Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] F Tage Thompson signs extension with the Sabres (7 years, $7.14M AAV)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I was offered Auston Matthews straight up for Tage Thompson in my fantasy league and declined the offer. He's been incredible. Who would have thought Matthews would be the 2nd best player born in Arizona :oops:

As an aside, a few weeks ago there were player interviews asking who different guys thought were the most under-rated player in the league. Auston's answer was Thompson (this was weeks ago, pre 5-goal outburst).

Reactions: GRob83

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
I think this is a great deal. The skepticism here baffles me. Yeah I get he had a high shooting percentage etc but if you watch this guy, he’s an absolute stud. 38 goals on a bad team is no fluke. Great deal for the Sabres and their fans, nice to see them showing signs of life. I’m a huge lover of this guy’s game. He’s a big diesel who can score, hit and forecheck like a truck? Sign me the f*** up for some of that. $7.14M AAV will look like a steal in a couple years. This guy’s got 80-90 point potential written all over him. This is the right bet you make. Good deal for the Sabres, congrats Sabres fans!

You wanna talk about a take that aged as best as you could possibly imagine, look no further ^, insane how people actually thought this absolute stud wouldn’t be worth every penny. 30 games in and he’s already underpaid! Congrats Sabres fans, this guy is legit the best player in the world right now and I am not kidding. Shades of Mario.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Honestly it was an extremely risky deal at the time considering his career before last year, but it absolutely looks like it will be a huge, huge steal for the Sabres going forward. Honestly the kind of massive discount that you can build a Cup winning roster out of.

Happy to be wrong about him tbh. He's so fun to watch, easily one of my favorite players in the league. He defies the standard laws of what a player should be capable of given his size and stature.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
His breakout year last year was 38 goals and 30 assists For 68 points

he has 26 goals and 24 assists for 50 points this year. In 32 games.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
His breakout year last year was 38 goals and 30 assists For 68 points

he has 26 goals and 24 assists for 50 points this year. In 32 games.
Didn't he end the season last year on fire, feel like he's had this pace for a while now.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I was very critical of this contract when it was announced.

Turns out there’s a reason Kevyn Adams is an NHL GM and I’m a middle class nobody sitting on my couch at home and posting on HFBoards with a retired quarterback’s name as my screen handle.

At least you are willing to admit it. Some of the whipper sniper fans need to take notice. We all are pretend GM's in the end.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This guy is an absolute sick f***.

Possibly the biggest hog in the league.

He's got it all. Size, Skating, Shot, Strength, and he's got decent vision/play making.

An Anomaly! Massive break out season at age 24 when he was meh from 20-23.

Let me ask you this folks. Do the Sabres deserve development credit or is this all Thompson working hard at addressing his flaws? I bet you some fans will think a team can change KK into a Thompson now with "better development". :facepalm:

Is there a factor of talent playing with talent to this? Seems to me he is breaking out at a time when the Sabres talent is filtering in.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
He's got it all. Size, Skating, Shot, Strength, and he's got decent vision/play making.

Let me ask you this folks. Do the Sabres deserve development credit or is this all Thompson working hard at addressing his flaws? I bet you some fans will think a team can change KK into a Thompson now with "better development". :facepalm:

Is there a factor of talent playing with talent to this? Seems to me he is breaking out at a time when the Sabres talent is filtering in.
I give a lot of credit to Donnie Granato.

When Tage was on wing.. he would basically be stationary waiting on a one timer. Granato switched him to Center and he got to utilize his skating and movement

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

When Tage was on wing.. he would basically be stationary waiting on a one timer. Granato switched him to Center and he got to utilize his skating and movement

I like context like this. It's a good story and it's only beginning.

Thompson shot is scary. He really don't care who is in front on that one timer. Kind of like Weber's shot in his prime. Get out the way or you will get hit!

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Full credit on the contract. Lots of credit on moving to centre. But the progression was already happening. Injuries slowed him down for a bit. He was rushed to the NHL by Blues even and then Sabres. Buffalo realized the mistake (to their credit) and let him figure out the game more in Rochester. He was beginning to dominate in AHL

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
The things Tage does with the puck even when 3 defenders are on him he will still stick handle around them 2 feet from the goal, deke out the goalie and score.

I mean who does that?

Reactions: SwordsgoneWild

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012

From what I see his speed has improved by a lot. He's always had good edges, but it would take him five strides and a nap before he got up to speed. Now he's up to speed in about three.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
What makes it so fun is that there isn’t really a full answer to how this happened. All these things combine, right? Move to center. More minutes. More pp time. late bloomer. Hard work. Chemistry with Skinner and Tuch. It’s all of it…

But.

Adding up all of those things in their best case scenario still shouldn’t get the unbelievable leap we’ve seen from fringe middle six winger to elite #1 center.

it will never make complete sense because it doesn’t happen. The jump he made last year rarely happens. Taking another massive one is just nuts

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Honestly it was an extremely risky deal at the time considering his career before last year, but it absolutely looks like it will be a huge, huge steal for the Sabres going forward. Honestly the kind of massive discount that you can build a Cup winning roster out of.

Happy to be wrong about him tbh. He's so fun to watch, easily one of my favorite players in the league. He defies the standard laws of what a player should be capable of given his size and stature.
Na. Watching the games you saw the elite talent.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018

Decent vision/play-making? He might have the best in the NHL right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: