• Knights - overtime/shootout

Votes: 7 11.7%

• Total voters

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Which part? That no team would give up a top pairing Dman for him, or that he is over paid? He is paid to be a first line player....he is not. Not his fault the Sabres offered him that deal...but now he has to play up to his cap hit.

Tough to do.
.....That is some opinion.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He has averaged 20 goals a season the last 3 years...sorry that is not a top line player. At least not on a team that has aspirations of being a playoff contender.

Ryan O'Reilly's value to a franchise isn't just about how many goals he scores.

Just like Chris Drury's value to a franchise wasn't just about how many goals he scored.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Risto will never be a top guy. Hes a #2 or #3. We need defensemen, we needed to build defensemen through the draft. We got rid of more NHL ready defensemen in Murrays tenure than we have gained.

We took a huge step backwards in the Rebuild

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
He has averaged 20 goals a season the last 3 years...sorry that is not a top line player. At least not on a team that has aspirations of being a playoff contender.

And he scored 28 the year before that. So was he a first liner that year because he scored 7 more goals than the year after that? What's the cutoff? 24 goals = first liner and 23 = 2nd liner? 25? 26?

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
And he scored 28 the year before that. So was he a first liner that year because he scored 7 more goals than the year after that? What's the cutoff? 24 goals = first liner and 23 = 2nd liner? 25? 26?

Yeah 28 is getting closer. Based on his body of work that year seems like the outlier. I am not saying he isn’t a good player. He is a fantastic 2nd line player (maybe not so far this year). But unfortunately he is paid at a level above his skill set.

Look at the comparables...is he in the same league as Tarasenko? Or Forsberg? Or Marchand?

It’s not a huge deal...he just hasn’t lived up to his contract. Maybe he will and he will start putting up 70 points or 30 goals. So far...no.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Yeah 28 is getting closer. Based on his body of work that year seems like the outlier. I am not saying he isn’t a good player. He is a fantastic 2nd line player (maybe not so far this year). But unfortunately he is paid at a level above his skill set.

Look at the comparables...is he in the same league as Tarasenko? Or Forsberg? Or Marchand?

It’s not a huge deal...he just hasn’t lived up to his contract. Maybe he will and he will start putting up 70 points or 30 goals. So far...no.
Not as good as Tarasenko, better than Forsberg, comparable to Marchand.

ROR is, without question, a top 15 center in the league at worst, and you are being ridiculous. Reminder that Jonathan Toews has hit 70 points exactly once.

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
That’s the sole barometer of top line player?

Yes production should always be the barometer for worth. Absolutely. Particularly in a cap business.

If you put ROR on Toronto, Chicago, Pittsburg, Nashville...is he on the first line?

Heck he isn’t a first line player in Buffalo...and they are a bottom 5 team. There is no argument.

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site

ROR is, without question, a top 15 center in the league at worst, and you are being ridiculous. Reminder that Jonathan Toews has hit 70 points exactly once.
You think Nashville would trade Forsberg for ROR straight up?

Zero chance.

Crosby, Malkin, McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, Backstrom, Draisaitl, Tavares, Teows, Seguin, Stamkos, Schiefle, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Giroux, ....there are 15 centres...who is ROR better than on this list?

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
That’s the sole barometer of top line player?
Clearly.
So in order to get the value out of their overpaid 2nd-line player, they played him 21:30 a night, more than any other NHL forward. Played that non-first-liner like a rented mule.

In fact, the obvious way to maximize roster payback and Sabres team performance is to force-rank by dollar cost per point scored per minute played, then write an algorithm to allocate TOI accordingly, skills, role, and linemates / d-partners be damned.

ADK

LETS GO BUFFALO!
Oct 3, 2017
Eastern NY
The team is just so undisciplined right now. When a two week old expansion team skates more cohesively and draws less penalties that's on the coach. I said before this west coast trip I'd be happy with a 4 point split; three points not so much.

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site

And when ROR wins a Conn Smythe,a Selke and 3 cups...then I will admit I am wrong.

He is a very good player...but how you can say he has lived up to his contract is beyond me.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Yes production should always be the barometer for worth. Absolutely. Particularly in a cap business.

If you put ROR on Toronto, Chicago, Pittsburg, Nashville...is he on the first line?

Heck he isn’t a first line player in Buffalo...and they are a bottom 5 team. There is no argument.

Yea, I think that’s pretty silly

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
And when ROR wins a Conn Smythe,a Selke and 3 cups...then I will admit I am wrong.

He is a very good player...but how you can say he has lived up to his contract is beyond me.

So 20 goals is a first line player if said player also has hardware?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Risto will never be a top guy. Hes a #2 or #3. We need defensemen, we needed to build defensemen through the draft. We got rid of more NHL ready defensemen in Murrays tenure than we have gained.

We took a huge step backwards in the Rebuild

Do you mean NHL ready NOW or NHL ready THEN?

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
You think Edmonton would trade him for ROR straight up? No way.

Put it on the trade board see what the people say?
I quite literally could not care less what the Oilers fan population on this site thinks about anything hockey-related. Been down that rabbithole before, no thanks.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Always love when people bring up ROR's teenage years in the NHL as a teenager to bring him down as a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad