Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] F Tage Thompson signs extension with the Sabres (7 years, $7.14M AAV)

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Hm. Hope it isn’t too high.
one-million-dollars-21386a60ca.jpg

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Will be curious to see what the contract is. Then makes Buffalo more interesting to watch.

Do they take that step closer to the playoffs. Does Tage rip it up again, or does he revert back to his .5 points per game, or lower self.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Will be curious to see what the contract is. Then makes Buffalo more interesting to watch.

Do they take that step closer to the playoffs. Does Tage rip it up again, or does he revert back to his .5 points per game, or lower self.

Same. Very intrigued by this one. Would love to see him rip it up, but man. Feels a little outlier-y.

I hope I'm wrong, Buffalo fans. Not trying to talk shit. He's a unique player and it was cool watching him last season.

Reactions: Muffinalt

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I'd take a 2 yr bridge straight to free agency and Buffalo can offer that 8th year deal if they start competing and become a legit threat in the East.

2 yrs x $6.5 mil and likely lands $8+ mil on next deal if he can become a consistent 30+ goal, 80pt player in next few seasons.

If not 2 years, it's risky for Buffalo to offer 7-8 yrs IMO but obviously depends on cap hit. I'd think 7.5 x 6-7 years makes sense for both sides?

**Move Skinner in a couple years if he can recoup more value in 30 goals, Buffaloretains a chunk**

Reactions: Matt Ress

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
7 years 5.5M would be a steal
Probably, but I'd be surprised if it were much higher based on one great season after basically looking like a 4th liner. Quite a bit of risk on a long term deal

EDIT: Aaaaaand I'm wrong yeesh hope for Sabres' fans sake last year is closer to the norm

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I remember when Buffalo had that 10-game winning streak a few years ago, Thompson scored a couple goals where I went "wow, only really good players can do that".

Still didn't expect him to break out the way he did last year. It was nice to see and hopefully he can keep it up. 6'7" centers with a good shot don't grow on trees.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Surprised at the skepticism. Not a Sabres fan by any means but Tage felt like a giant condor coming into his own last year. Didn’t feel flukey at all as he added the responsibility of playing center, on both special teams and leading a low scoring club while essentially playing 2nd line minutes (the way the Sabres distributed playing time didn’t really feature a first line).

How often do we have to say it..sometimes big guys take a little while to grow their game into their bodies and few have had as much body to try to get comfortable with at Tage. He just did a lot last year, it wasn’t simply about him scoring more. I think he’s a core player for that franchise and a very unique talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad