Post-Game Talk: ECSF GAME 1 - THE BEAR throws the cat over the cliff.....again - BRUINS 5 Sunrise 1 - BRUINS lead series 1-0

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
What a 24 hrs for Brando, has a baby boy then goes bar down on Bob. And does his usual on PK duty. Mason Lohrei cool and calm as a riverboat gambler. Sometimes he shows a bum hand but when he laid down his cards last night it was all aces. Justin Brazeau gets the Tim Thomas Profiles in Perserverance Award if there was one. A lot of long bus rides before the breakaway and finish in Sunrise. Swayman say no more, other team wonders, " How the f%$# do we score"?

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
The Bruins are already playing with house money after they got outta the 1st round

I want them to beat the panthers so bad, but the Rangers will be a bigger obstacle if they advance

..they're a better all around team than Florida and the Bruins had lots of trouble with the Rags this year
Any team that got this far is a team to take seriously.

Including us.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
It didn't hurt them last night.

Forbort & Wotherspoon both +2.

I’d probably lean these two out of the group or go with shattenkirk next to forbort.

Peeke was pretty rough his first two playoff games.

Bruins were outshot 15-7 and opponents had 4 high danger chances to the bruins 1 with Peeke on the ice in the first two games. He had multiple clear attempts that were direct turnovers and resulted in maple leaf opportunities.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
This may come across as sacrilegious but what Swayman is doing so far is better than Tim Thomas in 2011. As much as Timmy was unbeatable when the chips were down, he had some clunkers and bad goals allowed along the way. Got sandblasted by Tampa a few times in the ECF, gave up a bunch of goals to Montreal.

So far, Sway has been near perfect. Even the games he lost, he only gave up three goals and they were unstoppable. This is Hasek stuff.

Not sacrilegious at all.

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Someone needs to explain to me what is so special about this Florida Panther team because I'm not seeing it at all.

Why do fans (and media) think they are so good? They play this hope-and-pray style of hockey. They shoot from everywhere. Literally. In the offensive zone, they rarely make 3 consecutive passes because the 3rd man to touch the puck will be shooting if the first two guys didn't. Their real strength is their ability to retrieve loose pucks off rebounds and deflected shots and keep the pressure on. They thrive in the chaos. I get keeping it simple especially in the playoffs but their offense is as simplistic as it gets. It's kind of predictable and Swayman looked ready for their random shooting from everywhere. You could see a lot of it coming.

Went out at the deadline an acquired a defensive liability in Tarasenko and a 36-year old Okposo who looks like the wheels have already fallen off and he's doing his best Nick Foligno impression. Great moves......if it was still 2014.

That D-corps? You can have it. I'll take Boston's any day of the week, especially now with Lohrei coming into his own before our very eyes in these playoffs. The Bruins D are simply better equipped to handle the Panthers forecheck than they were last year. Deeper too. And at least in Game 1, the Panthers D aren't packing the house they way they did last year. Where's Gudas? He was a big part of it last year. Marc Staal too. They played a safe conservative game while bringing the physical play. A lot more space tonight to make those east-west plays and cut into the mid-to-high slot against this year's Panther D. The Panthers are less physical on the back-end now no question.

Meanwhile the two worst Bruin D-men last year in Round 1 were easily Clifton and Orlov and they are both gone. Lindholm was clearly compromised looks way better this year.

And the Bruins trump card is in net. On the HNIC broadcast Friedman was saying how the Panthers showed Bobrovsky this year he's better when rested to try to get him to understand why they wanted to get his starts down (still played 58). That was game 64 for 35-year old Bob, Game 51 for Boston's 25-year old starter. Then factor in Bob played longer into last year and the 10-year age difference. Reality is he's coming off his biggest break between Rounds 1 and 2 and his energy level should get progressively lower as the series goes on. There is only one 2-day break in the schedule. He was actually really good last night and the Bruins could of been up 3 or 4 nothing by the end of the 1st had it not been for his big saves. We may have already seen his best game. Winning game 1 against a guy in his mid-30s is huge.

If for some reason Swayman needs a break or whatever at some point in the series, they have a Vezina trophy winning back-up who owned the Panthers in the regular season.

I know it's early and these are black and gold coloured glasses I got on but I try to call a spade a spade and felt going into this series it was a lot closer than the Bruins were getting credit for and one game in I feel even stronger about that opinion. There are media members who think the Bruins are/were gonna get stream-rolled and had no chance.

Maurice looked like he had no answers last night let's see him adjust. Panthers will come out harder in Game 2 but once again, it's likely the same volume shooting gameplan they used tonight. There was definitely some rust there after their break. Personally I don't think they have enough talent up front to play any other way.

Panthers? More like Paper Tigers if you ask me.
Agreed with just about everything you said here. Not gonna pretend I thought the bruins were gonna win this series coming in, or even that'd I pick them now after game 1. But the Panthers certainly aren't the unbeatable juggernaut that they get talked about as by a lot of bruins fans. They were a bottom 10 5v5 offense in the regular season, and the Bruins d core IS objectively better. Especially now that Lohrei has officially arrived and is playing like top 4 guy. If Bob isn't standing on his head and Swayman is then anything can happen.

And I've always felt like the whole thing about the Panthers being a super tough team was overblown. They're a team full of rats. Tkachuk and Bennett suck to play against, Cousins is just flat out dirty. But is terms of actual toughness, Freddy and Maroon might just be the two best fighters in this series. This is gonna be a long series that could go either way IMO, but I don't see us getting steamrolled like so many in the media seem to think.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
He's not quiet on the ice or the bench. Very talkative to judge from some of the Behind the B stuff and the like, good at encouraging his teammates and talking through plays. I get what you're saying though - definitely gives the appearance of the quieter, thoughtful type. Which I think he is too, sometimes at least, but having both aspects makes him a real leader on this team. He's having a fantastic year, in multiple ways.

Articulate and perceptive.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Agreed with just about everything you said here. Not gonna pretend I thought the bruins were gonna win this series coming in, or even that'd I pick them now after game 1. But the Panthers certainly aren't the unbeatable juggernaut that they get talked about as by a lot of bruins fans. They were a bottom 10 5v5 offense in the regular season, and the Bruins d core IS objectively better. Especially now that Lohrei has officially arrived and is playing like top 4 guy. If Bob isn't standing on his head and Swayman is then anything can happen.

And I've always felt like the whole thing about the Panthers being a super tough team was overblown. They're a team full of rats. Tkachuk and Bennett suck to play against, Cousins is just flat out dirty. But is terms of actual toughness, Freddy and Maroon might just be the two best fighters in this series. This is gonna be a long series that could go either way IMO, but I don't see us getting steamrolled like so many in the media seem to think.

And really I can see how the media would view it that way after last year's series and how Florida played in the regular season this year.

This to me is a very different series than last year. In terms of both personnel and how it sets up for each team, especially in goal. In a lot of ways the roles have been completely reversed. Long way to go yet I'm interested to see what Maurice does (if anything) to adjust to the Bruins.

DoubleBack

Apr 29, 2024
Watching the play where Lohrei hit the post, how many penalties could be called against DeBrusk? I see maybe two or three. Cross check, holding, roughing. 😂

Doesn’t matter of course, but just funny.
He was getting away with murder. Having a PK as good as the Bruins have going at the moment give them more leeway the do the funny stuff.

Reactions: BMC

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I remember when Swayman first came up and there were people out there saying who the F—k is this guy? He from Alaska and picked 111th - don’t worry about him. He can’t be any good. Then they were WTF? When Lohrei first appeared this year my bud (who despises the Bs) says “he’s from Louisiana - they know squat about hockey, don’t worry about him”…lol…that’s the que! Kids all over the ice AND the release! Love him. Last night was his WTF moment. Bruins scouting dept chops right there. Ridiculous.

Sick of the Lohrei Louisiana deal he was gone by 1 year old. Grew up in Wisconsin a hockey hotbed.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Wonder if the Panthers are considering making a goalie change or will they stick with Bob? I think the Panthers had a harder time dealing with the size of this Bruin team. They did have their chances last night. Great at cycling pucks. Bruins struggled with break outs but did a better job than the last series. Let's hope Monty can make any adjustments required to counter act whatever Maurice comes up with. On a side note Pasta has suffered a few heavy hits in the playoffs. Hope it doesn't effect his play going forward.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Stay with the heavy lineup. When Peeke is ready get him in there.
Ride Sway for as far as he can carry you.
Agree with you on Swayman.

However if Heinen is healthy, he’s in and somebody has to sit. I’d sit Brown. Also, I’m not using Peeke unless someone is injured or needs an off day. I like how our D played last night. Forbort and Spoon were rock solid on the bottom pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad