thing to consider is Sbisa is likely off the books (Vegas expansion draft) or Edler/Tanev being traded; so there's a little more space. Also because there will be a new team, the amount of cap space will be higher so its possible some contracts that look bad now will actually look more appealing in the summer (thus movable).
Friedman's last 30 thoughts piece indicated that the cap would be flat next season.

I would expect granlund to be the player list in expansion over scisba. Twins, Loui, no, Sven, Sutter and Hansen right now appear to be the ones you would protect.

Think Vegas will find enough options on d elsewhere.

$10.5 may be coming off but remember the increases already handed out to markstrom to $3.6, Hutton to $2.8, and expect no to be around $5 million.

Doesn't leave a lot left unless someone gets moved.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Hopefully March 1st.

MeatAndPotatoes

Jul 7, 2016
1mil is basically a 4th liner... remember the salary cap now is over 70 million.

Even Hudler got 2 mil last year as a UFA (probably the closest comparison to Burrows)
Vermette got 1.75/yr over 2 years
Doan 1 year @ 5 mil

Vrbata is the only one who got 1 mil but that was coming off a nightmare season with us. He would likely get much more next season (tho im guessing he'll probably stay with the Yotes or sign with them as a UFA).

Yes, I know. I don't view him as worth more than 4th line money. If another team offers him a nice contract I'd be happy for him and he should take it.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Only way I would bring him back would be on like a zero risk contract to play on the 4th line to transition to a role in the organization like 1.5 mil x 2 or something. Otherwise we really need to start filling these spots of vets who are well past their prime with players with at least some potential or some outside shot of giving the team a newer fresh dynamic. It's been stale for a long time and while I am not as down on the Sutters, Erikssons and Gudbransons of the world as a lot of people, these aren't the types of additions that get you excited about your hockey team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad