Value of: BUF - SEA expansion draft trade

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
no. It’s the top 23 players with QO for RFAs used to make the cap floor. lije I said that isn’t that hard if they take 10 $4M-$6M players who add up to around $53M

it’s why vegas took some of the players they did that were high salaries. In taking those players they usually got picks and prospects. They made 10 trades acquitting picks and prospects for draft considerations. Then they made about 5 post draft trades of players the picked for futures.

withteams desparateto unload high cap players, there will be a bidding war offering Seattle stuff. Thry can’t take all high cap hits with cap compliance rules where top 23 can’t exceed cap ceiling. Then they also get offered stuff to not take exposed high players...for example the Isles had to expose a young Pullockand give up a 1st+

I dont think we are on the same page , for the expansion draft it's the same as vegas here are the rules

Seattle must choose a minimum of 20 players under contract for the 2021-22 regular season and those with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100 percent of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap. Seattle cannot buy out players chosen in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season

That's from nhl .com 60 percent is just under 49 million.

So if they want to they can choose 30 2 mill players and waive 10 or more of them for their ahl / whatever squad.

But by the time the season starts they have to hit the normal 23 or under person salary cap floor of 60 million which they can do by signing whatever free agents so they aren't obligated to really take any cap dumps from any teams if they dont want them.( or bribed to take them)

Last edited:

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
lmao

Okposo is paid at least double what he should be paid, but still fills a need for the Sabres as a 3rd/4th line forward. He's good for ~30 points over a full season. Giving him up, along with Mittelstadt and a first just to get rid of the last two years of Okposo's contract by the time the expansion draft rolls around? Y'all are out to lunch. Sabres would be absolutely stupid to even consider this.
That’s what it will cost to get rid of Okposo. And Okposo is paid way more than double what he is worth. If he was a ufa right now, he would be lucky if he got 1.5m. Probably more likely to get between 900k-1.2m. It will cost a lot to get rid of those 2 years of that terrible contract. Also, although he is a good 4th liner right now, chances are he keeps getting worse as he ages and may not even be NHL caliber in the last year of his contract.

Absolutely no way that that a prospect like Mittelstadt is all it would take to get rid of him.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
That’s what it will cost to get rid of Okposo. And Okposo is paid way more than double what he is worth. If he was a ufa right now, he would be lucky if he got 1.5m. Probably more likely to get between 900k-1.2m. It will cost a lot to get rid of those 2 years of that terrible contract. Also, although he is a good 4th liner right now, chances are he keeps getting worse as he ages and may not even be NHL caliber in the last year of his contract.

Absolutely no way that that a prospect like Mittelstadt is all it would take to get rid of him.

If we weren’t in a pandemic and had a flat cap, I could see Okposo getting $3M a year. GMs like veterans who work hard, will hit, and occasionally fight. Look at Simmonds last year. He got $4.5M and he was at Okposo levels. I’m sure he’d get overpaid this year too if it wasn’t for all this.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
If we weren’t in a pandemic and had a flat cap, I could see Okposo getting $3M a year. GMs like veterans who work hard, will hit, and occasionally fight. Look at Simmonds last year. He got $4.5M and he was at Okposo levels. I’m sure he’d get overpaid this year too if it wasn’t for all this.
No he wouldn’t.

And what’s even the point of this post? “If it weren’t for the flat cap...”

Well theres a flat cap.. So Okposo is not worth anywhere near 3m, and it would take a lot of assets to get rid of that terrible contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad