Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] F Tage Thompson signs extension with the Sabres (7 years, $7.14M AAV)

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I'd take a 2 yr bridge straight to free agency and Buffalo can offer that 8th year deal if they start competing and become a legit threat in the East.

2 yrs x $6.5 mil and likely lands $8+ mil on next deal if he can become a consistent 30+ goal, 80pt player in next few seasons.

If not 2 years, it's risky for Buffalo to offer 7-8 yrs IMO but obviously depends on cap hit. I'd think 7.5 x 6-7 years makes sense for both sides?

**Move Skinner in a couple years if he can recoup more value in 30 goals, Buffaloretains a chunk**
Love how some of these age

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
A bit of a gamble, but I think a good one to take. 6'7", great skater, great shot, they moved him to centre and it seems like he has a good shot to stick there, definitely a guy who makes a big impact in the middle of the ice. Has to work on his faceoffs and defensive positioning, and we'll see if he can be consistent in that production, but the upside is really high. Watched a number of Leafs/Sabres games last year, he consistently stuck out to me as the best Sabres player.

If he sticks at centre, rounds out all the "centre details" (defensive positioning, faceoffs, etc.), and stays around 1 PPG, he'll be worth more like $9 mil than $7 mil. Even if he moves back to the wing, doesn't round out his game much, and regresses to ~50-60 points, given his size and skating he'd still be passable value at $7 mil. He'd have to regress a lot for this to be a really bad deal, so I think this is a good gamble.
He’s become even better than I expected, already maturing into a truly dominant player worth $11+ mil AAV. So impressive out there, insane skill for such a big man, 100% tilts the ice.

But even this past summer, before his insanely strong play this year, this seemed like a pretty clearly smart gamble for the Sabres to take. He had massive upside, there was a good shot for this deal to be a steal, and minimal downside - even if he regressed significantly he would’ve been OK value. I have to imagine the people ripping on this deal basically never watched him play.

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Tage is the real deal. Dude has an elite shot as well as other attributes to go along with. In 2-3 years people will be like wow, he only makes 7m?

You have a guy like Norris that just signed for 8m, 7.1 is more than fair for Tage.

Tage just continues to make people in this thread look so stupid. I thought it would take 2 years or so for people to consider his contract a steal... Turns out I was wrong and he just needed 2 months.

I own tage thompson in a dynasty keeper league... I desperately want one of those black retro Thompson jeresys. Those look so fire. Might be my favourite player in the NHL rn.

Last edited:
Reactions: ponder

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I never posted about the contract, but I did have my doubts. Kind of awesome to be wrong about this though. He's a very likeable player.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018

This is the kind of salt and sass i LOVE to see.

Hockey TEAM fans are about as knee jerk as most political types for the same reasons.

This is the best value contract of its nature in the league right now with Robertson right behind it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This is the kind of salt and sass i LOVE to see.

Hockey TEAM fans are about as knee jerk as most political types for the same reasons.

This is the best value contract of its nature in the league right now with Robertson right behind it.
There was risk for the Sabres to sign him to that deal after only one season of real NHL production.

The Sabres are being rewarded right now for taking that risk.

Now Sabres fans wish that Adams had been able to sign Cozens to a 7 or 8 year deal before the season started.

:laugh:

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
There was risk for the Sabres to sign him to that deal after only one season of real NHL production.

Now Sabres fans wish that Adams had been able to sign Cozens to a 7 or 8 year deal before the season started.

I never saw it that way. His size and skating alone meant that even a regression with a few years of cap increases would make his contract viable within 2-3 seasons of signing.

Not jealous at all.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015

I’ll never forgive Cozens for having his big breakout before his elc is over lol.

Have a slight breakout…sign for 8 years and then be great, damn it.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Imagine Horvat asking for more than this...lol

Oh, he'll get more than Tage....I'm sure of it.

The big difference is that Bo has at least been solid offensively for the majority of his offensive career and is hitting the UFA market where 30 teams will bid for his services.

Tage literally went from fringe NHLer to "holy hell" in one season and KA banked that "holy hell" was the new norm. That and Tage WANTED to be here and was OK giving up some money to stay here.

Bo will go to the highest bidder (or the highest bidder among contenders) and his salary FLOOR will be Tage's deal.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Oh, he'll get more than Tage....I'm sure of it.

The big difference is that Bo has at least been solid offensively for the majority of his offensive career and is hitting the UFA market where 30 teams will bid for his services.

Tage literally went from fringe NHLer to "holy hell" in one season and KA banked that "holy hell" was the new norm. That and Tage WANTED to be here and was OK giving up some money to stay here.

Bo will go to the highest bidder (or the highest bidder among contenders) and his salary FLOOR will be Tage's deal.

i don’t see 30 being in on Horvat as a UFA Unless other moves are made.

the teams I could see are Detroit ( if Larkin isn’t resigned), Chicago, Anaheim, Boston, Washington, St. Louis ( ROR replacement).

im not sold on the future cap projections that I’ve seen. It’s possible he signs a low 2 yr deal on a team then gets a higher contract once cap goes up and players leave/ retire. Or a team like buffalo signed him to a high 2-3 yr contract.

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
I was offered Auston Matthews straight up for Tage Thompson in my fantasy league and declined the offer. He's been incredible. Who would have thought Matthews would be the 2nd best player born in Arizona :oops:

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Jesus christ
Jesus Christ what?

The poster I quoted said "If he matches his production next year it's a steal"

That production would be 68 points. 7 Million dollars for 68 points isn't a steal IMO, arguably fair value until the end of the deal if he was consistent throughout with a rising cap. A steal for 68 points would probably be in the 3-5 Million range. Marchand is a steal at 6 million for his 100 points. Are you really arguing 7 million for 68 points is a steal or did you just not see what I quoted and you're pretending I said 7 million wouldn't be a steal by the point of 12/09/2022 in the future when he's pacing for 60 goals?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad