Value of: Buffalo Sabres and LA Kings - (Dahlin, not Eichel)

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Cool story. LA doesn't have a single prospect worth Dahlin straight up, and some goofy combination of Vilardi and a 1st doesn't move the needle
Show me where i said there is ?I'll wait? just out of curiosity is there any prospect period worth him in your opinion ?

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Show me where i said there is ?I'll wait? just out of curiosity is there any prospect period worth him in your opinion ?

Your whole post was arguing against my response to the original trade offer, saying Quinn wasn't on the same level as Vilardi, as if Vilardi is some uber rare prospect, but it misses the entire point of the Sabres having no motivation for trading Dahlin, let alone for that package

And the entire point of having a franchise defenseman is to build around them, so no I wouldn't trade 21-year-old Dahlin, period

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Your whole post was arguing against my response to the original trade offer, saying Quinn wasn't on the same level as Vilardi, as if Vilardi is some uber rare prospect, but it misses the entire point of the Sabres having no motivation for trading Dahlin, let alone for that package

And the entire point of having a franchise defenseman is to build around them, so no I wouldn't trade 21-year-old Dahlin, period
my entire post was not anything to do with the trade It was all to do with ur line saying that the kings are not offering there best prospects. and that Quinn who you said was ur top prospect would be like 7th on the kings but ur pretending he has the same value as turcotte or bayfeild which he does not so take ur arrogence and pedal it elsewhere

explore

Jun 28, 2011
my entire post was not anything to do with the trade It was all to do with ur line saying that the kings are not offering there best prospects. and that Quinn who you said was ur top prospect would be like 7th on the kings but ur pretending he has the same value as turcotte or bayfeild which he does not so take ur arrogence and pedal it elsewhere

lmao what? When did I say or even imply that Quinn was on the same level as Turcotte or "Bayfield"?

And no, the Kings didn't offer their best prospects, that would be Byfield or Turcotte, they offered Vilardi, their third-best prospect, who's a similar prospect to Quinn

The Sabres aren't trading Dahlin, and that original offer was a joke

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
You're ignoring the original offer expecting to get the Sabres 21-year-old franchise defenseman without even giving up one of their two best prospects in Byfield or Turcotte. Vilardi is LAs third-best prospect. It's a joke of an offer, especially with the extra, "gotta give to get" and "giving up a lot" added to it

I guess I should edit my offer and remove Quinn, since he's Buffalo's best prospect, and downgrade it to Buffalo's third-best prospect like Borgen or something. Then it'd make more sense and I'm sure you and the guy who made the original offer will be fine trading Byfield for Borgen, Laaksonen, and a top-10 protected 2022 first
you said their was none of la's top prospect.... which was proved wrong the difference between turcotte and vilardi is not much with vilardi potentially being better , bjornfot is la's top d prospect and a 1st is a very fair offer.... not to mention that la has the top prospect pool

Reactions: KingTech

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I'm just going by the deals I saw proposed. As for cap-wise, I'm not too worried for a team like the Rangers...they'll figure out a way around the cap as they have a lot of money to pay experts to manage that sort of thing and to wiggle around like burying players, etc.
Yes we hire the best math cap magicians available and are the only team that have budgeted for this type of position. The wiggling part is not an academic criteria but certainly a bonus.

Reactions: Rorschach

explore

Jun 28, 2011
you said their was none of la's top prospect.... which was proved wrong the difference between turcotte and vilardi not much, bjornfot is la's top d

Vilardi is a Quinn-level prospect, and Bjornfot has top-4 D upside, but is a Jokiharju type prospect, that combined with a mid-first doesn't equal Dahlin.

Kick rocks

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
If by the deadline or by the next entry draft period, Buffalo decides to blow it up and unload as many positive assets in the 25-something range for three times as many assets in the 18-21 year old range. And Buffalo trades Eichel to NYR to start this process.

So this deal/value of this is step 2, pending step 1 of Buffalo dealing Eichel to NYR (for something like Kakko, Lafreniere, and two firsts or whatever) because they decide to blow it up and go much younger and much deeper in the farm.

To LA: Rasmus Dahlin (LHD)

To Buff: Alex Turcotte (C), Rasmus Kupari (C), Kale Clague (LHD), 2021 LA 1st rounder (unprotected), Olli Maata (makes room for Dahlin, can be flipped at the deadline for a pick)

(We can tune the center prospects, we have a kajillion in LA. ie, we can swap Kupari for Tyler Madden for example) I picked the three prospects that I feel are the closest to NHL-ready for Buffalo, that aren't already in LA contributing. Clague is our top PMD-style LHD but if Buffalo wants some other defenseman prospect, that can also be discussed.

As I can see, one of Buffalo's main problems is the previous GM Tim Murray did not patiently stack enough young assets around Eichel, before and after him, and started going after the Moulsens and O'Reillys of the world. Then when that guy got fired, the team still had no success and no upward developmental progress. The GMs after kept up a steady diet of overpaid players like Skinner and Hall instead of promoting low-price well-developed prospects internally. They came out of the Eichel/Reinhart rebuild too soon.

LA has been rumored to have the assets and cap-space to make a deal with Buffalo, for Eichel, but I would say we don't want a 1C. We have tons of Cs and our organization has made it clear we need a dynamic LHD, probably anchoring the 2nd pair with either Matt Roy or Sean Walker (probably the former).

I feel NYR's offer of two young star winger prospects plus firsts can be a good deal IF it is followed up by a major deal with LA to acquire two or more young star centers (and likely a young LHD like Clague) from LA plus at least another first. Then Buffalo can decide to keep or deal Reinhart.

Now they have a ton more prospects, a bunch of firsts in the next several years to round out the rebuild, a ton of cap space to weaponize for even more futures and can work on building a farm system closer to LA and Ottawa's before trying to get NHL results.

I also think Dahlin can really benefit in LA's highly structured, veteran-led team defense, playing behind Doughty on the 2nd pair and playing in an organization with the likes of Rob Blake in the organization, plus playing in front of a Ranford-coached pairing of Petersen-Quick and having centers/forwards like Kopitar controlling the puck down the middle.
I’d counter with Byfield instead of Turcotte and A Thomas instead of Clague.

byfield, Thomas, 2021 1st lottery pick and Kupari. No cap dumps.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Kings should just draft their D man this draft and collect more assets. Buffalo should pay Dahlin his 8 million per this off season and sell other parts. Build around the D man and hope the rebuild goes well for them in the next 5 years.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
I’d counter with Byfield instead of Turcotte and A Thomas instead of Clague.

byfield, Thomas, 2021 1st lottery pick and Kupari. No cap dumps.

Why on earth would we do that if we can draft a great Defender this year?
We will draft in the 5-8 range.

Anderson is already 1st pairing playing Doughty minutes.
Bjornfoot is a top 4 defender and Claque is looking promising.
This means 4 of the top4 are kinda set.
Grans and Faber have top 4 potential. Moverave, Walker, and Roy would be bottom pairing but have no problem to play up.
Dahlin would be nice but i am not willing to overpay to get him.
There is actually no reason to trade for a defender. If any we should look for winger

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Actually Cozens is our top prospect just saying not involved in your debate so continue

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
I'm thinking the same thing as you for Buffalo. It's worse when you measure where Eichel is today vs. Byfield today, not just 1C in the NHL today vs. Byfield today. Which is why I didn't propose Byfield.

But Turc isn't a 1c today either, yet you included him. Byfield has the higher ceiling, at least measuring it at this moment. Byfield would have to be included, as Buffalo is giving up a potential franchise D, so they'd want a potential franchise player back, which would be Byfield.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
But Turc isn't a 1c today either, yet you included him. Byfield has the higher ceiling, at least measuring it at this moment. Byfield would have to be included, as Buffalo is giving up a potential franchise D, so they'd want a potential franchise player back, which would be Byfield.

Byfield ain't getting traded. We are in a good spot to draft a really good d man and have cap space to sign a few UFAs to fill in the void. No need to give up our best asset for another asset we can simply draft. Poor asset management it what causes teams from completing their rebuild to actual building.

Rastin

Jul 14, 2004
A month ago, I would have considered trading Dahlin. He looked like crap playing under Krueger. After watching him come out of his shell the last few weeks, there's no way I trade him. He has been SOOOO good and getting better each night.

Reactions: Hasekperreault23

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
The Kings would need Dahlin more than Eichel, but I can't see them coming to terms. There are too many unknowns on either side of the deal and the price is going to be too steep for LA to pay at this stage, but they may be looking for that deal in 2-3 seasons.
I don't see Kings adding another 10 mil (Eichel) contract and give up Byfield part of any deal.Dahlin makes sense for Kings,not to Rangers.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
If by the deadline or by the next entry draft period, Buffalo decides to blow it up and unload as many positive assets in the 25-something range for three times as many assets in the 18-21 year old range. And Buffalo trades Eichel to NYR to start this process.

So this deal/value of this is step 2, pending step 1 of Buffalo dealing Eichel to NYR (for something like Kakko, Lafreniere, and two firsts or whatever) because they decide to blow it up and go much younger and much deeper in the farm.

To LA: Rasmus Dahlin (LHD)

To Buff: Alex Turcotte (C), Rasmus Kupari (C), Kale Clague (LHD), 2021 LA 1st rounder (unprotected), Olli Maata (makes room for Dahlin, can be flipped at the deadline for a pick)

(We can tune the center prospects, we have a kajillion in LA. ie, we can swap Kupari for Tyler Madden for example) I picked the three prospects that I feel are the closest to NHL-ready for Buffalo, that aren't already in LA contributing. Clague is our top PMD-style LHD but if Buffalo wants some other defenseman prospect, that can also be discussed.

As I can see, one of Buffalo's main problems is the previous GM Tim Murray did not patiently stack enough young assets around Eichel, before and after him, and started going after the Moulsens and O'Reillys of the world. Then when that guy got fired, the team still had no success and no upward developmental progress. The GMs after kept up a steady diet of overpaid players like Skinner and Hall instead of promoting low-price well-developed prospects internally. They came out of the Eichel/Reinhart rebuild too soon.

LA has been rumored to have the assets and cap-space to make a deal with Buffalo, for Eichel, but I would say we don't want a 1C. We have tons of Cs and our organization has made it clear we need a dynamic LHD, probably anchoring the 2nd pair with either Matt Roy or Sean Walker (probably the former).

I feel NYR's offer of two young star winger prospects plus firsts can be a good deal IF it is followed up by a major deal with LA to acquire two or more young star centers (and likely a young LHD like Clague) from LA plus at least another first. Then Buffalo can decide to keep or deal Reinhart.

Now they have a ton more prospects, a bunch of firsts in the next several years to round out the rebuild, a ton of cap space to weaponize for even more futures and can work on building a farm system closer to LA and Ottawa's before trying to get NHL results.

I also think Dahlin can really benefit in LA's highly structured, veteran-led team defense, playing behind Doughty on the 2nd pair and playing in an organization with the likes of Rob Blake in the organization, plus playing in front of a Ranford-coached pairing of Petersen-Quick and having centers/forwards like Kopitar controlling the puck down the middle.

Why is Buffalo desperate to give up a guy who just turned 21 and will be a leader of this team with Krueger shackles off?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Dahlin to Kings for youngsters/prospects
Eichel to Rangers for youngsters/prospects

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad