Rumor: Buff to the Flyers

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Thought I read Florida was looking to strip things down, rid themselves of some contracts, no? Maybe not..

I think Versteeg would be a solid fit here. But I guess you never know until you try.

I wouldn't mind having Versteeg here. However, though Seto seems streaky as advertised I like him when he is on his game and I do think he will score his share with Winnipeg. I just don't know if Seto for Versteeg is just spinning our tires.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I wouldn't mind having Versteeg here. However, though Seto seems streaky as advertised I like him when he is on his game and I do think he will score his share with Winnipeg. I just don't know if Seto for Versteeg is just spinning our tires.

I like Setoguchi as well on some nights. I think he brings a nice chippy game when he's engaged.

You could be bang on, Jet, perhaps it's a lateral move more than anything. I was more so fitting guys in areas of the proposals to not just make deals that I believe would improve us, but also for salary cap reasons. If we were to get a few pieces we'd have to shed something somewhere to even the dollars out. I'm not a big proposal guy given it's almost a waste of time as they're likely never, ever to transpire.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Thought I read Florida was looking to strip things down, rid themselves of some contracts, no? Maybe not..

I think Versteeg would be a solid fit here. But I guess you never know until you try.

and sending them a contract back does what?

I get that it strips it down for the future, but surely they can get a better deal. I imagine there would have to be at least a pick or some asset included with seto going the other way.

As for coburn, i like him. I think his warts are overblown, he's definitly a very effective top 4 dman. Would not mind running Toby-Bogo Coburn-Trouba.

I'd prefer B Schenn to Voracek. Voracek would cost too much value wise and i like the youth in B Schenn. I also love his game.

Having Schief Schenn and Little longterm lets (hopefully) run 3 high end 2c's or convert little back to rw.

Ladd Schenn Little
Kane Schiefele Wheeler

With wings that strong neither center has to be great either, if schief and schenn can both be "abov average 2c's" then I don't mind that top 6 for next 4-5 years.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
and sending them a contract back does what?

I get that it strips it down for the future, but surely they can get a better deal. I imagine there would have to be at least a pick or some asset included with seto going the other way.

As for coburn, i like him. I think his warts are overblown, he's definitly a very effective top 4 dman. Would not mind running Toby-Bogo Coburn-Trouba.

I'd prefer B Schenn to Voracek. Voracek would cost too much value wise and i like the youth in B Schenn. I also love his game.

Having Schief Schenn and Little longterm lets (hopefully) run 3 high end 2c's or convert little back to rw.

Ladd Schenn Little
Kane Schiefele Wheeler

With wings that strong neither center has to be great either, if schief and schenn can both be "abov average 2c's" then I don't mind that top 6 for next 4-5 years.

Sending them an "expiring" contract back is what likely helps them. Versteeg has 2 years remaining after this one at 4+ million per. This is a cap world, in many cases when you make a trade, you've got to take something back, and if that means getting a young talent like Burmistrov in the process, they may do it. Perhaps suits their vision headed forward.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sending them an "expiring" contract back is what likely helps them. Versteeg has 2 years remaining after this one at 4+ million per. This is a cap world, in many cases when you make a trade, you've got to take something back, and if that means getting a young talent like Burmistrov in the process, they may do it. Perhaps suits their vision headed forward.

I don't see how unloading Seto for Versteg really improves us myself. I would rather trade a guy like Stuart who can be replaced effectively internally and a b prospect or 2nd round pick and run with both. If we are out at the deadline can always trade Seto Olli etc to recover the lost picks.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I don't see how unloading Seto for Versteg really improves us myself. I would rather trade a guy like Stuart who can be replaced effectively internally and a b prospect or 2nd round pick and run with both. If we are out at the deadline can always trade Seto Olli etc to recover the lost picks.

Setoguchi for Versteeg was Hank's proposal from the main board.

My thoughts/proposals are on the previous page.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Setoguchi for Versteeg was Hank's proposal from the main board.

My thoughts/proposals are on the previous page.

Gotcha!

Took a look at your deals:

I would easily do the Florida one but I don't see why Florida does it unless they are sure they can get Burmie to return next summer.

As for the Flyers one, I'm just not a fan of Bryden Schenn, he is now in his third year in the league and hasent really shown himself to be a good enough player to be the centerpiece for the calibre of player that Buff is. I could be wrong and he could breakout but he's looking like a 40-45 point guy that doesn't play terrific defense and this is on an all out offensive team. I can't help but think his point totals would regress in more defensive setting.

Not sure myself who I'd deal Buff for at this point but I'd probably want a very good two-way LHD as the centerpiece coming back and maybe a good top 9 two-way winger.

Edit: If we're targeting young centers I'm looking at Ryan O'Rielly and Colin Wilson.

ROR has a 55 point track record in the west and plays an excellent two-way game.

Wilson brings simar offense as Schene but does it while playing strong defense on a defensive team.

Last edited:

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Possible interest in a guy like Buff on the Islanders?

A couple of posts on the trade boards indicate that they are in desperate need of a D man. You would have to think if Snow is going to go and get Vanek, that he's looking for the team to do more than hopefully make the playoffs this year.

The Islanders also have more than enough pieces that they could move that I would be interested in as well.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Possible interest in a guy like Buff on the Islanders?

A couple of posts on the trade boards indicate that they are in desperate need of a D man. You would have to think if Snow is going to go and get Vanek, that he's looking for the team to do more than hopefully make the playoffs this year.

The Islanders also have more than enough pieces that they could move that I would be interested in as well.

If one of Nielson or Hammonic were coming I'd be game. I'm not so much interested in a prospect package though.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
If one of Nielson or Hammonic were coming I'd be game. I'm not so much interested in a prospect package though.

They need D so dealing away Hamonic for Buff is one step forward two steps back. Doubt that Nielson is available either if the point is for them to try to win now.

Guys like Okposo, Nelson, and Bailey are playing right now and are decent pieces.

As are prospects like Strome, Reinhart, and Pulock.

I can see someone not wanting a package that contains prospects, but I think overall that they have the assets to make a deal if they wanted to.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They need D so dealing away Hamonic for Buff is one step forward two steps back. Doubt that Nielson is available either if the point is for them to try to win now.

Guys like Okposo, Nelson, and Bailey are playing right now and are decent pieces.

I can see someone not wanting a package that contains prospects, but I think overall that they have the assets to make a deal if they wanted to.

Opkoso is likely not available for silmiler reasons.

Baily has a career high of 30 ish points in his 6 year career so far. He's playing well so far this year but is a major risk IMO.

Nelson and prospects etc don't really advance this team further short term and isn't the type of trade I'm interested in, especially for our number one asset.

My point is that we shouldnt trade Buff fornthe sake of trading him, i want to see us land at least one impact player for him or two really good pieces.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

I was looking at Philly the other day and scratching my head to try and figure out how such a deal would work.

But looking the Isles over... lots more options. And plenty of players the Jets might be interested in.

Personally, I'm okay with prospects if they're of the calibre of Strome, Reinhart or Pulock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad