Value of: BUF - SEA expansion draft trade

BeTheBallDanny

Oct 30, 2013
I was wondering how much it would cost Buffalo for Seattle to take on Kyle Okposos salary next year. Obviously KO is vastly overpaid @ 6mil until 2023 but he is still good in a bottom 6 role and brings leadership. He has a 15 team no trade list, I’m not sure if that effects expansion draft rules but anyway.

to SEA

Casey Mittlestadt

to BUF

Future Considerations

With the agreement being that Seattle selects Kyle Okposo in the expansion draft.

Casey is a boom/bust middle 6 prospect who has shown flashes of skill but needs some time to develop (the 2020/21 season will be very telling). Many buffalo fans have him inked to be protected in the expansion draft because he’s the type of player buffalo needs more of (skilled, top 6 potential, cheap) but I think he doesn’t fit into the mold buffalo needs to be successful. I’m curious how far off the value is and if something could be worked out.

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
Buffalo would be silly trading him after he just had almost a whole year off to train. Maybe he took things a little more serious since he actually has to battle for a roster spot.

SB716

Jun 1, 2015
Buffalo would be silly trading him after he just had almost a whole year off to train. Maybe he took things a little more serious since he actually has to battle for a roster spot.

Lol what? He’s one of the hardest working guys on the team?

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Is he practicing really hard using his potbelly as a shield? He's been hitting the bean bag and crips, not the gym.

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
No way that deal works with Buffalo.
Maybe we offer a second and they take Okposo . But we get a AHL prospect from Seattle.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
2021 first, middlestadt, Okposo and something else decent for futures
Maybe that does it

lmao

Okposo is paid at least double what he should be paid, but still fills a need for the Sabres as a 3rd/4th line forward. He's good for ~30 points over a full season. Giving him up, along with Mittelstadt and a first just to get rid of the last two years of Okposo's contract by the time the expansion draft rolls around? Y'all are out to lunch. Sabres would be absolutely stupid to even consider this.

Last edited:

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
lmao

Okposo is paid at least double what he should be paid, but still fills a need for the Sabres as a 3rd/4th line forward. He's good for ~30 points over a full season. Giving him up, along with Mittelstadt and a first just to get rid of the last two years of Okposo's contract by the time the expansion draft rolls around? Y'all are out to lunch. Sabres would be absolutely stupid to even consider this.

I like lunch. Really don’t see Seattle lining up for a big contract without getting the better end of it.
There’s nothing wrong with buffalo keeping him. He fills a need, wears a letter and such.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Buffalo will not be trading their 2021 1st.
I wouldn’t be exposing Mittlestadt
they are not in cap trouble they need to unload Okposo.
Okposo at 50% has positive value in a trade.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The price will be higher than that to dump salary. Seattle can create multiple bidding wars IF they choose to go with the approach of short term pain for long term gain and hoard a bunch of 1sts for taking on dumps. However, they could also look at all these cap strapped teams and how many UFA’s had to take bargain 1yr deals and offer those guys slightly more and actually build a pretty damn good team.

My personal opinion is they should take a balanced approach and do a bit of both. Point being, they can pick and choose what cap dump they take, but it will almost certainly come with a 1st attached.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The price will be higher than that to dump salary. Seattle can create multiple bidding wars IF they choose to go with the approach of short term pain for long term gain and hoard a bunch of 1sts for taking on dumps. However, they could also look at all these cap strapped teams and how many UFA’s had to take bargain 1yr deals and offer those guys slightly more and actually build a pretty damn good team.

My personal opinion is they should take a balanced approach and do a bit of both. Point being, they can pick and choose what cap dump they take, but it will almost certainly come with a 1st attached.

in the ED they have to take some high salaries

I see thrm taking 8-10 $4M+ salaried players. They aren’t going to take total wastes of players. From these thry collectpicks and prospects.

Thrn they pick 10-12 under 25 decent players who are exposed.

then the rest are looked Stasl players they draft the trade.

at the end of this before free agency they’d have

18 nhl players
4-6 who can be sent down through waivers
6-8 players in an ELC in 20-21
6-8 prospects who don’t start their first full contract year until 21/22 or later.
Whoever they drafted in 3021

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Id offer them a 2nd to take Okposo, but Francis is too smart to fall for that. He'll demand a 1st and that is where talks end and they go sign Hall to 7x$8m instead.

The Kraken will likely take Lazar and call it a day. Nothnig of real value on the Sabres will be left exposed so no big loss.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

SB716

Jun 1, 2015
You must be thinking of someone else bud

I’m not.

is today Opposite Day?

It isn’t.

The guy almost died and should’ve retired then. He didn’t and works his ass off every shift he plays. I didn’t say he’s good I didn’t say he needs to stay I didn’t say he’s important to the chemistry of this team.

I said he’s a hard working player and that’s true. He doesn’t take a shift off and works as hard as he possibly can. He’s not fast anymore and shouldn’t be playing anything more than a 4th line role that gets him 5-10 minutes a game with a little second unit pp time.

Say he’s done and shouldn’t be playing anymore and I’ll never argue with you. Tell me he needs to work harder and I’ll tell you to actually watch the Sabres and not just look at the stats

Reactions: LeapOnOver

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad